+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: what's changed with flagging offside?

what's changed with flagging offside?

KVV first disallowed goal...

KVV is in an offside position at the time the ball was sent in his direction, but why did the linesman not flag it as offside there and then?
    Has that law of the game been changed to wait to see if a goal is scored before its declared offside?
    That was over 7 seconds. I only watch Motherwell and Scotland so I can't tell if the same delayed offside flags is a thing now.
    To me, no flag at the time == no offside call. Period. Can anyone explain why I'm wrong, because there doesn't appear to be any controversy over it.

Here's the thing, while the ball was indeed played forward it appears to have made contact with the St. Johnstone player also going for the ball. i.e. the instant the ball was kicked it's flight was minimally deflected at the point of the kick by the foot of the opposition player. The ball's last contact appears to have come off St.johnstones #29 *after* the ball was kicked.
    Shouldn't that have played KVV onside?

Regardless, is there a reason that linesman's flag didn't go up immediately?
    I could swear that's how games were still being played back not that long ago.

Has anyone tracked the number of goals that are disallowed? I'm guessing KVV is at the top of that statistic as it appears to be happening a lot more recently.

The "convention" these days is that the linesman waits until he sees what develops, eg is a goal scored or not. If so, offside is given. If not, the game just continues, supposedly to speed up play. The problem is that fans get very frustrated if there is a significant delay.

Another potential problem raised by more than one manager down south is what happens if a defender knows that the player is offside but feels obliged to put in a tackle anyway and does his ACL and is out for six months+ for something that could have been avoided.

'Another potential problem raised by more than one manager down south is what happens if a defender knows that the player is offside but feels obliged to put in a tackle anyway and does his ACL and is out for six months+ for something that could have been avoided."

That's my fear too. It seems like an unnecessary risk for players' safety.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)