+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L2 play-off final

L2 play-off final

Who'd you prefer to win (if you really don't care, then this thread isn't for you &#128578?
    For me it has to be Carlisle. This is for a number of reasons: when County were struggling in National League North and being shafted by the aptly named Sale Sharks, they had my sympathy a little support. However, now they've been bought out, they've sold out and become self-styled big-time Charlies (we'll have the same Wrexham next season as well! At least Bradford have been in the Premier in recent memory!).
    Also, the fixture list played a trick on me last season. County is the nearest EFL ground to where I live, I don't drive and last season the away game was on Boxing day while I was in Crewe that day visiting my mother. (Please fixture list, be kind this year while I'm away for latter September!!).
    Although Carlisle do bring a fair few, Stockport would, postponements permitting, be a bigger draw.
    As the play-offs were being set up, I wanted Bradford, Salford and Stockport to lose out, purely for geographical convenience (i.e. ease of away travel) next season.
    For me, Morecambe, Accrington, Wrexham (sort of!) and Notts County fit nicely into that category. Just hurry back Rochdale and Oldham!
    Anyone else favour either team for any reason.?

I've lost count how many times I have been to Stockport when we played them. I have been to Carlisle and it is a long way and so for me it has to be SC to lose at Wembley. But for me our BoD need to see why teams like them and others who have been promoted are more successful than us..SC get around 10K fans in when we are struggling to get 4K fans in and yet they have big PL teams around them.

Its annoying to keep reading how low wages our players are paid and cuts are being made continously when money is found to pay loads of managers/coaches/non players. How about the Chairman visiting all these clubs to see how they run things better than us? If we pay lower National League wages, then its best if we join them at the lower end of that league too..

I would prefer our BoD to say we want to do as Stockport have done for the last couple of years and Wrexham, and Stevenage and Leyton Orient and those still in L1 our size....Or will we ever have the millstone around our necks to try and compete at lower 4th division level with absolutely no ambition whatever!

I'm sorry but the Cat2 academy is that millstone! Cat4 is my choice. It certainly won't make our team any worse than it is and could make us...well, like SC!
    Last edited by MikeSB; 25-05-2023 at 05:24 PM.

Did I hear Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Hartlepool mentioned. What about Chester and York? We can both pick and choose our examples. However, we have what we have. Stockport and Wrexham have rich benefactors, we have a democratically evenly balanced BoD. We had a majority shareholder in charge before Covid and he nearly bled us dry.
    The misfortune for the current board is that no sooner had they set up than Covid happened. All the promise of a new broom was swept away.
    As a country/world we have all recently lived though 'interesting times' and I think people are anxious when perhaps we need to have patience and give things time, as we once used to.
    That's my stab at using a bit of rational argument despite it not being much relevant to the thread.
    So, like me, MSB you want Stockport to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Did I hear Bury, Oldham, Rochdale and Hartlepool mentioned. What about Chester and York? We can both pick and choose our examples. However, we have what we have. Stockport and Wrexham have rich benefactors, we have a democratically evenly balanced BoD. We had a majority shareholder in charge before Covid and he nearly bled us dry.
    The misfortune for the current board is that no sooner had they set up than Covid happened. All the promise of a new broom was swept away.
    As a country/world we have all recently lived though 'interesting times' and I think people are anxious when perhaps we need to have patience and give things time, as we once used to.
    That's my stab at using a bit of rational argument despite it not being much relevant to the thread.
    So, like me, MSB you want Stockport to lose?
    Agree with everything you say there Gazan.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Agree with everything you say there Gazan.
    There can be no thread without mentioning the albatross around our neck and its been over ten years since we sold a player to cover one year's cost of the academy. In my rational brain.. That means when its not working, you try and change things.

The world has had to live and die with Covid and everyone has to move on...We can with football and be a far better team that getting beat by teams we thrashed before Dario arrived...Brentford and Bournemouth were far more ambitious and all we wanted to do was to sell every good player we had...And teams go up and they go down..I would rather play Chester than someone 300 miles away...

I've never really understood the Champions League myself...

To actually answer the question, from an entirely selfish point of view, I want Carlisle to go up. Stockport will sell out the Pop side and the railway end, providing a serious sum in gate receipts. Add Wrexham and Notts County to the equation and possibly £60/£70000 flows into our coffers. Almost an extra player!!!

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    To actually answer the question, from an entirely selfish point of view, I want Carlisle to go up. Stockport will sell out the Pop side and the railway end, providing a serious sum in gate receipts. Add Wrexham and Notts County to the equation and possibly £60/£70000 flows into our coffers. Almost an extra player!!!
    Agree. Carlisle for me.

MSB you want Stockport to lose?

Ah, you didn't read my second sentence....

However, I think SC will win...;(

However I was surprised how easily Carlisle beat Bradford...That is probably my reasoning but SC fans, well!!!!

How's that for a balanced argument?

BTW, who was the management guy here that was supposed to be leaving? KL?

I believe our Chairman is a millionaire? Is he going to buy Renaldo?

No seriously, we have had a terrible last two seasons and yet we basically have the same team next season too...That is bad news for the fans and ST sales, isn't it?
    Last edited by MikeSB; 25-05-2023 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    MSB you want Stockport to lose?

Ah, you didn't read my second sentence....

However, I think SC will win...;(

However I was surprised how easily Carlisle beat Bradford...That is probably my reasoning but SC fans, well!!!!

How's that for a balanced argument?

BTW, who was the management guy here that was supposed to be leaving? KL?

I believe our Chairman is a millionaire? Is he going to buy Renaldo?

No seriously, we have had a terrible last two seasons and yet we basically have the same team next season too...That is bad news for the fans and ST sales, isn't it?
    The season that has just finished could not be described as a good season. But it certainly wasn't a terrible season. We are a club in transition and to answer the question, we need Carlisle to win purely for the reason that "local" matches help to swell our funds!

No seriously, we have had a terrible last two seasons and yet we basically have the same team next season too...That is bad news for the fans and ST sales, isn't it?[/QUOTE]
    Basically the same team Mike?
    Next season.
    Different keeper, or Booth who would be different to most of this season
    Different right back
    O’Riordan as a first choice CH
    Possibly no Rod McD/Offord
    No Callum Ainley
    Probably no Dan Aygei
    No Sambou
    No Finnegan
    No Brook
    A new player in Chris Long
    Holicek starting to break through
    C Finney playing regularly
    In addition to the 4/5/6 that will be brought in either on contract or loan.
    Substantially different I would say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast