+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grimsby

Grimsby

They've ripped us apart twice this season and although they're placed roughly in the same ball park as we are, tablewise, I can't see us getting anything from this. They clearly outplayed a (deliberately) weakened team in the League Cup but also managed it at Gresty Road in the league. Their play that day was one of the best displays I've seen all season. Whether they can repeat the performance this time around is another matter but I'm expecting them to do just that.
    However, their home form isn't as good as that away so perhaps there's a chance.
    I'm going to err on the side of pessimism and say 2-0 to the Harry Haddocks.

0-3 for me Gazan. I'm the same as you, was very impressed with Grimsby down at Gresty Road. An ideal opportunity to blood Booth tomorrow night, nothing to lose.

Time to give some thought to next season and strike a balance in the team selection. If, as well documented, the likes of Long and Agyei are on their way, then thanks and goodbye, no more games for me. Those who are out of contract, but are talking, like Mcdonald, then all good to play. Important not to play a very weak side but think of the future. LB may think its a game early and prefer to make the changes for a home game.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Time to give some thought to next season and strike a balance in the team selection. If, as well documented, the likes of Long and Agyei are on their way, then thanks and goodbye, no more games for me. Those who are out of contract, but are talking, like Mcdonald, then all good to play. Important not to play a very weak side but think of the future. LB may think its a game early and prefer to make the changes for a home game.
    I disagree WBW. I would put young Booth in goal if for nothing else but to get his debut out of the way and away from home where the scrutiny isn't inclined to be quite so harsh as potentially 4000 people seizing on any errors. Although in fairness to those 4000 they do tend to give youngsters a chance. However, with regard to the rest of the squad, if we are paying them we should be paying them. We want as high a finish as possible and we ain't winning the league next season with the youngsters so the time to "blood" them is next season when they are integrated into the team when we know what we have got. One of the things the club do very well at and have since and during the Dario days. Chuck them in for half a dozen matches and then leave them out for a bit, and as happened with Tabiner bring them back. Tabs has looked more consistent since he was left out for a while.

I don't we're risking anything with Booth compared to the alternative. Any news about injuries re: Adebisi/Finney?
    Only possible experiment with the youngsters I'd do is perhaps Holicek for Ainley.
    Talking of youngsters: nobody talks about Billington, who actually had a couple of games in League 1. Currently playing RB at Leek (I think!)- is that his preferred position or is he yet another young CH?

According to King Kenny, we are going for maximum points but with a degree of experimentation! Read into that what you will lol.
    As for Adebisi, I think he's going the same way as Travis Johnson last year. Charlie Finneys the future at left wing back.

Would love to see both (Charlie) Finney and (Owen) Lunt in the starting XI tonight ...

Fingers crossed that the players are shown where 'Row Z' is before kick-off.

Am hoping that Grimsby's cup exploits have taken its toll on their players and that we can grab all 3 points.

2-1 win Nev to score both goals

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    They've ripped us apart twice this season
    Yep, I was gutted !

Booth starts (to keep Gazan happy) and NEV starts in place of CBR (which helps my prediction)

And the defence let's in another charity offering. Followed closely by Mellor missing an open goal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast