+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 187 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Jim Goodwin rebuild thread

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    I haven't forgotten these 2. Fortunately they were quickly found out and punted at first window. We had Harkes and Pawlett for over 3 years.
    Opinions and all that. Mine is that neither Harkes nor Pawlett were ever anywhere near the description you've given them.

I find it interesting that a lot of fans view technology with suspicious and quickly point the finger at it when things don't work out.

In reality it's one of many tools used by managers and coaches these days that without we'd be at a disadvantage, even compared to teams like Forfar. Ultimately none of the stats matter if the manager can't get the players to do what they want.

Nothing is ever straightforward and football management is probably one of the most complex. Most fans would like (and even perceive) it to be simple but the fact is that is really isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Opinions and all that. Mine is that neither Harkes nor Pawlett were ever anywhere near the description you've given them.

There have been worse midfielders at the club but in terms of number of games played yes the impact or lack of it is huge. Apart from the odd flash here and there, no creativity going forward, no steel in winning balls, poor on the ball, no defensive quality, a breeze for any team we were playing.

Wonderful that will never have to endure again Pawlett and Harkes in a United jersey, the most ineffective midfield duo in living memory.
    Think its a bit harsh to be down on Pawlett when he had been injured so much. Was the right player to bring in at the time, and its not his fault for taking another year that was offered to him as he must be nearing the stage where he has to consider hanging up his boots. There is also something morally wrong when a player, who is regularly given injections to make it through games, is just thrown on the scrapheap.

But now he has had an operation, made it back to apparent fitness, thank you and goodbye!

As for Harkes! Ive just listened to his interview on the Dode Fox Podcast, and for a player to say he did not like the manager kinda confirms to me that our players chucked it for 3 managers this season, and i really hope the ringleaders are being rooted out!

There have been worse midfielders at the club but in terms of number of games played yes the impact or lack of it is huge. Apart from the odd flash here and there, no creativity going forward, no steel in winning balls, poor on the ball, no defensive quality, a breeze for any team we were playing.
    I've seen much better and I've seen much worse to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I find it interesting that a lot of fans view technology with suspicious and quickly point the finger at it when things don't work out.

In reality it's one of many tools used by managers and coaches these days that without we'd be at a disadvantage, even compared to teams like Forfar. Ultimately none of the stats matter if the manager can't get the players to do what they want.

Nothing is ever straightforward and football management is probably one of the most complex. Most fans would like (and even perceive) it to be simple but the fact is that is really isn't.
    If its such a complex game, why do i hear pundits constantly harping on about the Simple Game, and Over Complicating Things?

Im not against technology if its used in the right way, and i believe we have a midfield this season that one set of stats will say they covered nearly every blade of grass in multiple games. Ultimately though, we lost all of those games because they spent most of that time being powder puff in the tackle and loosing the ball!

The keeper from America, im sure again that a lovely dossier was provided to the club, a couple of Youtube links and a stats pack to die for! Gets in the door, JG sees he is way out of shape in so many ways and returns to sender!

Ross Graham, i wonder what the stats say about him as i fully believe there is a cracking defender in there, which we saw to an extent last year. But why has he not played this season? Does his stats say he just strolls about, because that seems to be what he does in games at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    If its such a complex game, why do i hear pundits constantly harping on about the Simple Game, and Over Complicating Things?
    Pundits? Really? Football players don't tend to be the brightest lights in the box. They've probably spend their whole careers with coaches and managers telling them things in very simple terms and not to over complicate their job. But that's the job of an individual player, management is far more nuanced.

This is where I'm at

Jan Telesnikov and Chris Myers

Pundits? Really? Football players don't tend to be the brightest lights in the box. They've probably spend their whole careers with coaches and managers telling them things in very simple terms and not to over complicate their job. But that's the job of an individual player, management is far more nuanced.

Maybe you should put your CV in so we can get a more intelligent insight into our beautiful game!

Page 12 of 187 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)