+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Legends One and All

Quote Originally Posted by erchieplum View Post
    I was studying for my degree in London with my finals just a few weeks off so I came up on train with my notes and text books and flew over to Gothenburg with them in bag so that I could revise ,then returning on the flight to Aberdeen I could get the first train South the next morning revising all the way down. This was part of the justification of why I could go so close to my finals

In reality I stayed up for two weeks getting p*ssed and only went back a few days after the Scottish Cup final ....having never opened a book !

my return consisted of congratulations and stories of the disbelief from course tutor who noticing my absence thought I was ill or having a breakdown about the exams only to be told " nah he's in Sweden at the football"

She caught up with me for a discussion but didn't really understand my justification for my absence so close to my finals despite my explaining about John Hewitt popping up yet again with the winner.

I passed my exams and was awarded my degree and a few days later she shouted me over to say that she had still been concerned about my absence and talked it over at home with her husband.

She then said he was a Gillingham FC supporter and put it into context for her :-)
    Similarly I was all but skint when we got to the final. Someone suggested bank loan so I made an appointment at the Clydesdale bank. I was working but had no real collateral. The meeting was getting a bit sticky with the guy at the bank think he was the manager he then asked me what I wanted the money for.. I told him to see the Dons in Gothenburg ..the money was in my account a few hour later. Dandies ya gotta love em.

Quote Originally Posted by DonUnder View Post
    Stewarty,

I was also on the St.Clair but only got a last minute seat as I was broke, my old man lent me the 50quid I was short the same day with a 'don't tell yer ma'. Off i went with a markies bag with some spare Y's and shirts must have been mingin by the time i got back. I remember the guys from the Broch on the first night it was rolling a bit and some folk were retiring hurt with sea sickness - those 4 had a case and a bottle each and were saying "blaw ye fckr blaw" with each roll of the boat. I thought they were real mannies hard as nails turns out they weren't much older than old t**nager me. Hard life bein a trawlerman i suppose. Took days to clear the singing from my head when i got back and worked every hour going to pay my old man back within a few weeks. Turned out ma knew all along.

Would be nice to be younger of course but the 80's ...oh what a time to be a Dandy.
    Yup it was a magical experience. Aye I remember the Trawler crew well never seen such alcohol debauchery I don't think they slept the whole trip ! As well are the multiple cases of Lager they were drinking double dark rums at 30p a pop. I myself got a right dose of sea-sickness but it didn't hit me till we got to Sweden watching the game felt like I was still on the ship !! The party on the Thursday night was one of pure exultation. Never ever forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    I had a Man Utd strip with ‘Coppell’ on the back but I had no real interest in football at all, until I caught the game on the box 40 years ago today.

An 8 year old glory hunting weegie pr1ck
    Standing free means even "An 8 year old glory hunting weegie pr1ck" is welcome to the Dons family. Particularly given local choices. You've had a little bit of glory (not enough) but once a Don always a Don. Significantly better than the alternatives. Keep the faith along side fellow Dandies. Come on ewe redz.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    Standing free means even "An 8 year old glory hunting weegie pr1ck" is welcome to the Dons family. Particularly given local choices. You've had a little bit of glory (not enough) but once a Don always a Don. Significantly better than the alternatives. Keep the faith along side fellow Dandies. Come on ewe redz.
    Thank you kindly. It’s been a bumpy ride but much better than growing up a Stevie Coppell fan boy

My story was one of financial struggle. Having bought a house, I remember having no spare money but crawling to the Mrs with tales of "it might be a once in a lifetime". It was and is likely stay that way. I found a plane, for Moray Firth fishers. Out in the morning of the game. Back that night to Glasgow Airport (Aberdeen being closed at night) Bus home in time for the return to Pittodrie. Ran out of money as a barsteward gave a Norwegian note in change. Nowhere would accept it. So no drink after game to celebrate. Touched the trophy as Jock Stein came out with it after the game. Well worth all the expense and hassle.

Oh, the BBC doc is good.......very good.

Loved Strachan's quote regarding Ferguson's training methods

" They wouldn't have passed the Geneva Convention "

I'm nae greetin honestly. Touch of class there...

Name:  Fv7GmUHWYAI-wSu.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  88.4 KB

Just watched the BBC programme.

Watching the scene of them training on the beach made me feel cold.

When God tells us he had to tell Leighton to bide on his line when he broke into the team, you get the feeling Jim didn't argue.

The part about Cooper was a tough watch. Clearly a lot of love for the guy from his teammates.

It was worth the licence fee alone.

Name:  IMG_2134.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  97.7 KB

Dug this out following all the nostalgic chatter...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast