+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 178 of 187 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1861

Thread: Official Jim Goodwin rebuild thread

To be honest, I would be very surprised if we don't have the biggest budget in the league already by some distance. So the investment is already there to win this league. To guarantee success in football you need to spend much much more than your competitors and that can easily put the entire future of a club like ours at risk. I'd rather spend 10 years in the championship than having no team to support.

We have enough to win this league already on paper. Yes we are susceptible to injuries but so is every football team in the world. Could Man city replicate their aim to repeat last year's feats if Haaland and de bruyne are injured for a significant time?

I would like another striker and powerful attacking midfielder like everyone else but if the players and manager do their jobs and we aren't very unlucky with injuries we are easily winning this league as it stands. That of course in football is a big IF but I'm feeling confident at this point at least.

Quote Originally Posted by sultan_of_arabia View Post
    To be honest, I would be very surprised if we don't have the biggest budget in the league already by some distance. So the investment is already there to win this league. To guarantee success in football you need to spend much much more than your competitors and that can easily put the entire future of a club like ours at risk. I'd rather spend 10 years in the championship than having no team to support.

We have enough to win this league already on paper. Yes we are susceptible to injuries but so is every football team in the world. Could Man city replicate their aim to repeat last year's feats if Haaland and de bruyne are injured for a significant time?

I would like another striker and powerful attacking midfielder like everyone else but if the players and manager do their jobs and we aren't very unlucky with injuries we are easily winning this league as it stands. That of course in football is a big IF but I'm feeling confident at this point at least.
    The point most of us are making is that lack of investment now could be catastrophic to ours and Ogrens finances if we fail to get up at the first opportunity. Just as failure to invest in January put us in this hole in the first place. It's no good Ogren bitching about how much relegation has cost him and the club when he had the f*cking opportunity to do something about it. He's now making the same mistake again!

Although having a large budget in comparison the majority of it is still paying players from previous regimes.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    Although having a large budget in comparison the majority of it is still paying players from previous regimes.
    There's only five players (McMann, Freeman, Sibbald, Watt & Birightti) in that squad who will be getting paid a decent wage from the previous regime, so that statement isn't quite true.

Has JG come out and said anything about us not getting in any players? He was quoted as saying he was hoping for 1 or 2....then he was looking at getting at least one over the line and then we end up with none. It's pretty unusual for the manager to not mention these things...not sure if I have missed it? It would be nice to know what has happened!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    There's only five players (McMann, Freeman, Sibbald, Watt & Birightti) in that squad who will be getting paid a decent wage from the previous regime, so that statement isn't quite true.
    And of those above, Watt and Poppadom were probably in the ‘higher’ bracket (would also add Middleton). In many ways, the Club has done incredibly well in slashing the wage bill given that Pawlett, Mulgrew, Harkes, Edwards, Eriksson, Fletcher, Levitt, McGrath (Loan), Smith, Niskanen and Behich are all gone. What makes it frightening however is that it would appear we’ve already max-ed out this season’s budget in comparison……………………

Yeah, I think relegation may have been a factor. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Yeah, I think relegation may have been a factor. ��
    Lol.

Precisely - it simply highlights exactly just how severe the financial impact of relegation is, something punters sometimes need reminded of. Having said that, so far this season our squad (which is probably on half, maybe less, wages of last season’s muppets) are showing twice the level of determination and effort than those imposters. There is no way that last season’s team would have gone away to Arbroath and scudded them 4-0 going on 7. Infact, it wouldn’t have surprised me if they’d got beat.

I would be surprised if the players that had been on the big contracts, didn't have their wages reduced after relegation. It's pretty normal for players to have a relegation clause written into their contract meaning that they can be released without penalty or for their wages to be reduced by a percentage. They will still be on decent wages for the championship though!

..it also means their wages go up if we are promoted!

Page 178 of 187 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)