+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting referees

Protecting referees

In Australia, a rugby union player has just received a 96 week ban (these are weeks of the season and so equate to 5 seasons) for knocking over a referee. The incident was initially thought to have been an accident but was later reviewed and this action taken.

Meanwhile in football, ManU’ s Fernandes pushes a linesman in the back and nothing happens and Klippety accuses a referee of being biased. While I’m sure he will receive some meager punishment, the authorities seem to be delaying their decision so as not to harm Livarpool’s push for a CL place.

The issue of protecting refs is easy to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    In Australia, a rugby union player has just received a 96 week ban (these are weeks of the season and so equate to 5 seasons) for knocking over a referee. The incident was initially thought to have been an accident but was later reviewed and this action taken.

Meanwhile in football, ManU’ s Fernandes pushes a linesman in the back and nothing happens and Klippety accuses a referee of being biased. While I’m sure he will receive some meager punishment, the authorities seem to be delaying their decision so as not to harm Livarpool’s push for a CL place.

The issue of protecting refs is easy to resolve.
    Rugby Union was my sport when younger, we addressed the referee as “sir” and only the captain could speak to him. If anybody started gobbing off the ref would give the opposition a penalty, 10 yds nearer to the posts, which meant you could be down 3 points, if it was kickable. Instant punishment! Rugby has a different code to football, the players especially. I read somewhere once that the difference between rugby players and footballers is that in rugby they spent 70% of the time trying to convince the opposition they aren’t hurt, whereas footballers spend 70% of the time trying to convince anybody that that they ARE injured, and we all see that in every game, pathetic, refs need to clamp down, they don’t get any respect from the players, especially Fernandez the ugly ****e!

It is a big, big problem in football and has only accelerated as the money has got bigger. The referees do need to take more action because in my opinion it has only been brought about by weak refereeing as the refs have plenty of power within the current rules to put a stop to this from both the prima donna players and the Oscar winning antics of that precocious clown Klipperty, rolling around on the turf as though he has been shot simply because a decision hasn't been given his way, as only he and the Liverpool supporters see it.

Good posts. I lost count of the times I walked away from a good tackle (rugby) in agony but pretending that I was fine.
    It’s correct, in football players feign injury to try to gain an advantage in the game, but in rugby injuries have no influence on the game at all. Put that with player power in football and you have a large part of what’s wrong with the game.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Good posts. I lost count of the times I walked away from a good tackle (rugby) in agony but pretending that I was fine.
    It’s correct, in football players feign injury to try to gain an advantage in the game, but in rugby injuries have no influence on the game at all. Put that with player power in football and you have a large part of what’s wrong with the game.
    I agree with this and if a ref had the power to send a player off for say 10 mins for "needed attention" if he thought the player was feigning injury it might quickly stop.

Agree with all of you.

But comes down to the fact the "top" want certain clubs in certain places and make sure the refs know that.

If a player dived and was then banned for the next 2 games for example - diving would stop dead in it's tracks.

2 game touch line ban and £75k fine for Klippety.
    😆😆😆😆😆

Why on earth has one of Klipperty’s bans been deferred until the end of the 23/24 season.Even when he commits a demeanour against the Establishment they treat him with kid gloves.Pathetic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacapus View Post
    Why on earth has one of Klipperty’s bans been deferred until the end of the 23/24 season.Even when he commits a demeanour against the Establishment they treat him with kid gloves.Pathetic!!!
    Yep, a very strange one, though I'm amazed they even did anything, thought he would get off scott free with his choice of referees in his final games

I’ll love it if we can beat Leicester and leave ManU and the dippers at each others throats for the last place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)