+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reflections on Ston

I know all the words to 'Oles' by the way. I'm not that thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Milburn9 View Post
    I know all the words to 'Oles' by the way. I'm not that thick.
    Teams have figured out how to get a little success from our formation/structure.

Yesterday once again highlighted Longstaff's importance to the team. Bruno had no time on the ball in the first half which lead to the turnover higher up the pitch which allowed them to get the goal.

We need a top class ball winning animal No.6. A Claude Makélélé type, Declan Rice or another destroyer to sit in front of the back 2 and also be Bruno's body guard.

It's as clear as day that we need a proper top notch LB. A pacey player who's as good going forward as he is defending. This will reduce the pressure on Botman & Schar further. Also will benefit Trippier on the opposite flank as the LB can drop in.

Right Winger, another must. Miggy & Murphy has done great but UCL teams are a different level again and we need a Diaby level player for that position. What that means for ASM I don't know. Yes he plays on the left but it is strange that he's not fit but fit enough to do sprints on his insta-feed? Ł50m + I'd sadly say Au Revoir the magician. A Diaby level replacement to compete with Gordon would be required. The unpronounceable fella from Napoli would be ideal but we won't get him. Mitoma would be awesome, however, I'm sure Ashworth's network will shine up a diamond in the rough we've never heard or been linked with!

And I'm sure you will all laugh at me for this one. In advance I know it's totally contrary to our model of young ambitious hungry players who are on about the same salary and goes against the super star name philosophy.

Here goes... Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Purely for the Champions League matches. We maintain our high press work rate and throw Zlatan on at 60-70 mins. Plus he's a serial winner. Won everything at club level. He might well be 40 but name on player in better shape for his age? Isak worships the guy, model professional having that BDE around the squad will breed so much confidence.

I also look at the hated yet successful Alex Ferguson teams of old. He always mixed youth with experience. Brought in an aging Teddy Sheringham, they won the treble. Brought in an aging Henrick Larson and had great success.

Yeah I know it's stupid but it's Zlatan haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    Teams have figured out how to get a little success from our formation/structure.

Yesterday once again highlighted Longstaff's importance to the team. Bruno had no time on the ball in the first half which lead to the turnover higher up the pitch which allowed them to get the goal.

We need a top class ball winning animal No.6. A Claude Makélélé type, Declan Rice or another destroyer to sit in front of the back 2 and also be Bruno's body guard.

It's as clear as day that we need a proper top notch LB. A pacey player who's as good going forward as he is defending. This will reduce the pressure on Botman & Schar further. Also will benefit Trippier on the opposite flank as the LB can drop in.

Right Winger, another must. Miggy & Murphy has done great but UCL teams are a different level again and we need a Diaby level player for that position. What that means for ASM I don't know. Yes he plays on the left but it is strange that he's not fit but fit enough to do sprints on his insta-feed? Ł50m + I'd sadly say Au Revoir the magician. A Diaby level replacement to compete with Gordon would be required. The unpronounceable fella from Napoli would be ideal but we won't get him.
    Mitoma would be awesome, however, I'm sure Ashworth's network will shine up a diamond in the rough we've never heard or been linked with!

And I'm sure you will all laugh at me for this one. In advance I know it's totally contrary to our model of young ambitious hungry players who are on about the same salary and goes against the super star name philosophy.

Here goes... Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Purely for the Champions League matches. We maintain our high press work rate and throw Zlatan on at 60-70 mins. Plus he's a serial winner. Won everything at club level. He might well be 40 but name on player in better shape for his age? Isak worships the guy, model professional having that BDE around the squad will breed so much confidence.

I also look at the hated yet successful Alex Ferguson teams of old. He always mixed youth with experience. Brought in an aging Teddy Sheringham, they won the treble. Brought in an aging Henrick Larson and had great success.

Yeah I know it's stupid but it's Zlatan haha
    The Georgian at Napoli Khvicha Kvaratskhelia is this generations Georgi Kinkladze, He would be outstanding, also Kim Min Jae is a beast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    The Georgian at Napoli Khvicha Kvaratskhelia is this generations Georgi Kinkladze, He would be outstanding, also Kim Min Jae is a beast
    Kim Min Jae - I agree, a lot of clubs are after him. I think that we need a better standard of CB to challenge Schar for the place along side Botman. Kim Min Jae certainly ticks those boxes. Does all the defending to a top top level, so much so that he replaced Koulibaly, actually surpassing the African who TBH has flopped at Chelsea! Glad we dodged that bullet when we were rumoured to be signing him.

I'd be buzzing if we signed Koulibaly. MR Unpronounceabl-a-vic Khvicha Kvaratskhelia would be epic too but Ł100m might be too much for us to afford.

However we need to make sure we are competitive across the man competitions. Throw in Diaby and we have some absolutely brutal options going forward!

Buzzing, can't wait for the summer transfer window.

Most importantly is that we get our business done early and Eddie gets the whole squad on the grass from day 1 of preseason.

This is paramount!

I love Ibrahimovic - brilliant player but he’s too old now.

Destroyers won't work anymore in todays game. Would always be suspended. These type of players have been replaced by ones that can actually draw fouls. They need good vision, pace, anticipation, comfortable on the ball, be.able to pass short, medium and long, football intelligence and NEVER lose the ball. Someone like Bruno actually. Roy.Kesne type physicaliry is not required anymore.

Zlat is way too old. Maybe as a coach.

But this is the Zlat we are talking about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)