+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good interview with JAQ

Good interview with JAQ

A few things:

JAQ is in the business of merchandising - then she could start by looking at the club logo.
    We can keep the current badge.
    But IMO if we are wanting to sell more stuff - especially to the younger end - then we need something far more punchy than an old fashioned badge on it.
    Lessons could be learnt from Rugby League badges.

With regards to recent conversions on here in relation to the recruitment genius that is James Cryne.
    This is what JAQ has said
    …………. ‘Before this season started, Quay and her fellow board members met for dinner and discussed where they thought Barnsley would finish. The consensus was between 12th and ninth (their budget is between 10th and 12th in the 24-team division).’

This has come as a surprise to me because I would have guessed Barnsley’s budget would have been about 7th or 8th in the league.
    But it is clear evidence how good the recruitment at the club has been.

Appreciate it if someone can paste the link.

I can't do the link Nudge but I have read it on BBS.

It omits the reason why Conway came to be in charge here for four years and who was responsible.

In the USA there is a method of raising finance known as a Special Purpose Acquisition Company (SPAC) which is a shell company (no goods or services created) existing just to raise money for a specific purpose elsewhere. Conway thought there was money to be made in what he saw as undervalued European football clubs and pitched to the New York finance market to seek investors in his scheme using his SPAC. Four Hedge Fund companies, Edmonds, Reynolds, Samuelson and another, were interested in the potential profits and they signed up to Conway's scheme as a joint Investor Group. They made Conway their representative to oversee their business in a cheap debt free Championship club in England which was up fpr sale--Barnsley FC--and left Conway to it.

The owner/ leader of one of the Hedge Funds was Matthew Edmonds, married to the Australian Julie Ann Quay, who has fashion interests. The combination of Lee, PMG and the Investor Group gave Conway the balance of power and Conway set upon his four year work at Barnsley which we all know about. After four years of allowing Conway to do his stuff and watching on they eventually realised Conway was trashing their investment and binned him, deciding to join up with Parekh and Cryne to create a new balance of power enabling Conway to be removed.

The Investor Group have since disbanded with Parekh buying up their shares leaving only the Edmonds Hedge Fund left with 6.11% of the shares. JAQ, Edmond's wife, is on the Board to represent Edmonds Hedge Fund.

It was Edmonds who was jointly responsible for Conway being here but the spin is they have arrived as a new broom removing the evil Conway and the article reinforces this idea.

I've nothing personally against the bubbly JAQ and her ideas but lets not air brush away the reason why Conway came here in the first place and the fact he was allowed to wreck the club over four years.

(I didn't know Devante Cole designed the players track suits, known in the fashion world as "casual tunnel wear" as in players tunnel. )
    Last edited by SBRed48; 26-05-2023 at 11:38 AM.

I’m presuming Paul Conway came here because he was invited by Chien Lee.
    So IMO the question should be - why did Chien arrive here.
    We heard at the beginning that they ‘wernt going to go crazy’ - and their intentions were to build steadily.
    But that came apparent that it wasn’t the case.
    So yes there’s a story to be told regarding what went off in the boardroom over the last 5 or 6 years.
    But I don’t think we will ever hear about it.

Jaq is a tiddleback in dearne when you look at who holds the power
    Let’s see what parek’s good news is
    Can’t wait tb honest
    I will struggle to concentrate on Monday’s game with that at back a mind
    ITS ALL ABART FOOTBALL ON PITCH,
    Always will be
    COYR!

A meant stickleback

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle council View Post
    Can’t wait tb honest
    Always will be
    COYR!
    There’s a thorn in a stickleback…………
    Enjoy the game…….. fishing is a long game…. Often a day out is spent catching nowt…….. but sometimes it’s not about what you catch…. It’s the peace you get waiting to catch Nowt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle council View Post
    Can’t wait tb honest
    Always will be
    COYR!
    ‘All abart football on the pitch.’
    Is equivalent to saying - politics is nowt to do with me.

If yer don’t know what’s happening off the pitch then yer not getting a full picture of what’s happening on the pitch.
    Last season was a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I’m presuming Paul Conway came here because he was invited by Chien Lee.
    So IMO the question should be - why did Chien arrive here.
    We heard at the beginning that they ‘wernt going to go crazy’ - and their intentions were to build steadily.
    But that came apparent that it wasn’t the case.
    So yes there’s a story to be told regarding what went off in the boardroom over the last 5 or 6 years.
    But I don’t think we will ever hear about it.
    The "Consortium" of Lee, Parekh, Cryne, Conway, Hung and The Investor Group (then mystery figures) came together in 2017 in a common financial interest as owners of Barnsley FC. Conway had only a very small percentage of shares, his power and initial Co Chairmanship with Lee came from the fact that he was the representative of the Investor Group who then held about 20% of the shares and held the balance of power when combined with Lee and PMG.

The point I am making is that the Investor Group failed to oversee their representative Conway and offer any kind of oversight or challenge his activity.

In the article it says, " It was 2017 when JAQ and her husband Matthew Edmonds became part of a small group of investors in Barnsley. For years they went under the radar watching games from their home in New York"
    This is code for "We left Conway to it "

It goes on to say, "I've (JAQ) been watching from a distance for a long time", Quay says, " but when the club got relegated last year it was like---OK, hang on.."
    This is code for, "This guy Conway is trashing our investment Matthew".

Only then did the Investor Group decide to switch sides to Parekh and Cryne to give them the balance of power so they could vote off Conway. The Investor Group then disbanded leaving only Edmonds, represented here by JAQ. Parekh bought the other Investor Group member's shares

It was the original Investor Group that gave Conway the power and then failed to monitor him.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 27-05-2023 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    ‘All abart football on the pitch.’
    Is equivalent to saying - politics is nowt to do with me.

If yer don’t know what’s happening off the pitch then yer not getting a full picture of what’s happening on the pitch.
    Last season was a prime example.

Thats a bit rich that coming from you Nudger. It took abart 3 years fo thi to twig Conway

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Thats a bit rich that coming from you Nudger. It took abart 3 years fo thi to twig Conway
    When the facts change I change my mind.
    And as been said - that came during a 19 minute Khaled interview on Radio Sheffield in November 2021.
    That interview sunk Chien Lee as it revealed their true intentions.

SB - I don’t think it was a case of JAQ standing back - more a case that Chien Lee controlled the majority of shares and he’d put Conway on a contract to run the club.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast