+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The retained list

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Look on the bright side: many clubs have pissed away far greater amounts on even worse white elephants for many a year. And then there are the serial experts at it, Chelsea.

It's nothing new, I remember some club back in the 70s spending a relatively huge fee on a busted flush called derek hales.
    330k IIRC - you'd struggle to get even a woman for that nowadays. Female player, that is.
    I did read somewhere of the hundreds of millions Chelsea had spent just on manager compensation!

I'm old enough to remember the first £1 million player, Trevor Francis, who actually lived just down the road from me when I was in my ****s.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I did read somewhere of the hundreds of millions Chelsea had spent just on manager compensation!

I'm old enough to remember the first £1 million player, Trevor Francis, who actually lived just down the road from me when I was in my ****s.
    Me too, I even took my father in law - a City fan - to see him make his debut for them by which time he’d cost £1.2m, but to put that in perspective, I remember Alun Evans moving to Liverpool for £100,000. Seemed huge at the time (1968) and I thought that was the breakthrough to six figure fees...but it wasn’t.

Anyone recall the name and clubs involved of the first £100,000 transfer without googling?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 16-05-2023 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Me too, I even took my father in law - a City fan - to see him make his debut for them by which time he’d cost £1.2m, but to put that in perspective, I remember Alun Evans moving to Liverpool for £100,000. Seemed huge at the time (1968) and I thought that was the breakthrough to six figure fees...but it wasn’t.

Anyone recall the name and clubs involved of the first £100,000 transfer without googling?
    Between English clubs Martin Chivers Southampton to Spurs not sure how much

Toddy’s signing is often quoted as a record but it wasn’t, I believe David Nish’s was

Biggest bargain transfer? Alan Hinton £30,000 (£600,000 now) Forest to Derby

Look on the bright side: many clubs have pissed away far greater amounts on even worse white elephants for many a year. And then there are the serial experts at it, Chelsea.

It's nothing new, I remember some club back in the 70s spending a relatively huge fee on a busted flush called derek hales.
    330k IIRC - you'd struggle to get even a woman for that nowadays. Female player, that is.
    Hales cost 440K. scored 4 in 28. Sold him to Wet Spam for 330K. 10 in 24. Sold to Charlton for 100K

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Depending on the source, Hector cost somewhere between £35K and £40K. Possibly an even better bargain...

Pity OTR isn't here, he would probably remember the Rams breaking the transfer record by paying 24,000 for Johnny Morris.

A lot of money in 1947 for a bloke that did impressions of animals and was the voice behind inventor, GP in Tales of the Riverbank.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Between English clubs Martin Chivers Southampton to Spurs not sure how much

Toddy’s signing is often quoted as a record but it wasn’t, I believe David Nish’s was

Google would suggest you’re right...for £125k in 1968, but when I asked I was convinced it was Alan Ball, for £112k from Blackpool to Everton, in 1966.

Pity OTR isn't here, he would probably remember the Rams breaking the transfer record by paying 24,000 for Johnny Morris.

A lot of money in 1947 for a bloke that did impressions of animals and was the voice behind inventor, GP in Tales of the Riverbank.
    Should never have let David Gower talk him into that Tiger Moth trip though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)