+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bookies favourites for L2 title next season...

Bookies favourites for L2 title next season...

Wrexham and us, apparently...
    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/fo...ounty-26931967

If anyone who understands bookies can find decent odds on us both being promoted together I'd be interested in placing a small wager.

I kind of guessed we would be amoung the front runners with the bookies for next season but 6/1 is very low indeed, totally understand Wrexham at 7/2 favourites as I think they will win the league.. would be interested in an automatic spot for Notts but can't see it being any great price 😕

Odds don't even include the teams currently in the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    I kind of guessed we would be amoung the front runners with the bookies for next season but 6/1 is very low indeed, totally understand Wrexham at 7/2 favourites as I think they will win the league.. would be interested in an automatic spot for Notts but can't see it being any great price 😕
    6/1 is quite frankly ridiculously low odds and not worth a pound of your money

Those odds are ridiculous!

Fair enough for Wrexham I suppose. They'll just chuck money at it and sign a bunch of Championship-quality players. The only question then is whether Parkinson can get them playing to their abilities.

I don't see us as title contenders though. I think we're a good shout for the playoffs, but second favourites seems crazy at this stage. We'll probably having a smaller budget than the likes of Mansfield, who already have a decent and proven L2 squad.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 18-05-2023 at 07:43 AM.

I just remember when we went down, we were favourites to go up. I put a bet on at something silly like 30/1 relegation after the Yeovil game and it paid for the season ticket. Can't go off bookies odds, not until the season starts

Past three seasons 95% or more who made predictions as to where we'd finish were no more than 5 or 6 places out, most no more than 2 or 3 out.

As far as next season goes, a prediction of 1st would raise no more of an eyebrow than 15th. Sutton have finished 8th and 14th since going up and so I think it would be very reasonable to expect to finish a few places better than their average of 11th. As we stand - not being entirely certain of who the manager will be and what sort of players will be signed, I'd predict 9th, but this early in the game it's a real shot in the dark having been spun around several times over.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 18-05-2023 at 08:25 AM.

I would be more than happy to flirt with the playoffs and have a solid season against better teams, some with bigger budgets. I can't see Notts only losing 3 games in L2 so that will take getting used to.
    Mansfield and the teams losing in the playoffs will be strong again, so us fans need to be realistic.
    Top 10 would be fine for me, then see what happens the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by AllNottsAreWe View Post
    I would be more than happy to flirt with the playoffs and have a solid season against better teams, some with bigger budgets. I can't see Notts only losing 3 games in L2 so that will take getting used to.
    Mansfield and the teams losing in the playoffs will be strong again, so us fans need to be realistic.
    Top 10 would be fine for me, then see what happens the following season.
    We're in a league that not that long ago we would have seen as being the pits, the basement. We could barely imagine that we'd end up lower, but we are Notts and we've always found the bottom tier.

Whilst us fans are euphoric at the moment realism has to set in. We should be a good League 2 team but having seen our owners operate, and bearing in mind the LW is still a bit of a novice I imagine that they will not be going for the spectacular, but continuing to build a sustainable and affordable foundation that if/when promoted will hold their own in the next tier up. I therefore second your Top 10 hope as being quite satisfactory. But momentum, and retaining the supporter base are key and the expectation must be visibile and viable progress.

However if we match the 59/60 season's performance, and Macca matches Newsham's goal tally then that will be great thank you.