+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Relegation - What next.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    If the 49-ers got us relegated to get us on the cheap then they don't understand how difficult it is to get promoted from the championship therefore they don't understand English football. Therefore we are doomed doomed ah tell ye.
    I can understand why some might entertain that scenario, but agree with you that it would be inept, even for our current rag-tag of owner/investors. However the notion that they don't understand English football might not be so far off the mark!

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    The Yanks brought in (with the exception of Ted) were not bad business. The US market is growing rapidly. The prem league broadcasts have boosted the interest exponentially. If Leeds had worked out as envisioned it would have been a huge win financially. Instead it failed miserably. Adams was our best player but other than than it was poor.

However, I don't expect the 49's to repeat that mistake. They learned a very painful lesson.

I do think the 49's have a chance of keeping Adams, Gyabi, Drameh, Cresswell, Strujik, Perkins, Joseph, Grey, Robles and Rutter. That's the core of a very good team in the championship. with strong ownership it also diminishes the chances of having to fire sale players for pure short term money. They can demand more and get it since they have the resources to wait it out.

I think Rutter could be a very good player. Not $35 million but better than either Bamford or Rodrigo was when in the prem. He's so young and talented that he could blossom in the championship.
    Sorry, can't agree on the nature of the yanks brought in.

It was obvious that the only criteria used to select players was;

1. American

2. Those coached by Ted

3. Played for Red Bull teams

If you had all three you were a racing cert to be of interest to LUFC

£150m spent on dross, not including Ted and/or the wages for these misfits, including Rutter

Of the younger player you mention (with the exception of Ruttr, who no-one will want to buy), I'd ask on what basis do the 49-ers have "a chance of keeping" (not a good chance even?) any of them. All have been pi55ed about by the club, either left to warm the bench for years (a la Robles), or loaned out to clubs where they haven't just done well, they have created a place for themselves that the club they have been loaned out to would be happy to see them return to. What prospect is there at the basket case that is LUFC for aspiring young players?

The proposal (of some sort) from the 49-ers isn't likely to appear in much less than a fortnight, right at the start of the next transfer window. It will take time for that to be agreed to, during which time no deals of any sort can be entered into as the ownership of the club will be "in flux", including that of a new coach/manager, a new DoF (do we really need one?), and all the other back room staff who will be required if we are ever to be a successful club again. Why would a young player with talent and a number of interested parties want to wait until all that is sorted before having their agent earn their keep by sorting out a place at a club that knows what its doing, which LUFC haven't for quite some time?

Because its Leeds? Do me a favour. we are a famous club, not a big club, and the sooner those in positions of influence get their heads round that fact, the better.
    Last edited by WTF11; 30-05-2023 at 06:42 PM.

In answer to the question in the thread title, for Radrizzani it seems business-as-usual;

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....keover-4163605

"The Italian businessman is now expected to sell his majority stake in Leeds United following their relegation from the Premier League. On the takeover of Sampdoria, he said: “We are nothing short of thrilled to be able to announce that we have completed the acquisition of this extraordinary club.”"

Nice to know he is thrilled about something, not!

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    In answer to the question in the thread title, for Radrizzani it seems business-as-usual;

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....keover-4163605

"The Italian businessman is now expected to sell his majority stake in Leeds United following their relegation from the Premier League. On the takeover of Sampdoria, he said: “We are nothing short of thrilled to be able to announce that we have completed the acquisition of this extraordinary club.”"

Nice to know he is thrilled about something, not!
    What is he supposed to do - wear sack cloth and ashes.

He likes football but his is a business man first and foremost. He invested in Leeds and leaves us in a far better position than when he took over on any metric. Faculties better, playing squad better, finances better, youth squad in the top league etc.

Yes the last couple of years he has made some big mistakes but he also gave many of us some of the best football we have ever seen. Could it have been better, sure, but the way some speak it’s as if he has committed a crime.

His chapter is closing and another one will soon begin. Doesn’t mean we have to endlessly trash the guy?

Oh wait, that’s what you do.

It's hard to defend the yanks after the year we had but I do seem to recall that the mighty 3 lions didn't do **** against them. Mckennie, Adams and Aaronson were key players to that team. Several other key players more than hold their own in the prem and play big minutes on teams that did stay up.

If the bet had paid off and we had finished top 6 the 49's would have picked up a whole legion of fans in the states. I doubt you've been stateside during game days here in the US but there are millions of Scum, Lpool, chelski and Gunner kits being worn those days. That's 10's of millions of dollars that go to those clubs and NBC paid 100's of millions of dollars for the broadcast rights and the advertisers track which games are being watched. Having a squad with Yanks would have leapfrogged most of the teams marketing revenue in the prem if they had pulled it off. Not a bad gamble at the time. However, it failed badly. No one had tried it before so it's not like there was a history that the 49's should have known about.

The 49's will learn and grow from this. It's how they run their operation. Radz however, is disinterested, burnt out and out of money. It's a no brainer on who we have to hope prevails for the supporters sake.

Every Championship free agent as Leeds United plan summer rebuild on reduced budget
    League 1 here we come

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Every Championship free agent as Leeds United plan summer rebuild on reduced budget
    League 1 here we come
    Thing is we don't need a budget, keep the players we know will work well in the Championship.

Sell those who are definitely going/aren't cut out for Championship: Meslier, Harrison, Roca, Koch, Rodrigo, Aaronson.

Sign 2/3 decent players using that money and parachute payments.

If we keep the majority of the squad together which is what is needed we don't need a massive amount spent. If we are stupid and let everyone go then it will be pointless as we won't have a chance anyway, need some continuity in squad.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Thing is we don't need a budget, keep the players we know will work well in the Championship.

Sell those who are definitely going/aren't cut out for Championship: Meslier, Harrison, Roca, Koch, Rodrigo, Aaronson.

If we keep the majority of the squad together which is what is needed we don't need a massive amount spent. If we are stupid and let everyone go then it will be pointless as we won't have a chance anyway, need some continuity in squad.
    All well and good to speak about "keep the players we know will work well" (or we need, or, or, or), but we can only keep those who want to stay, or those who no-one else would want, neither of which fits with the "what we know will work/need" sentiment.

The list you mention of players to be sold isn't nearly complete, most of the talented youngsters will want away from a club that is the biggest and worst basket case in the Championship.

And what player worth their salt would sign for such a club, whose current owner is prepared to sacrifice the only serious buyout relationship by double-dealing a shared asset for the sake of buying another club?

If the ownership situation isn't resolved by the start of the transfer window, the majority of the players will be looking at where their next pay check is coming from, and it won't be LUFC.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post

That's the thing I don't want any from the premiership to stay apart from Gnonto and Wober who I think will go anyway.
    Hope the next manager bites the bullet and plays the under-23s and 21s.
    I've had enough watching trash at midnight my time lol

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    That's the thing I don't want any from the premiership to stay apart from Gnonto and Wober who I think will go anyway.
    Hope the next manager bites the bullet and plays the under-23s and 21s.
    I've had enough watching trash at midnight my time lol
    What about Adams, Ayling (should be alright in EFL), Foreshaw, Summerville and sinnisterra Oz? Not sure if they will stay but all would be excellent at that level.

The lad from Middlesbrough who banged in over 25 goals is out of contract so he would be a good first signing.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)