+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T God Save the King

It's the pomp and ceremony that make it special and different, it's what people around the world love and brings in tourists.
    There is nothing else quite like the monarchy that captures the imagination and yet some would swop that for a tinpot president.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    I’ve got no issues with a monarchy but the timing of the event and how expensive and lavish it was just didn’t feel right.

I’d have loads of respect for the Royals if the event was minimal. Black cars instead of gold chariots, that sort of thing. They really need a popularity boost and that was their opportunity IMO.
    The thing is the whole thing was cut back, the previous coronation service lasted 1 hour 45 minutes longer than yesterday’s. The coaches weren’t built for this coronation, they were built decades/centuries ago and, they are greener than the big black Rollers or whatever vehicle they’d choose to pollute the air with. The Royals remain popular with most Brits and the UK is the envy of most countries, the UK is so lucky to have what they have.

Those who are anti Royal and would prefer a country with a tin pot leader, as described by Tomkya, then there are a number of countries they could move too reside in and have what they desire. The moaning minority can sail or fly away. Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio.

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post
    The thing is the whole thing was cut back, the previous coronation service lasted 1 hour 45 minutes longer than yesterday’s. The coaches weren’t built for this coronation, they were built decades/centuries ago and, they are greener than the big black Rollers or whatever vehicle they’d choose to pollute the air with. The Royals remain popular with most Brits and the UK is the envy of most countries, the UK is so lucky to have what they have.

Those who are anti Royal and would prefer a country with a tin pot leader, as described by Tomkya, then there are a number of countries they could move too reside in and have what they desire. The moaning minority can sail or fly away. Cheerio, Cheerio, Cheerio.

Don’t disagree with you at all but the spoilt ginger kid who sold his family turn the river for millions turns most stomachs! Then there’s the brother who should be kept away from little girls!

When many can’t afford to heat or eat - donations for relevant charities would have gained huge respect!

That said - everyone should respect the national anthem and the Queen was one in a million!

Quote Originally Posted by On Balance View Post

Irrespective of when they were built, what message does a gold chariot send during these times?

Reported £125m spent on the coronation. It’s not nothing.

The younger generation are different to older and value equality and parity over tradition which the royals don’t symbolise. I know efforts are being made to change the royal image, but I don’t think they’re doing nearly enough IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tomkya View Post
    I would hate a state President someone like that up himself Macron no thank you I am proud to have our Monarchy, God bless the King.
    What do you think Thatcher, Blair, and Johnson were? The monarchy have no say in what happens politically in this country. They are just puppets and not very pretty one's at that.
    They haven't had any power for two centuries, probably just as well since some of them were absolute tyrants. The last monarch to have any real power in Europe was Queen Victoria's grandkid, the Kaiser, and look what trouble he caused.
    I have no problem with people celebrating and having a good time, but £100m spent on a Coronation when some families are on the breadline is a bit much.
    I also question how a slapper like the Camel can be Queen when Wallace Simpson couldn't, it probably cost us our best monarch.
    Die for old Lugoles? You must be f ucking joking.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    What do you think Thatcher, Blair, and Johnson were? The monarchy have no say in what happens politically in this country. They are just puppets and not very pretty one's at that.
    They haven't had any power for two centuries, probably just as well since some of them were absolute tyrants. The last monarch to have any real power in Europe was Queen Victoria's grandkid, the Kaiser, and look what trouble he caused.
    I have no problem with people celebrating and having a good time, but £100m spent on a Coronation when some families are on the breadline is a bit much.
    I also question how a slapper like the Camel can be Queen when Wallace Simpson couldn't, it probably cost us our best monarch.
    Couldn't gave worded it any better.

I'm of the belief that no human being should have to bow to another.

When did I mention power? i said I didn't want a prat like Macron poncing about how is that better than the monarchy which is respected worldwide.
    You say best monarch wasn't he closely involved with the nazis?
    The comment on the King and Queen reflects more on you than on them.
    As for being hard up do you really think people are worse off today than when the Queen had her coronation in 53 it didn't stop people celebrating and enjoying the day.
    Some people just like to moan especially today small wonder they're called snowflakes.

Spot on Des! Harry will be returning to his millions from the book sales and Andrew will be Loitering outside schools 😂

Personally, I quite like the idea of having a constitutional monarchy as well as all the old historical traditions associated with it. Far prefer it to the republican system of presidents such as in France or USA etc. It's one of the things that makes our country unique. There aren't many other nations I can think of where aspects of such ceremonies can be traced back to medieval times.

I'm certainly all for cutting back on the monarchy in terms of the numbers of members of the Royal Family eligible for support from public funds and also reducing the numbers of palaces/estates et c but I see no point in getting rid of all of the the pomp like some Scandanavian monarchies have because that's an integral part of it all.

I get that the huge amount of money spent on it may seem totally tone deaf at best given the current economic climate but many ordinary people obviously enjoyed it and it was, after all , an historical event likely seen only once or twice in a lifetime. Besides, there are plenty of examples where ordinary people enjoy watching over paid footballers/movie stars/ "celebrities" on a regular basis.

As for the ceremony itself, I managed to watch from about 11-12:30 which was all the main bits of the crowning which was enough for me. Must say I also enjoyed The Windsors : Coronashon Special on Channell 4 😃

If you don’t want to be British and be proud then turn off the f in telly, don’t take the day off work Monday and don’t go to any functions and, if your really that pis$ed off with the Monarchy and being British, well sod off to Russia. I’m sure Putin will welcome you with……………. A prison sentence or poisoning, perhaps just death. It’s crap being a British citizen when you could be a Russian murdering scumbag.

There is rich and poor in every country in the world. Be grateful for where you live. Stop knocking what you should be proud of. Your Nationality.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)