+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 23-24

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    It's going to be a massive ask, to get straight back up with the rebuild required. That needs to start right now, in my opinion.
    Firstly, can we build a strong spine to the team! Goalkeeper, central defender, CM and CF! Can we get some strong, no nonsense, ronseal guys in these positions! Our team has been too weak for too long! Then can we possibly consider some pace on the wings and someone that can deliver a cross. Can we then look at bringing in a poacher, pain in the arse striker to pair up with our big striker and a midfielder that ain't affraid to ping in a shot now and again! Shouldn't be too hard...but lets get the spine of this team in as soon as possible!
    I think you have highlighted what is needed, unfortunately this is what every team needs and players with the quality to do this and who are at the end of their contracts are in short supply. By getting relegated, we have just put ourselves further down the pecking order for tempting any such players who are out of contract.

Completely agree with your comments about needing to start the process right now. The last two or three summers I've been observing and commenting on here how other teams have made 4 or 5 signings and we haven't even started looking yet.

It's always "Kilmarnock are interested in player X." Two days later, player X is at Rugby Park wearing the Kilmarnock kit. "Motherwell are interested in player Y" The following week player Y is at Fir Park holding a Motherwell scarf. Repeat but substitute Kilmarnock/Motherwell with any other team in the league that we will be facing. Meanwhile halfway through the close season, we are reported as "interested in some guy from Ipswich". Two weeks later, we're "still interested in some guy from Ipswich" A week later "the deal is edging closer". A week later, "A deal can't be done so we're moving on to other targets". So we end up making our first signing with a week to go until the season starts.

Think we have to face it that recruitment into a championship team is going to be incredibly difficult. Hope we don't repeat our mistakes of last time with ridiculous turnover of players. Clearly need some in, but personally would prefer to at least try building the squad around the talented young players we have in the hope they are more ready whenever we return....I doubt this will be a one year sojourn however.

Graham, Freeman, McMann in defence. Needs bolstered. Duffy good enough? I've not seen him enough. 2 or 3 defenders need to come in for me. Cant see it though and I think it is unlikely we won't see Mulgrew playing a big part next year.

Goalie recruitment difficult. Siegrist has been an obvious example of success, but most others been rubbish. Newman may be the best option. Will there be better than Eriksson out there and realistically available?

Midfield has some strength. I will assume Levitt and Behich go but we do have talent in there. Meekison has excellent technical ability and should be a main man. Mochrie worth a shot too. Lewis O Donnell and Craig Moore both approaching readiness perhaps? Do need some additional bite to support Sibbald though......I suspect Djoum will play next season but we know that isn't the answer.

Fotheringham, Cudjoe have both shown flashes of ability and would be good tonsee more of them. McLeod has done himself no harm and who knows what more is to come. Heenan much like McLeod was in the youth teams......might have something to offer but both very young. Miller Thomson has had little time so far but did at least look to get forward. Would prefer all of these options over another failed loan like McGrath has been. Fletcher......who knows. Is not clinical but has been decent for us and does look like he can be a bit of a leader which we completely lack elsewhere. Anaku is a mystery player. Out for ages anyway. Hopefully we can offload Watt.

I personally think. One striker, one defensive midfielder, one goalie and 2-3 defenders (depending on readiness of Duffy and Hutchison). More than that is a big risk. But focus has to be defensively for me.

Manager - who knows. Goodwin won't have other options. We are not attractive for managers given our recent history. We will have limited choice. I just hope Neilson/Courts are not genuine contenders. Backwards steps in my view

Not where we should be in terms of development, but may present some opportunity too (look at the Dees and Lyall Cameron - wouldn't have played had they been in the prem)

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    At least if Goodwin gets the job he has a head start on identifying the many issues that we have.

It’s a complete rebuild - barely any players that should be there next season.

Definitely get rid of Mulgrew imo
    Any one of us could identify the issues we have though, it's hardly a secret. Get rid of absolutely every c*nt and start over, simples!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post

Graham, Freeman, McMann in defence. Needs bolstered. Duffy good enough? I've not seen him enough. 2 or 3 defenders need to come in for me. Cant see it though and I think it is unlikely we won't see Mulgrew playing a big part next year.

I personally think. One striker, one defensive midfielder, one goalie and 2-3 defenders (depending on readiness of Duffy and Hutchison). More than that is a big risk. But focus has to be defensively for me.
    No offense but i genuinely cant believe what I'm reading here. You think 4-5 players? We need 4-5 players just for our bench, never mind the starting 11.

If freeman, and mcmann are even remotely close to starting 11 next season then we won't be coming up for a while, id be gutted if they even make our bench, they are utter sh1t. Freeman and McMann arent even championship level.

We will need double figures for next season to stand a realistic chance of promotion at first attempt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy vine View Post
    it was commented on BBC Radio Scotland yesterday that there wasn't any relegation clauses in the players contracts and lets face it why would they after last seasons success, even Nostradamus could not have predicted the implosion that has happened this season.
    Relegation was a consideration i did have at the end of last season based on what i had just witnessed. I remember being quite a lone voice in raising a large number of concerns as we navigated our way through our usual winter sticky patch. In the end though, it was the actions of the owners and Asghar that have got us into the position where we are all but down with the last game to go.

Before getting to next season, the club needs to be releasing some truthful statements and interview as to how this was permitted to happen, then either a commitment from the Ogrens to dip into their pockets to right their involvement in this, or to sell on to someone who can and has United at the forefront of their minds. Their next biggest issue will be recruiting a proper DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL and team MANAGER, NOT FECKING HEAD COACH!

We then need the DOF and Manager to work together and rebuild a decimated squad that might see more departures before the recruitment of nearly 2 teams of players!

Dont think we are bouncing right back up!

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    No offense but i genuinely cant believe what I'm reading here. You think 4-5 players? We need 4-5 players just for our bench, never mind the starting 11.

If freeman, and mcmann are even remotely close to starting 11 next season then we won't be coming up for a while, id be gutted if they even make our bench, they are utter sh1t. Freeman and McMann arent even championship level.

We will need double figures for next season to stand a realistic chance of promotion at first attempt
    Agreed, we need 2 goalkeepers for a start but for me if it was possible I'd rinse the f*cking lot of them. Absolutely nobody worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Relegation was a consideration i did have at the end of last season based on what i had just witnessed. I remember being quite a lone voice in raising a large number of concerns as we navigated our way through our usual winter sticky patch. In the end though, it was the actions of the owners and Asghar that have got us into the position where we are all but down with the last game to go.

Before getting to next season, the club needs to be releasing some truthful statements and interview as to how this was permitted to happen, then either a commitment from the Ogrens to dip into their pockets to right their involvement in this, or to sell on to someone who can and has United at the forefront of their minds. Their next biggest issue will be recruiting a proper DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL and team MANAGER, NOT FECKING HEAD COACH!

We then need the DOF and Manager to work together and rebuild a decimated squad that might see more departures before the recruitment of nearly 2 teams of players!

Dont think we are bouncing right back up!
    The word plummeting springs more readily to mind than bouncing tbh

Its a horrendous situation. Need to get combo of loans, use existing players, youngsters, and new signings. Sets you back years, you end up getting stuck with players who can get you out championship but aren’t spl standard. That’s if you get out. I don’t think the chairman has any real football understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    When is our partnership with Fulham going to bear any fruits? Surely there are some decent prospects who could gain first team experience at United next season.
    As has been stated many times, the partnership with Fulham does not involve their players coming here on loan. It was more about coaches, laptops etc but it was actually said at the time that it's not about the playing side.

Like most things at United , needs binned

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)