+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fifty years on Sunday...

Fifty years on Sunday...

Since we left our house in Clifton at 7am for the long journey on the train to Plymouth to follow the then very stylish (as they have been all season and a few more) magpies. Notts thrashed Plymouth 4-1 in what was a fantastic performance from the boys. Toilet rolls streaming from the train as we left Midland Station. Upon our victory we had to make the trip across Home Park itself to get the train back. We were ambushed by a gang of Plymouth hooligoolies during that walk but it was very funny seeing my two sisters rearranging one if their straw haired fellows with wriggles juicy fruit and my mum whacking one around the head with her tyranny radio. Just wondering if anyone else on here was on that same train? Got back home at 2.30am Sunday Morning. Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Moreton_Pie View Post
    Since we left our house in Clifton at 7am for the long journey on the train to Plymouth to follow the then very stylish (as they have been all season and a few more) magpies. Notts thrashed Plymouth 4-1 in what was a fantastic performance from the boys. Toilet rolls streaming from the train as we left Midland Station. Upon our victory we had to make the trip across Home Park itself to get the train back. We were ambushed by a gang of Plymouth hooligoolies during that walk but it was very funny seeing my two sisters rearranging one if their straw haired fellows with wriggles juicy fruit and my mum whacking one around the head with her tyranny radio. Just wondering if anyone else on here was on that same train? Got back home at 2.30am Sunday Morning. Happy Days.
    Looking at the line-ups, that must have been the last time a Notts match included a Bill, Ernie and a Willie on the same pitch.
    The delightfully named Ray Lugg also at no.11 for Plymouth, managed by Tony Waiters who went on to manage a team in the World Cup finals.

I think you've got the wrong week mate

In that month I had unthinkingly let my fiancee arrange our wedding back in the UK as we were living abroad. To my dismay she had chosen April 28th, a fortnight after the Plymouth game. A couple of relatives chose the match rather than the ceremony/reception. I couldn't get out of it

(no - we didn't make it to even our 10th)

Just wondering if anyone else on here was on that same train? Got back home at 2.30am Sunday Morning. Happy Days.
    I should have been. I bought my train ticket as usual at the previous home game but got struck by some weird virus the day before. I remember sleeping through the alarm and waking up in a sweat at midday. It was one of only 3 games I missed between 1971 and 1981, home and away in all competitions. Gutted that I missed it and had to rely on Radio Nottingham for score updates. There was no full commentary back then, just a quick score update from Colin Slater every 10 minutes. I remember my disappointment at missing the game being tempered by not only the win, but also Forest losing at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I think you've got the wrong week mate
    Just googled it and you're right, we won 1-4 at Plymouth on 14th April 1973.

On the same day Forest lost 1-3 at home to Middlesbrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I should have been. I bought my train ticket as usual at the previous home game but got struck by some weird virus the day before. I remember sleeping through the alarm and waking up in a sweat at midday. It was one of only 3 games I missed between 1971 and 1981, home and away in all competitions. Gutted that I missed it and had to rely on Radio Nottingham for score updates. There was no full commentary back then, just a quick score update from Colin Slater every 10 minutes. I remember my disappointment at missing the game being tempered by not only the win, but also Forest losing at home.
    Missing 3 games in 11 years is very impressive Elite. I doff my cap!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-04-2023 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Missing 3 games in 11 years is very impressive Elite. I doff my cap!
    It was a great time to do it, I was young, free and single and did what I wanted.

Now I'm old, shackled and married and do as I'm told!

Still have my season ticket though, some things are not negotiable.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-04-2023 at 10:28 PM.

Yep sorry I did get my dates wrong. My eyes ain't what they used to be. I saw it in a newspaper cutting about a Leicester v Birmingham game with the results from around the country that weekend and misread the date. That scoreline of ours reminded me of our trip. Must do better at my homework, especially history. 5/10.

I was there and on the train great win.
    On the way back to the train I remember a couple of young Plymouth supporters snatching a young girl's black and white scarf and running of with it.
    I never missed a game home or away and all the home reserve games in those days. Great times.

I wasn’t at the Plymouth game, but I did make it to Brentford for the final away game of the season on Good Friday (April 20). Roy Brown was injured near to the end of a hard fought 1-1 draw and I think one of our outfield players went into goal (was it Bob Worthington?).

Notts played again on the following day (April 21) and drew 0-0 at Meadow Lane with Blackburn, our chief rivals for the second promotion spot behind Bolton. Eric McManus was in goal. The next game followed on Easter Monday (April 23), won 2-0 at home to Scnthorpe. There was no such thing as fixture congestion in those days.

The finale was, of course, the 4-1 thrashing in Tranmere the following Saturday, which took us into Division 2.

Attendances for those final home games were 22000, 15000 and 23000. As others have said....great days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast