+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Incoming

Shouldn't be losing out to Harrogate what kind of contracts are being offered if he's prepared to travel that far.

Getting a 2 year contract might have something to do with his move.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Harkin View Post
    Shouldn't be losing out to Harrogate what kind of contracts are being offered if he's prepared to travel that far.
    Epitomy of a journeyman footballer prepared to travel anywhere. Harrogate will be his 11th club, the last 4 or 5 of which were 1 year contracts. He must be amazed that someone is prepared to offer 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Epitomy of a journeyman footballer prepared to travel anywhere. Harrogate will be his 11th club, the last 4 or 5 of which were 1 year contracts. He must be amazed that someone is prepared to offer 2 years now.

Yes you can say he is a journeyman footballer but he was our player of the season and an integral part of the team that made us defensively hard to beat he is a player we should be retaining and not losing out to a club I would suggest we’re in a similar if not slightly lesser financial bracket. The mass exodus begins because of our inability to retain good footballers and begins to break down a team that have had a season playing together and that boded well for a more competitive season but instead we rip the heart out of the team and have to begin to recruit players and re build again that is not how you progress. Charles Grants recent optimism is much deeper than his pockets and I predict another mediocre season on the horizon the club needs more money the board can’t keep writing off £1M pounds and everybody thinking everything in the garden is rosey. I can see we have some of our younger players have a lot of potential and have the possibility of being sold on in the next couple of years to generate some much needed funds but that wont happen if they are playing in a struggling league 2 side for me the academy is only as good as the first team if that is not successful neither will be out academy system.

Thinking about it all last night. Initial response was disappointment but Rod is 31 and potentially playing in the place of one of our graduates who are the financial future of the club. Happy with Connor and Luke at centre half. Williams, Billington and Kempster Down waiting in the wings so we're possibly 1 experienced centre half away from being sorted and that could well be covered by a loanee - another Nicky Hunt type.
    As for Agyei, he signed on Lg1 wages, so was never going to stay in Lg2 beyond his 2 years anyway. Then he went and scored 16 goals, so was instantly looking at a Lg1 club or even higher. Anyone who dreamed he would re-sign for a Lg2 club was living in cloud cuckoo land.

I am disappointed at the loss of Rod. "Journeyman" or not, he was a leader on the pitch in a way we don't often see at Crewe. However, I will wait and see what happens as, who knows, there may be others in the pipeline to more than make up for his exit. I certainly hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I am disappointed at the loss of Rod. "Journeyman" or not, he was a leader on the pitch in a way we don't often see at Crewe. However, I will wait and see what happens as, who knows, there may be others in the pipeline to more than make up for his exit. I certainly hope so.
    You all know how good or bad he is. I only saw him in match highlights and thought he was poor actually. You cannot give someone at that age more than one year contract and is actually very lucky to find a club when he is really a very low league player. Oddly I agree 100% with WBW as there are loads of players available in that position and BTW, he wasn't even a academy player here...

It's an odd thing about footballers and most people I suppose, is that they are just mercenaries and have no real loyalty to a club or employer really. That is why us having long standing academy graduates that have had millions spent on them leave without signing extensions is also poor but then they are mercenaries too..

I think it was a good decision by our club actually...B&Q is almost the only alternative when lower league players reach that age but its still a job if they want one..I would like Offord to have left but based on his poor play as well.

Just shows how misleading 'highlights' can be. For me McDonald offered a balance in that he was a more traditional Centre-half in a back line full of academy graduates. As for Offord...post 2nd suspension he completely lost his edge and was poor. However, prior to that he had been my potential nomination for player of the season.
    I agree about 'mercenaries' though, at least in the odd case: Billy Jones; Dale; Ryan Wintle and Colclough, for example. However, for most players they have to think about their livelihoods in a career that is very shortlived. Once again, there will a large number of people released by clubs who may never play in the EFL again.

Ve.ry disappointed at MacDonald leaving. Combined well with O`Reardon. I am keeping mu fingers crossed that we sign an experienced CB to replace him. Hope that it is not the intention of relying on Offord, he is certainly not league2 standard

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Just shows how misleading 'highlights' can be. For me McDonald offered a balance in that he was a more traditional Centre-half in a back line full of academy graduates. As for Offord...post 2nd suspension he completely lost his edge and was poor. However, prior to that he had been my potential nomination for player of the season.
    I agree about 'mercenaries' though, at least in the odd case: Billy Jones; Dale; Ryan Wintle and Colclough, for example. However, for most players they have to think about their livelihoods in a career that is very shortlived. Once again, there will a large number of people released by clubs who may never play in the EFL again.
    I disagree about Wintle. We had several good years from him and he was a massive contributor to our promotion season and the one after. We picked him up for next to nowt from (I think) Alsager and he always gave of his best. Jones and Dale definitely. Colclough was slightly different in that he was a troubled lad and it was probably sensible to let him move on. I think we got a fee for him.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast