+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post Mortem - Where it went wrong and what next?

Godwin had the team motivated and working hard, probably lacked belief in the end. This isn’t like the team of 95 that got relegated, and should have been too good to go down. This team is bottom on merit, they are the worst team in the League as result of flawed recruitment. No mr motivator with a beat box is going to magic Bergetti into a keeper, turn McGrath or harkes into mcinally and bowman, turn back the years for mulgrew or magic up strikers.

Where it went wrong?

Ive thought about this a fair bit since the OP set that part of the question and the only fixed point i can set is when Houston left the building. Ever since then i had concerns that after something of a shift before then, i became very suspicious of who was actually in charge of the recruitment. Fast forward to RN coming in before the regime change from ST to MO/TA, while i believe that RN initially provided a list of targets that eventually completed the task of gaining promotion, as soon as TA had his system in place, recruitment was the least of the Head Coaches concerns. Yes there has been some success stories, but there are also quite a few questions to be asked regarding how success turned to disaster in some cases. Im looking at Shankland to an extent, Edwards, Carson and so many more in that vein.

I still have huge question mark over the full story as to why RN left, followed by MM and TC only lasting a year, followed by JR, Foxy and JG. I think its about time for MO to come out and say if he had conversations with MM and TC as they walked out the door, tell us if they voiced their concerns about the direction the club was heading in, and if they did, why it took until the fans laid it plain as Foxy was emptied!

What next?

Ensure all traces of Asghar and his cronies are emptied from the club.

Major Squad rebuild.

Whether the Ogrens feel they owe us and stay to be part of that or sell part or all of their share of the club, then whoever needs to dig into their cash reserves and support our return to the top. My fear on that though is that it may take a number of successful transfer windows to facilitate the number of players good enough to win promotion and have them consolidate our top flight place!

Strong possibility we will need to take some medicine on our Academy set up short term to allow money to be spent elsewhere.

Different league, different level, but almost word for word it’s a carbon copy of our own phuck ups………………….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65622943

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Different league, different level, but almost word for word it’s a carbon copy of our own phuck ups………………….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65622943
    Or you could read the Scottish version written by Richard Winton on the same site. It's an excellent resume.

We all know where it went wrong , a couple of reports on BBC and guy in the Herald explain it better than me , where next , get all traces of Asghar and his mob removed from the club forever, how we fair next season is dependent on getting the right players in the door , Goodwin is correct in what we have lacked all season re defenders , midfielders
    Would prefer Ogren to sell up and gtf as he is as much to blame as Asghar , he was told on more than one occasion by fans groups . Sadly he seems intent on staying which I don’t think will help given he has already lost a big chunk of the support . Huge effort required to get back up the first time of asking but that is the hole we find ourselves in

Only just dawned on me that we won't have to put up with VAR next season, that should be at least 10 points gained.

At the risk of depressing everyone, there is also the wafer cup to enjoy. 😢

With Hamilton taking the drop and Kilmarnock definitely safe, am I correct in thinking that there are no plastic pitches in the Championship? I don't know about Airdrie and not sure about Queens Park - I think they were getting a hybrid pitch but don't know when it will be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    With Hamilton taking the drop and Kilmarnock definitely safe, am I correct in thinking that there are no plastic pitches in the Championship? I don't know about Airdrie and not sure about Queens Park - I think they were getting a hybrid pitch but don't know when it will be ready.
    Airdrie is Astro but a good one

Quote Originally Posted by PT_Arab View Post
    Airdrie and Raith are plastic. Lesser Hampden should be ready for the start of the season and will be one of thr best pitches in the country.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)