+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking!! (Well maybe not).

Shocking!! (Well maybe not).

Leeds have only won a grand total of 11 games since Bielsa was sacked.

Does show you how truly gifted MB was as a coach.

I did say at the time it was insanity

Not that it changes much but thought it was 12

Hey lads, whatever happened to Steve Balcombe ?.
    But yeah, I admit, I've been watching the brilliant club videos again.
    How much did Peter Barnes cost you!!, and where do you really think it went wrong with Clarkie as manager ?. 😧

The 80s were largely miserable for us Acido.

We had a lot of young talent which mainly flourished elsewhere

John Lukic
    David Seaman
    Dennis Irwin
    John Scales
    Andy Linnighan
    Scott Sellars

To name but a few.

The ground was falling down, the football on the pitch was of the same standard and it was generally pretty depressing.

We had lots of old players whose best years were long gone playing for us at times

Lorimer think he was still playing into his 40s
    Gray
    Graham

Also read somewhere that we dropped 26 pts from winning positions.

That's some feck up that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Also read somewhere that we dropped 26 pts from winning positions.

That's some feck up that.
    We Orta have done better 🤔😎

(Following on from what LeedsFTW & spaldy posted above as well as many others who posted on the Relegation - What Next thread and my previous post way back when Jesse Marsch was appointed when I said that we would discover if he was a coach to develop players or just someone who assembled a team...)

On consideration for his entire tenure, Orta was not all bad - please hear me out before throwing things at me!

What he was good at was sourcing affordable players who had the potential to be developed by Bielsa to play a better level of football and who would fit in with Bielsa's uncompromising demands. This supply of players was a major factor in our promotion to the PL.

However, when Marsch was appointed, Orta's modus operandi did not change and he still continued to find players for the future - but this was not suitable for the Marsch management style. Some of the young players sourced will undoubtedly develop into excellent players if they get the required quality of coaching and inspiration.

Whilst I still think that Marsch (with his insistence to believe in "The Process") was never going to turn Leeds into a European competition quality side, for Leeds to even consolidate as a PL outfit under his supervision required PL quality finished article players to be bought to operate in the areas of the team where we were obviously below standard. This was the opportunity squandered by Orta, as the factor that made his choices good had been removed. Most of those players who did arrive would have improved given the MB coaching treatment.

Our worst result of the season? - the 2-1 away win at Liverpool. A false dawn which tempted the board to over-persist with Marsch. Changing to an experienced manager then would have given them the World Cup break to coach, tighten the unit and a transfer window in which to augment the squad for survival.

Players who left us last year went to places where they thought their game would continue to be developed - as it had done under Bielsa. They did not want to stagnate under the Marsch process.

But it will do no good looking back apart from to learn the hard lessons.
    Now, we need an established strong manager who thoroughly knows the game and can develop the "future investments" alongside an experienced solid core so that in 2/3 seasons Leeds are a stable PL team which can then be passed on to a transformational manager.
    For this to happen, it needs the intelligent people who currently own and will own the club to get their heads together to set out a strategic plan and not wait for ownership details to be resolved.

I agree Orta wasn’t all bad. In the early years he did okay and recruited some decent players and Bielsa.

Last 2 years were pretty much a shocker though as he seemed to suddenly believe he was a football messiah. He was apparently always arguing behind the scenes with
    Bielsa in the 21/22 season had already got Marsch lined up and was the prime whisperer in Radz’s ear to sack him.

The comments he started to make to fans coupled with thinking Marsch was the answer and sticking by it meant to me he hardly completely lost all sense of footballing reality and the 35m on Rutter 🙈

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)