+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Manager for next season...

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not sure why the hype around this guy. Yes, he has managed Celtic, and won the Scottish Championship, but......

Since 2000, Celtic have won the championship in the following seasons;

2000–01, 2001–02, 2003–04, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2021–22, 2022–23

So just how impressive is it to have won one such?

Scottish football, as long as you are in the top 2- 3 of the Scottish Premiership, is one of the least competitive in Europe. Even Rangers who were liquidated as recently as 2012, were back in the Scottish Premiership in just four years! wouldn't want any manager from a Scottish club unless they had graduated to the big boys football (English Premiership/Championship) for some time after leaving the "little league".
    Yes winning with Celtic probably means little to be honest. But..he does have a winning knack about him. Won A League titles in Oz...and when he coached the Australian side, it was no doubt in my mind the best brand of football I have seen before and since! Then won a title when he went Korea or somewhere at first attempt...and then on to Celtic. So his stats are good if nothing else. Will certainly be a test now with Spurs though, as they have been non winners for way too long!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Yes winning with Celtic probably means little to be honest. But..he does have a winning knack about him. Won A League titles in Oz...and when he coached the Australian side, it was no doubt in my mind the best brand of football I have seen before and since! Then won a title when he went Korea or somewhere at first attempt...and then on to Celtic. So his stats are good if nothing else. Will certainly be a test now with Spurs though, as they have been non winners for way too long!
    He has won things on every team he has managed starting with South Melbourne here and has won only one title with the National team in history.
    His playing style is very similar to Bielsas's but also focused on defense. He is generally a total manager with many plans not just one.
    Spurs will fly up the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    Remember stating to you earlier that if he held off he would end up getting a Premier club further up the food chain. Why would you risk that possibility by coming to us the way we were travelling! Never going to happen.
    Yeah but why not post the question to him who knows? But the rabble we are why ask!

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not sure why the hype around this guy. Yes, he has managed Celtic, and won the Scottish Championship, but......

Since 2000, Celtic have won the championship in the following seasons;

2000–01, 2001–02, 2003–04, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16, 2016–17, 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20, 2021–22, 2022–23

So just how impressive is it to have won one such?

Scottish football, as long as you are in the top 2- 3 of the Scottish Premiership, is one of the least competitive in Europe. Even Rangers who were liquidated as recently as 2012, were back in the Scottish Premiership in just four years! wouldn't want any manager from a Scottish club unless they had graduated to the big boys football (English Premiership/Championship) for some time after leaving the "little league".
    Well, this is why you need to research before making comments.
    The man has won everything with every club he has been signed to manage with not one failure.
    Your estimation of Celtic is very similar to Man City does that mean Pap is shyte?

Quote Originally Posted by ozleeds View Post
    Well, this is why you need to research before making comments.
    The man has won everything with every club he has been signed to manage with not one failure.
    Your estimation of Celtic is very similar to Man City does that mean Pap is shyte?
    I did research, hence the list of Celtic victories in the Scottish Premiership.

It's easy to win when you're competing in places where competition is a bit thin on the ground. Ozwhites hit that nail on the head, and despite the observations on coaching the Australian side, there isn't much to say on the success of the Aussie national side, is there?

Not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that my estimation would indicate that "Celtic is very similar to Man City"? One has played in a league that has had (at best) three and most often two sides that were genuinely competing with each other, and their record of championship success shows that, with little or no success outside their own national borders, the other has won many competitions, both domestic and European, in a league that is seen as the global pinnacle of football and the aspiration of all players and clubs worldwide. Guardiola has constructed a squad/team that can (and does) play on the world stage, and wins.

Celtic wouldn't come close, and as Ozwhites says, the step up for Postecoglou, we will see if he has the right stuff to do it where the big boys play

He is going to a club that has become a poison chalice for a good few years now , more successful managers who were proven winners (Conte/Mourinho) in the best league in the World in previous seasons , have failed miserably at Spurs.

Going to be a tough gig for him that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    He is going to a club that has become a poison chalice for a good few years now , more successful managers who were proven winners (Conte/Mourinho) in the best league in the World in previous seasons , have failed miserably at Spurs.

Going to be a tough gig for him that's for sure.
    Hi guys I am a Baggies fan but live up in Yorkshire.

How likely do you think the Corberan links are?

I would hate to see him go as he transformed our average team after he took over from Bruce.

Having said that, he has ties with Leeds so could see it happening.

Is there anyone you would prefer instead? I really do hope so!

Good luck next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil81 View Post
    Hi guys I am a Baggies fan but live up in Yorkshire.

How likely do you think the Corberan links are?

I would hate to see him go as he transformed our average team after he took over from Bruce.

Having said that, he has ties with Leeds so could see it happening.

Is there anyone you would prefer instead? I really do hope so!

Good luck next season.
    Well, I suspect neither Rogers nor Potter would take the risk, and with the recent upsets at WBA I'd be quite happy to see Corberan come back to ER (better than some of the "who they" candidates that have been mentioned in the press rumour machine).

Apparently we are in talks with Gerrard.

Lovely

Gerrard, hmm, just getting gigs from his days of playing. In charge of a club in a mickey mouse league of 2 teams, who share every Scottish league and cup medal, then goes to villa and achieves nothing, where the players stopped playing for him, great player, but not a manager for Leeds I hope.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)