+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lifted Over The Turnstiles

Lifted Over The Turnstiles

Good evening.
    I’d like to ask for some advice please. I’m putting together a book – a photo-led nostalgia book, not entirely a history tome – about how grounds used to look in the black and white era before the Taylor Report swept away standing terraces. Burnden Park will, of course, be featured.
    The book (hopefully Vols 1, 2 and 3) will be a follow-up to my Lifted Over The Turnstiles 3-volume collection of books about Scottish football grounds: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=lifted+...f=nb_sb_noss_1
    Or Google “Lifted Over The Turnstiles Book”.
    I’m wondering if there are any club enthusiasts, historians, old press or private photographers, archives, or other sources you might point me towards. Ideally, I’d like pix of the ground’s terraces and stands empty, or on-pitch action with a good, illustrative view of terraces in the background. If possible.
    Old pix at high-resolution (screengrabs from websites don’t come up well in print). Preferably 50s, 60s, 70s — the way a supporter aged 60 to 80 will remember it.
    I am willing, of course to pay for copyright and will give credits in the book for the provenance of the photos.
    The aim is to celebrate the experiences of standing in a swaying, tight-packed, excited/angry/celebrating/commiserating/local-derby-fevered football crowd. It is a thing younger supporters will never have experienced. I still miss it.
    I want to do full and proper justice to Burnden Park.
    I can be contacted at stevefinan1963@gmail.com
    Many thanks.

Ohhhh my God, not THE magnificent Stevie Finnan of Notts County are you, the same Stevie Finnan that took us up into Tier Two back in the 90’s? 😍

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    Ohhhh my God, not THE magnificent Stevie Finnan of Notts County are you, the same Stevie Finnan that took us up into Tier Two back in the 90’s? 😍
    Sorry, no. One N in the middle of my name. The southern Irish Finan, not Scottish Finnan.
    I wish I had earned like Steve Finnan!

Burnden Park was Bolton, Steve…

Good surname though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    Sorry, no. One N in the middle of my name. The southern Irish Finan, not Scottish Finnan.
    I wish I had earned like Steve Finnan!
    I can see through the smokescreen Stevie,that was then and this now eh? 😉 Change one letter in your surname and hope that nobody thinks that it’s you? Well you’re a legend in the Chauncey household, a legend!

We’ve got a right back called Steve Finnan
    When he’s playing we keep winning
    He’s passed outside and back again
    We’ve got a right back called Stevie Finnan!

LEGGEENNDD!!

Your secret is safe with us Stevie

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)