"My man of the match was Coote, the referee," That was a quote from an Everton supporter on a supporters forum. He went on to say he gave Everton everything and was very thankful for the ten minutes extra time.

On a very warm afternoon we controlled the game for large parts although Everton had their chances. Julen Lopetegui make a number of changes to the side beaten at United last week, and we started well with Adama causing problems for their defenders. It was an Everton attack that Traore broke from, just outside his own area. A barnstorming run and shot which Pickford saved well before Hwang on the follow up, opened the scoring.

Gomes was a very busy player, winning tackles and linking well, he does look a good prospect. Neves was his usual self, covering acres of the pitch and spraying passes with uncanny accuracy. The referee was not endearing himself to the home supporters, which prompted chants of "You don't know what you are doing." There certainly were some strange decisions and some yellow cards were unwarranted.

Loads of substitutions interrupted the flow of play and it was still a surprise when the board went up showing nine minutes extra time. Four minutes extra were played in the first half. Even in injury time we had the chance to double the score, but Pickfords right foot came to the rescue on one occasion. The extra time seemed to go on for hours and it was no surprise that the visitors nicked a priceless goal in their fight for survival. The away support erupted and blue flares filled the lower tier with smoke. I was expecting VAR to get involved because I thought that Bentley had been fouled in the build up.

It has not been our best season with decisions by the referees but at least we are in the Premier League next season and a win against Arsenal next week would be a great end to a forgettable season.