+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ot, New surface

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    I was at Palmerston on Sunday watching a 6 a side tournament featuring Scotland supporters from all over the country and they were astonished at the state of Palmy. It really needs a good clean and more painting done. The pitch was covered in seagull ****. What’s the point in replacing it if they’re going to do nothing about the seagulls issue.

Don't mention the seagulls, ! .( Nets won't work ) I had suggested looking at solutions,check out Elgin ,Moray council

What’s the point in spending a fortune on a new pitch but not doing anything about the seagull and pigeon problem at Palmerston. The main stand roof is covered in nesting gulls who will yet again make a total mess of the pitch and stadium.
    It’s actually embarrassing the state of the whole area. Hewitson couldn’t give a toss

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Very exciting times at Palmerston, - new pitch, - new squad, a hungry manager with contacts.................its all good.
    Even more interesting if Annan come up to join us after a superb first - leg play off victory. Check out how many Doonhamer born players and ex - Queens men scored for both the Galabankies and Airdrieonians in their six - goal romps last night.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    What’s the point in spending a fortune on a new pitch but not doing anything about the seagull and pigeon problem at Palmerston. The main stand roof is covered in nesting gulls who will yet again make a total mess of the pitch and stadium.
    It’s actually embarrassing the state of the whole area. Hewitson couldn’t give a toss
    The seagull problem has no simple solutions. They actually roost on the pitch overnight and they, believe it or not, are a protected species and you are not allowed to disturb them especially the nests unless you have a license so those on the roof of the old stand are untouchable. You need to prevent them from nesting in the first instance and this could be achieved by fitting spikes to the surface of the roof which would incur significant costs. Those that roost on the pitch leave quite a mess so there must be a hygiene risk associated with this to the players and ground staff. The question should be put to the local occupational hygiene department to see what should be done to deter these pests.

Elgin Moray the council have installed sonic devices to prevent seagulls nesting, looks like it was successful. Queens could do a similar thing at the ground at less cost.

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news...roblem-299448/

Quote Originally Posted by aljard View Post
    Elgin Moray the council have installed sonic devices to prevent seagulls nesting, looks like it was successful. Queens could do a similar thing at the ground at less cost.

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news...roblem-299448/
    I actually use ultrasonic cat scarers and find them very effective as a deterrent. Sounds like a simple potential solution which could be easily trialled in conjunction with their manufacturers.

Johhny said: "What’s the point in spending a fortune on a new pitch but not doing anything about the seagull and pigeon problem at Palmerston. The main stand roof is covered in nesting gulls who will yet again make a total mess of the pitch and stadium.
    It’s actually embarrassing the state of the whole area. Hewitson couldn’t give a toss"

Johnny, - are you for real, - or are you spouting forth utter bile for the sake of it? Please read your post again, and then try to explain yourself!

If Mr Hewitson "couldn't give a toss" - as you so eloquently state, - then why would he make such a huge capital investment in the playing surface? The Chairman can do very little about the gulls at Palmerston, - or anywhere else in Dumfries and Galloway - and these protected birds (I must stress protected) cannot be interfered with in any way by the Chairman or anyone else, - unless you have some magical solution?

No, - I'm sorry Johnny, - you're out of order and perhaps I can rephrase your nonsensical post: The Chairman and the BOD clearly do care very much for their 'hame' team, because they are not only investing in a brand new playing surface, - which is obviously a pre-requisite for the game, - but they have invested in a very highly regarded new manager, - who is bringing in a new squad for a fresh start in July / August, - and potentially with Annan in our league as well!

As for the seagull problem, - they will not fly away until their food source has been removed, - and unfortunately every street in Dumfries and every road verge in the entire region is adorned with McDonald's, KFC, Costa and Greg's detritus, - providing them with a free meal. Please address your concerns to the government at the highest level and ask them if they can resolve the issue by (for example) taxing carry outs and fining litter louts, - but please do not have a go at our Chairman on this matter. You might as well blame him for the crisis in the NHS as well!

Jardi - try and get a proper look round the whole of Palmerston now the season has ended and you’ll see exactly what I’m meaning. It is an absolute DISGRACE and an embarrassment to our wee Toon. Billy promised to fit netting underneath the stands roofs to deter the nesting of birds but surprise surprise we’re still waiting. The toilets are black and we’ve still no hot water. It won’t be long before this new pitch will be covered in roosting seagulls and bird ****. We’ve already had one game postponed because of the seagull **** problem.
    Everywhere you look it needs a good clean and painted. So many smaller clubs put us to shame including Annan & Stranraer.

Evening Johnny, - I don't disagree that the stadium needs a good clean and a lick of paint, - but could you make your point in a more positive way?

Its not possible to do everything in life, but I can live with seagulls and poor paintwork if we have a winning team on the pitch.

Lets see what happens where it really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Yes that would be a good friendly and I fondly remember Gazza playing for The Toon at Palmy years ago and putting on an absolute master class of midfield play in the 4 - 0 victory in front of 2,757 fans.
    Taking this WAY of topic, but I can never resist talking about this subject!!

That Gazza game was one of the 4 best performances I have ever seen in the flesh. I'm usually not very good at noticing opposition players and no one had heard of Gazza at that time, but he stood out a mile that night.

I also saw Maradona at Hampden in 1979 and no one will ever convince me there has been a better footballer on this earth, ever! Slightly different to Gazza in that 17 year old Diago was already making a name for himself, but still stood out a mile!

Also at Hampden around the same time, Kenny Dalgliesh didn't often hit the heights of his club career playing for Scotland, but I saw him playing with Steve Archibald at Hampden against Portugal in a 4-1 win for Scotland and if we'd played to his (and Archibald's) strengths all the time, we wouldn't have been a bad side!

I could have picked a few for my next one, but I remember sitting behind him in the stand at Palmerston watching Stephen Dobbie curl in his 2nd goal against Falkirk (http://www.mydumfries.com/QOSfan/rep...-20%2015:00:00) and hardly believing I was watching this quality of player at Queens! He was good first time around, but 2nd time was unbelievable!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)