+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming

Incoming

Sorry, don't get excited- just a thread for conjecture during the off season.
    In his recent interview, LB came right out with the need for a RB. Not rocket science, of course, but surely having made the decision to dump Kelvin, he has a firm possibility already lined up. He did say someone was coming in to "have a look around" this week, though that may not be a RB.
    After the 'coup' of securing Long for another year, very early on a signing within the next two weeks would maintain interest. That would take us right up to the end of the 'early-bird' season ticket period.

So far, there have been mixed messages from LB. A few weeks ago he hinted that there wouldn't be much incoming due, possibly, to finance. In his recent interview he was much more upbeat on prospective transfers and loanees. At the moment, even with Booth, Mcdonald, Finney and Uwakwe we'd only have a squad of 21 (22 if we really can't get rid of Sambou), so only 3 players more than we need for a matchday without injuries.
    So.. we need a regular, 1st choice RB. Assuming McDonald and Finney sign, the Back line would be complete.
    We obviously also need another goalkeeper in addition to securing Booth's future.
    In midfield we need one more CM to hold things together, much in the Finnegan mould.
    Up front, we clearly need cover for Long plus a fast winger/forward who may also provide goals.
    So from my point of view, the MINIMUM we need is 5 incoming just to cover the basics. That and a whole season without long-term injuries.
    What are the priority signings for the coming season, do you think?
    Last edited by gazan; 21-05-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Sorry, don't get excited- just a thread for conjecture during the off season.
    In his recent interview, LB came right out with the need for a RB. Not rocket science, of course, but surely having made the decision to dump Kelvin, he has a firm possibility already lined up. He did say someone was coming in to "have a look around" this week, though that may not be a RB.
    After the 'coup' of securing Long for another year, very early on a signing within the next two weeks would maintain interest. That would take us right up to the end of the 'early-bird' season ticket period.

So far, there have been mixed messages from LB. A few weeks ago he hinted that there wouldn't be much incoming due, possibly, to finance. In his recent interview he was much more upbeat on prospective transfers and loanees. At the moment, even with Booth, Mcdonald, Finney and Uwakwe we'd only have a squad of 21 (22 if we really can't get rid of Sambou), so only 3 players more than we need for a matchday without injuries.
    So.. we need a regular, 1st choice RB. Assuming McDonald and Finney sign, the Back line would be complete.
    We obviously also need another goalkeeper in addition to securing Booth's future.
    In midfield we need one more CM to hold things together, much in the Finnegan mould.
    Up front, we clearly need cover for Long plus a fast winger/forward who may also provide goals.
    So from my point of view, the MINIMUM we need is 5 incoming just to cover the basics. That and a whole season without long-term injuries.
    What are the priority signings for the coming season, do you think?
    You say injuries. Don’t forget suspensions as our disciplinary record is not what it was under DG.

Bit unfair to criticise LB for "dumping" Mellor. Kelvin is due an op and is unlikely to be fit to play full time football anytime soon. Non league is prob where he's heading. Hardly dumping!! Maybe also why he does not have someone immediately in mind either.
    Sambou's going end of...
    3 new signings, plus 2 on loan.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Bit unfair to criticise LB for "dumping" Mellor. Kelvin is due an op and is unlikely to be fit to play full time football anytime soon. Non league is prob where he's heading. Hardly dumping!! Maybe also why he does not have someone immediately in mind either.
    Sambou's going end of...
    Sambou will leave I think but it will be at a cost. Mellor has been an excellent servant both times but if he is due an operation the likelihood is he won't be as good after it and I suspect we can probably pick someone up who is younger either on loan or a permanent signing. Personally, I think there will be 2 or 3 new signings and a couple of good loans including a keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Sambou will leave I think but it will be at a cost. Mellor has been an excellent servant both times but if he is due an operation the likelihood is he won't be as good after it and I suspect we can probably pick someone up who is younger either on loan or a permanent signing. Personally, I think there will be 2 or 3 new signings and a couple of good loans including a keeper
    And the sooner we hear news of Dan Agyei and Concrete Rod the better. McDonald may be on holiday of course.

Who criticised LB??? Not me!

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Sambou's going end of...
    Maybe the problem is my use of "dump". Does it read any better to say.."release"??🙂

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    And the sooner we hear news of Dan Agyei and Concrete Rod the better. McDonald may be on holiday of course.
    Highly unlikely we will see Agyei in a Crewe shirt again I would suggest. Concrete Rod is a 50/50. I suspect he may want more in the deal than we are offering and it wouldn't surprise me if that is why we triggered the extension on Offord's contract. Hope I am wrong of course!

Most of this team that resulted in two extremely poor seasons should have been got rid and the fact they haven't means another poor season when you see 5 of the top 9 teams in this league were far FAR poorer than we ever were...Maybe the Board should resign and get some better players in that way...I've only seen the highlights and Offord and Macdonald would not be anywhere near the first team. I doubt any league club would sign any of ours...But hey we have a Cat2 academy and so we can celebrate that, while others of our size get promoted without one...I've said before, Dario was a great manager for a few and I mean very few years but his academy idea was pathetic as most clubs are that have them and they will all go down the drain at some time as clubs realise that 5 year olds are not the right age for professional league football...or most 17 year olds too..

You go out and see players who are any good and if you can't afford them, resign yourself to non league..OR do what Leyton Orient and Stevenage, and Barrow and Stockport and Salford and and and!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 22-05-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Most of this team that resulted in two extremely poor seasons should have been got rid and the fact they haven't means another poor season when you see 5 of the top 9 teams in this league were far FAR poorer than we ever were...Maybe the Board should resign and get some better players in that way...I've only seen the highlights and Offord and Macdonald would not be anywhere near the first team. I doubt any league club would sign any of ours...But hey we have a Cat2 academy and so we can celebrate that, while others of our size get promoted without one...I've said before, Dario was a great manager for a few and I mean very few years but his academy idea was pathetic as most clubs are that have them and they will all go down the drain at some time as clubs realise that 5 year olds are not the right age for professional league football...or most 17 year olds too..

You go out and see players who are any good and if you can't afford them, resign yourself to non league..OR do what Leyton Orient and Stevenage, and Barrow and Stockport and Salford and and and!
    Saw that Mike had posted, wondered what it would be, and wasn’t disappointed.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast