+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Tina Turner RIP

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Why? I'm just expressing an opinion. I disagree that she was some kind of superstar that many people make her out to be. It's a matter of taste.
    Sure, it’s a matter of taste as to whether you like her or not. I’m not a huge fan tbh, although I’d happily describe her as an icon, but she did leave her mark and there are obviously people on here to whom she, harmlessly, means a lot.

So iconic not ironic.

RIP Tina, certainly ubiquitous for a decade if not herself especially innovative. Nice to see the mainstream media’s veil of PCness was dropped for long enough for folk to comment on her looks being as good as her music, especially her legs.

But ‘Queen of rock’n’roll’? Just a lazy and convenient media epithet, if anything she led Ike, who recorded what many consider the first rock’n’roll record, AWAY from rock’n’roll/vintage R&B into soul and pop.

AF, did she "lead" Ike into R&B or was that the way Ike wanted to go?

Gunt. She sold over 200 million records. She sold more concert tickets than any other female artist EVER. Following her divorce from Ike she had 7 barren years where no label in the US would touch her. She then found a way back into the limelight and had an extremely successful 2nd career. Most certainly, an extraordinary woman.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    AF, did she "lead" Ike into R&B or was that the way Ike wanted to go?

Gunt. She sold over 200 million records. She sold more concert tickets than any other female artist EVER. Following her divorce from Ike she had 7 barren years where no label in the US would touch her. She then found a way back into the limelight and had an extremely successful 2nd career. Most certainly, an extraordinary woman.
    MA yes you may be right. I always stand up for my rock’n’rollin friends who are hyper touchy about appropriation of the phrase ‘rock’n’roll into anything since 51 with a driving beat. To them, Wanda Jackson is the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    MA yes you may be right. I always stand up for my rock’n’rollin friends who are hyper touchy about appropriation of the phrase ‘rock’n’roll into anything since 51 with a driving beat. To them, Wanda Jackson is the Queen
    Curious how Wanda morphed into a country singer after her more rock n roll roots

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Curious how Wanda morphed into a country singer after her more rock n roll roots
    More money in country, was then, is now. Most of the rocknrollers I mooch round with have a country set in their back pockets

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)