+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Formation

Formation

I assume that LB has a preferred pattern of play and that any incoming players are part of that plan. What I hope isn't happening is that we are short of numbers and he's getting players in to make the numbers up.
    Why do I bring this up? Well, despite scoring 10 goals in the first 4 games, I worry about scoring at the moment. Why? Well, those first few games were notable in that defenders were responsible for the goals, most of which came from dead ball situations. Further, Long, our main expectation for goals this season, has scored one and that was a penalty. The thing is, he has hit the bar once but apart from that has barely had a goalscoring chance. Think about last season when Nev was goalless- we knew he would score eventually as he found himself in lots of goalscoring positions but through a combination of bad luck, excellent goalkeeping and some poor finishing, he found himself goalless. Okay, this season he's scored 2 but can you recall how many chances that he's missed. I can think of one.
    In other words, our two main strikers have had very few chances. And the last two games were blank up front. Okay, two goalless games are nothing like an emergency but for 45 minutes in each of those two games, the Alex dominated possession. That is worrying. Not only did they not score in those combined 90 minutes but they hardly created any clear cut chances. When you are dominating possession, you should at least create chances.
    So, where am I going with this?
    We've just signed Rowe, a winger and it is strongly predicted that Joe White, an "attacking midfielder" will arrive from Newcastle. Will these two signings add to the goal threat? How will the formation be if these are intended as 1st team regulars? Will a winger increase the pressure on the opposition?
    Tracey has shown that he can use his pace to get behind but then there is no final product. Add to that recently he has been moved infield behind the striker(s). Will Rowe last as a winger? Is White an attacking midfielder in the way of Holicek or is he one who can find that defence splitting pass through to the front 2?
    One final point Nev is not a lone striker/front man- he needs to be in a two so how will that affect the formation and how will that allow other players to fit in.
    It could be said there is implicit criticism in this post and there is some. However, the main thrust is one of puzzlement as to how the team can be set up to create more chances.

......and if the Arsenal striker comes, who'd move to make way?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    ......and if the Arsenal striker comes, who'd move to make way?
    Nevitt, if he continues not scoring, as hard as he works. CBR is fit for tomorrow, so the new lad might put a bit of pressure on him.
    No problem with having options up front.

Looks like it might be academic anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Looks like it might be academic anyway!
    Apparently he wanted lg1 only and is on mega money. Sounds just like a modern young footballer!!

Was willing to come but he/Arsenal wanted too many clauses attached including guaranteed appearances regardless is what I have been told.