+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lee Bell

Lee Bell

All credit to him. Took over at a time when the clubs future was at risk. A series of poor results could have sent us spiralling towards non league. Despite his better players missing huge chunks of the season, he fashioned a side that became difficult to beat and started to play some decent football. Finishing in mid table would have been beyond our wildest dreams at Christmas.
    Retaining a few of the current squad and 3 or 4 decent additions to go with some of the kids who have made tremendous strides this season will give us a good base for next season.
    A very promising start for a guy steeped in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    All credit to him. Took over at a time when the clubs future was at risk. A series of poor results could have sent us spiralling towards non league. Despite his better players missing huge chunks of the season, he fashioned a side that became difficult to beat and started to play some decent football. Finishing in mid table would have been beyond our wildest dreams at Christmas.
    Retaining a few of the current squad and 3 or 4 decent additions to go with some of the kids who have made tremendous strides this season will give us a good base for next season.
    A very promising start for a guy steeped in the club.
    I agree with all of that. The only thing I would say is that in interview after todays game Bel did imply there would not be a massive influx of players. Whether that is because he expecting to keep some of those out of contract is anyone's guess. If Brook is out of contract at Brentford I would be very tempted to try and sign him and nit just because he scored today, but because he has started to look like a good player this last couple of months,

I also think Brook has done enough to earn a permanent switch. The only player I really do not wish to see back is Long...he has an objectionable selfish attitude that is unwelcome in a team heavily featuring young players.

I also think Brook has done enough to earn a permanent switch. The only player I really do not wish to see back is Long...he has an objectionable selfish attitude that is unwelcome in a team heavily featuring young players.
    He does seem to have a bit of attitude, but (and I say this having criticised him for "snubbing" the manager recently went substituted) I think we need someone here with his mentality. Clearly competitive and seems to be able to use his voice on the pitch. A bit of a moaner but I would offer him another year and if he has a good first half of next season he might make us a bob or two

Just a quick shout-out to Nigel Clough, who has been very supportive of Lee.
    Always good to have some help from someone outside of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    He does seem to have a bit of attitude, but (and I say this having criticised him for "snubbing" the manager recently went substituted) I think we need someone here with his mentality. Clearly competitive and seems to be able to use his voice on the pitch. A bit of a moaner but I would offer him another year and if he has a good first half of next season he might make us a bob or two
    But, want him or not, I believe he is on his way and no doubt will score against us next season.

As for Bell, things improved as more players came back from injury. Towards the end there was much more of a shape and a plan.
    Having a major turnover of players over the summer will make his job harder but we'll have a better idea of where he is at after a summer choosing his players and choosing how he wants to play. Unless he is extremely lucky, I cannot see us being anywhere near the play-offs. But then we weren't at that stage with Artell either...and then it clicked!

Not sure the play offs should be our aim. Only a few months ago, the overall concern was avoiding non league football. Another season of mid table satisfaction wouldn't be the end of the world whilst Lee gets his feet under the table. That's not being defeatist, just realistic.

Not sure the play offs should be our aim. Only a few months ago, the overall concern was avoiding non league football. Another season of mid table satisfaction wouldn't be the end of the world whilst Lee gets his feet under the table. That's not being defeatist, just realistic.
    Spot on. Steady improvement is the key. Our young players will be a year older and stronger and there are a few more coming through as well. I would be happy with anywhere between 8th and 12th next season. Stability

Not sure the play offs should be our aim.
    Agree with the above, our aim should be top three ...

Couldn't resist, top half finish is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Agree with the above, our aim should be top three ...

Couldn't resist, top half finish is fine with me.
    Top three aim. That will go down well with a few on here.