+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really hate Forest?

Do we really hate Forest?

Well some of us do with a passion but some others see that such misplaced emotion is a sign of an inferiority complex.
    A true story.
    As a 9 year old on holiday in the 1950's I was on holiday with my Forest-supporting cousin at Ingoldmells and we were kicking a ball to each other on the beach when two guys appeared from the sand hills and asked if they could join in. I started to place one of the guys.
    'Are you Ron Wylie?' I asked him. He nodded and I told him I was a Notts supporter. (We were supporters not fans in those days).
    The other chap said 'And do you know who I am?' Cousin Paul answered 'You're Jack Burkitt' (The then captain of Forest).
    They stayed with us for about an hour and we were both shocked that their families were on holiday together. Surely, I reasoned, Ron Wylie would be on holiday with Gordon Wills, his left-wing partner. But no. Here came the realisation that players from rival teams could be mates. It was a lesson learned and since then I've always wished Forest well.
    Can't Notts supporters see that the better Forest do, the more we stand to gain - in loan players, the boosting of the city, increasing the numbers who support both teams.
    Or is it just an act? Do we have to pretend 'I really hate Forest' simply to sound hard. Let's not forget that Forest did their share of supporting us when our future looked 50 shades of grim. Having said all that, of course if we met them in the cup or one distant day in the league, there's only one team I'd be shouting for and it wouldn't have anything to do with woods or trees.

Do we really hate Forest?

Well some of us do with a passion but some others see that such misplaced emotion is a sign of an inferiority complex.
    A true story.
    As a 9 year old on holiday in the 1950's I was on holiday with my Forest-supporting cousin at Ingoldmells and we were kicking a ball to each other on the beach when two guys appeared from the sand hills and asked if they could join in. I started to place one of the guys.
    'Are you Ron Wylie?' I asked him. He nodded and I told him I was a Notts supporter. (We were supporters not fans in those days).
    The other chap said 'And do you know who I am?' Cousin Paul answered 'You're Jack Burkitt' (The then captain of Forest).
    They stayed with us for about an hour and we were both shocked that their families were on holiday together. Surely, I reasoned, Ron Wylie would be on holiday with Gordon Wills, his left-wing partner. But no. Here came the realisation that players from rival teams could be mates. It was a lesson learned and since then I've always wished Forest well.
    Can't Notts supporters see that the better Forest do, the more we stand to gain - in loan players, the boosting of the city, increasing the numbers who support both teams.
    Or is it just an act? Do we have to pretend 'I really hate Forest' simply to sound hard. Let's not forget that Forest did their share of supporting us when our future looked 50 shades of grim. Having said all that, of course if we met them in the cup or one distant day in the league, there's only one team I'd be shouting for and it wouldn't have anything to do with woods or trees.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    A true story.
    Been a notts fan and going to the games since I was about 9 or 10 if my time line serves me correctly. However for a period ( in the eighties) I used to go to both but stopped when florist fans reacted badly to the Charlie Palmer defeat.i was in the main stand that day and they were fighting with anything that moved that day, man woman or child...
    That day I stopped and must admit I took a dislike to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    A true story.
    I don’t hate Forest. No point hating a team that we are soooo far behind and have been for the vast majority of our history - especially the 35 years I’ve supported Notts.
    As for friends competing. Some of the most ferocious games I have been involved in has been against mates. We would kick lumps out of each other then have a pint - as football should be.
    No one genuinely hates Forest. If they did they would despise everything about them, and that would include supporters. We all have mates who are Forest fans. Some of those mates would have been to watch Notts over the years.
    I get that some have had historical issues with bullying etc. But that’s a minority.
    It’s no coincidence that our gates are up now Forest are in the big time. I personally think that trend will continue.
    IMO we are at the start of a purple patch for Notts where we close the gap. Increase attendances. Then hopefully, we can have a proper rivalry.
    Until then, what’s the point of hating them?

I used to hate Florist, not so now as I am a proud Magpie once again, (thank you Chris and Alex, Jason). I wanted them over the river to stay up this year, for purely selfish reasons, based on the harder it is for casual supporters to access their games, the more likely they are to come and see us, especially while we are playing such a pleasing on the eye style of football.
    I would still love them to lose all their games, as I want to see Notts as the number one side in Nottinghamshire, see what I did there.
    I am not sure what benefits the city gains from having successful footie teams, as the council can soon squander any financial returns.

To me the honourable/friendly/supportive rivalry we had with Wrexham this season was WAY more my thing.

I can't imagine bearing anyone ill will over a football club. Not that I don't think football clubs are deadly serious. They absolutely are. And so are the rivalries. But rivalries make for great football, not the other way around.

And I don't see why it should ever get personal between people over it. There are way more similarities than differences between even the supporters of the fiercest rival clubs.

No

It's a no from me too!

I don't hate Forest and having a good relationship has financially benefitted Notts. Both on and off the pitch.
    However, I know I at my happiest at 5pm on a Saturday if Notts have won and Forest have lost!!
    Sad but true😁😁

Yes I truly do

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast