+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT scams and how to recognise them

There was that one case of a retired bank worker who got scammed into emptying his bank account.....

I'd love to have the police round up all the scammers, sell all their property, and empty their bank accounts to (partially) repay the victims.

These scams ruin the lives of those attacked. Chuffin disgustin.

I'd love people to have to take more responsibility for any crime they commit. Kilburn Village Hall had its defibrillator stolen last week, if they find those responsible they should stamp their medical records as do not resuscitate.

Phone boxes! I remember them. Could be fun...although our village one is now a defibrillator station!

Rudeness and mobiles. That’s another story. Can’t believe how often you see couples out and one of them, usually the ‘she’ I think, is texting someone else. I’d honestly get up and go.
    Was in a restaurant in Spain a few years ago and a young woman, having finished texting, then got up and wandered round the restaurant terrace taking full on posed selfies of herself. Totally self obsessed and completely oblivious to everyone else. Maybe AF has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Phone boxes! I remember them. Could be fun...although our village one is now a defibrillator station!

Rudeness and mobiles. That’s another story. Can’t believe how often you see couples out and one of them, usually the ‘she’ I think, is texting someone else. I’d honestly get up and go.
    Was in a restaurant in Spain a few years ago and a young woman, having finished texting, then got up and wandered round the restaurant terrace taking full on posed selfies of herself. Totally self obsessed and completely oblivious to everyone else. Maybe AF has a point.
    Oooh, that's you breaking one of the great unwritten taboos of the modern age. Although I realise its just an observation, so I'll wait for Swale's adjudication on sanction.

I don't take my phone out to meals or similar intimate social events with friends, and have started to make a point of saying so, after a number of occurrences of overuse of mobiles by others.

I was at a funeral recently and was shocked to see people in pews texting on mobiles during ceremony. And selfies in churchyard afterwards.

Now I'm not a religious person but that strikes me as lacking respect to family, fellow grievers and the celebrant (is that the right word)

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I was at a funeral recently and was shocked to see people in pews texting on mobiles during ceremony. And selfies in churchyard afterwards.

Now I'm not a religious person but that strikes me as lacking respect to family, fellow grievers and the celebrant (is that the right word)
    Nowhere's safe now GP, its not about the event its about the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Nowhere's safe now GP, its not about the event its about the people.
    Not all the people either. Those doing it are "it's all about me, me, me"

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

It's like that in NYC at the 911 memorial, you wonder if people even realise what its really about.

I have a theory that the people enjoying themselves in life and are happy generally don't take selfies and don't post on Instagram or Facebook their every move making out how wonderful their life is. Those that do are probably just trying to convince others and themselves everything is wonderful when it's not.

Gotta admit to being a serial selfie-taker (predating smartphones), in appropriate circumstances. I'm really not a fan of taking holiday snaps of places we've been, as the memories should be there in one's brain if the place was memorable enough. But we do take selfies which remind us of the places rather than what they looked like. So an innoccuous selfie of the two of us in a bar in Samos reminds us of the Eupalinian aqueduct, considered (along with many hundreds of other sites!) as being the eight wonder of the ancient word which, when we saw it in the 80's was only a few metres in (acccessible) length but now is a major attraction. Now on the 'bucket list' for a revist, prompted by a selfie, so they do have their uses

We tend to start holidays with a "beer at the airport" photo. The photos being of the beers, not us, so they're not selfies. Family Tradition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)