+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisit, tv license

I can't imagine always to wait to watch things like the world Cup on catchup and then only those shown on itv.

I haven't clicked the link but how do people just not ever watch any live tv then?

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I can't imagine always to wait to watch things like the world Cup on catchup and then only those shown on itv.

I haven't clicked the link but how do people just not ever watch any live tv then?
    I can watch any football match you watch, with a few minutes delay in receiving it. The law says live.
    So the streamers put a slight buffer in it to comply.
    Apart from the world cup, what sports does the BBC offer now? Practically nothing, as they've lost the lot.
    Be down to Cheese rolling finals on Coopers hill soon.

Football/golf/cricket/F1 / Tennis, you name it.
    They get the dregs no one wants

If your content is worth it, people will pay.
    The young in particular don't bother with it. The irony here, its the fogeys vlinging to its tails? Still they're dying off now,

Oh like a boomerang, it comes back

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    I can watch any football match you watch, with a few minutes delay in receiving it. The law says live.
    That just makes you sound a bit desperate Tricky

My understanding is that a TV licence is required to watch anything, including catch up, iPlayer etc and NOT just BBC: regardless of whether the revenue pays for the BBC or not.

It's a bit like any indirect tax eg car licence, gun licence etc and indeed taxes on beer, wine spirits etc. If you want to use the facility (iec watch, drive a car, get pissed,) media, etc, you pay for the privilege.

If you don't want to use a TV (or other streaming device such as PC, tablet or phone) you don't have to pay. It has nowt to do with watching the BBC.

Am I wrong after all these years?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    My understanding is that a TV licence is required to watch anything, including catch up, iPlayer etc and NOT just BBC: regardless of whether the revenue pays for the BBC or not.

It's a bit like any indirect tax eg car licence, gun licence etc and indeed taxes on beer, wine spirits etc. If you want to use the facility (iec watch, drive a car, get pissed,) media, etc, you pay for the privilege.

If you don't want to use a TV (or other streaming device such as PC, tablet or phone) you don't have to pay. It has nowt to do with watching the BBC.

I think you can watch ITVX, 4OD etc without a licence, but you need it for iPlayer and if you watch live any other services, even if you watch it online elsewhere if its being broadcast live in the UK you need one. BBC is nothing to do with it, if you watch any other live TV you need one. I dont know, id have thought watching with a slight delay wouldnt cut it when it comes to legalities, plus i doubt those sort of services themselves are legal so would be a tough one to argue the toss with if caught.

I would assume getting caught though these days is harder i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

Agreeing with you, GP. I think the only way you can legally avoid paying for a licence is if you only EVER watch on demand programmes, BBC iPlayer apart.
    It might explain some of the ‘eccentric’ selections Tricky treats us to however, for all of about 43p per day, he does, in AF’s words, sound increasingly ‘desperate’.
    Sure he never watches his beloved Forest on MotD or keeps up to date with their fortunes on BBC Radio Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Agreeing with you, GP. I think the only way you can legally avoid paying for a licence is if you only EVER watch on demand programmes, BBC iPlayer apart.
    It might explain some of the ‘eccentric’ selections Tricky treats us to however, for all of about 43p per day, he does, in AF’s words, sound increasingly ‘desperate’.
    Sure he never watches his beloved Forest on MotD or keeps up to date with their fortunes on BBC Radio Nottingham.
    That is correct. It’s also illegal to watch ‘as live’, ie programmes with a built in delay of less than (I think) ten seconds, used in the event of a terrorist attack at a live event, and also programmes delayed by the software and hardware used to transmit the signal (those of you with multiple sources ie aerial satellite and online will know that the programme arrives on screen at different times. I had a clever dicky neighbour until last year who was always on the wangle for the sake of, as rA says, less than 50p a day

Tricky, if you can persuade a blind friend or relative, or even total stranger, to move into Tricky Towers with you, you can get a 50% discount on the licence, allowing those with non impaired vision such as yourself (I presume) to watch for half price.

This top tip will save you as much as 20p a day, or more if you charge the blind person exorbitant rent.

I would say he would qualify on his own account, though maybe my definition of blindness is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    That just makes you sound a bit desperate Tricky
    Why?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)