+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you rate today's victory

How would you rate today's victory

A few years ago I posted that the Ben Stokes Cricket World Cup victory was the greatest sporting event I'd ever witnessed. I'm by no means a cricket fan but I was enthralled and captivated by the events as they unfurled on my TV screen.

But now, now as a Notts supporter (not fan), I'm beginning to think today's comeback is right up there with the very best sporting event I have seen involving a team I care about. The drama and timing of the second and third goals was painfully exquisite. At the final whistle the feeling of relief and elation were palpable in equal measure.

To put this into context, I have supported Notts for 61 years and my memory is perhaps not as good as I'd like.

How would you rank todays victory?
    Last edited by Jeekay56; 07-05-2023 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Removed double line spacing.

Good question but I can't answer it right now as I'm trying to rank the enjoyment levels of watching the superb social media clips from the club. I'm going with:

Bench Cam
    Jones in Poetry in Motion
    Commentary Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    A few years ago I posted that the Ben Stokes Cricket World Cup victory was the greatest sporting event I'd ever witnessed. I'm by no means a cricket fan but I was enthralled and captivated by the events as they unfurled on my TV screen.

But now, now as a Notts supporter (not fan), I'm beginning to think today's comeback is right up there with the very best sporting event I have seen involving a team I care about. The drama and timing of the second and third goals was painfully exquisite. At the final whistle the feeling of relief and elation were palpable in equal measure.

To put this into context, I have supported Notts for 61 years and my memory is perhaps not as good as I'd like.

How would you rank todays victory?
    I've only got 52 years to go on, but despite being at level 5 I'm sure this would make my top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I've only got 52 years to go on, but despite being at level 5 I'm sure this would make my top ten.
    I apologise, I wasn't trying to score points, merely pointing out that I'm old. But by my reckoning that's nine points to me.

The problem is, today was all of our own doing. Had Ruben turned up, we would have been 2-0 up in first 10 mins and just ground them down. The problem is, we didn't turn up, let in two sloppy goals and thankfully Jodi Jones was there to show us his class.

Sliding doors moments I know but we go 2-0 up in 10 mins and it's a routine win that would be long forgotten, we didn't and now the game will be etched into everyone psyche for eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    we go 2-0 up in 10 mins and it's a routine win that would be long forgotten, we didn't and now the game will be etched into everyone psyche for eternity
    mindboggling skill of LW's Notts to engineer this, but I'm glad they did

The problem is, today was all of our own doing. Had Ruben turned up, we would have been 2-0 up in first 10 mins and just ground them down. The problem is, we didn't turn up, let in two sloppy goals and thankfully Jodi Jones was there to show us his class.

Sliding doors moments I know but we go 2-0 up in 10 mins and it's a routine win that would be long forgotten, we didn't and now the game will be etched into everyone psyche for eternity
    Prob this ^^^ We were incredibly wasteful in front of goal and I have no idea why. Praps the occasion got to some of the players. But 11/10 for the comeback.

Had those three chances fallen to Macca and not Ruben, I'm convinced we would have taken at least a two goal lead, but that's all supposition. If we stick to the facts, we staged a monumental comeback against probably the best spoilers, but certainly the meanest defence in the league. Right up there for my grandson and I.

I've never experienced an atmosphere at Meadow Lane like when the second and third goals went in in my 45 years of going to Notts games. Yes, we were our own worst enemies yet again with our defensive frailties and inability to be more clinical, but that all helped add to the crazy drama at the end. I'll settle for a drab 1-0 win next Saturday, though.

Will you Sit Down on Saturday (sorry that's the only one I know)?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast