+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The no one cares match thread.

[QUOTE=Arabknight;40290140]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    Down we go, 5 straight defeats, 2 year deal, cool!
    Thank f*ck this season is over!![

Can’t blame JG for this. His hands have been tied. He binned the keeper mulgrew and Harkes today. Basically 3 first team players.

The team was made weaker today after subs were introduced. Up to that point thought we played well especially in the first half. Cld have been at least 2 up. Says it all with regards to depth and quality of squad really, which has severely damaged us this season.

Time to clear the decks and start the rebuild.
    If JG had his hands tied then so did his predecessor, it can't work both ways. I get why he's been given a contract but for me he's failed. 5 games ago we had a very good chance of staying up, 5 straight defeats and we are down. Whichever way you want to dress it up, Goodwin is no better than the guys who failed before him. People happy with him because he talks well is ridiculous imo, 0 points from 15 is the reality, fizzy pop league is the reality.

[QUOTE=Arabdownsouth;40290219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post

If JG had his hands tied then so did his predecessor, it can't work both ways. I get why he's been given a contract but for me he's failed. 5 games ago we had a very good chance of staying up, 5 straight defeats and we are down. Whichever way you want to dress it up, Goodwin is no better than the guys who failed before him. People happy with him because he talks well is ridiculous imo, 0 points from 15 is the reality, fizzy pop league is the reality.

I said after we beat Livi to make it 3 wins in a row, let's not get carried away, we can still end up relegated at Fir Park, don't think anyone expected if but to take a point post split, individual errors vs County, Livi and Killie killed us, gifting teams goals, 4 for 12 against after the split

Not good enough by JG, jury is definitely out, I do think there are safer options as manager to get out the championship at first time of asking, the positives are we know already who the manager is, adds a wee bit certainty and he did sign well at Aberdeen overall (not without the odd dud)

Like who ???

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Not good enough by JG, jury is definitely out, I do think there are safer options as manager to get out the championship at first time of asking, the positives are we know already who the manager is, adds a wee bit certainty and he did sign well at Aberdeen overall (not without the odd dud)
    I can understand why we made the decision but ultimately he has failed with a worse record than Fox with the same squad of players

the only thing he has for me is that he knows what he's working with going in to the summer. Would have preferred the contract to be for 1 season tho because his only remit next year is to be promoted and if he fails we will have to pay him off

Worse record than Fox ?? How the **** do you work that out ?? We only won 8 games 3 in his short time , need to give your head a wobble , Fox was in charge most of the season and I guarantee he we kept him we would have been down long before last Wednesdat

[QUOTE=Arabdownsouth;40290219]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post

I don’t know whether JG will be the answer but right now he is in the driving seat and for me the best option. This will be the first time in years that we have a manager in place for a full pre season and the recruitment of players.

He knows the team inside out. He knows what is required and what needs to be cut adrift, and he is the first one out of the managers to say it as it is.

He has made it clear how imbalanced the team is. Something both Ross and Fox failed to mention.

He had a full and frank discussion with MO about where he feels it has went wrong both on the pitch and on recruitment side of things, which suggested to me that he will be his own man. Also something that has been missing from previous managers.

He has also made it clear that he has signing targets and from what I believe he has also wants his own men in.

Only time will tell but right now I’m happy with JG appointment.

[QUOTE=Arabknight;40290260]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post

I don’t know whether JG will be the answer but right now he is in the driving seat and for me the best option. This will be the first time in years that we have a manager in place for a full pre season and the recruitment of players.

He knows the team inside out. He knows what is required and what needs to be cut adrift, and he is the first one out of the managers to say it as it is.

He has made it clear how imbalanced the team is. Something both Ross and Fox failed to mention.

He had a full and frank discussion with MO about where he feels it has went wrong both on the pitch and on recruitment side of things, which suggested to me that he will be his own man. Also something that has been missing from previous managers.

He has also made it clear that he has signing targets and from what I believe he has also wants his own men in.

Only time will tell but right now I’m happy with JG appointment.
    This for me

The Jury is obviously still out but I think Goodwin was probably the most unlucky with Injuries for a start. Hearing Fletxher talk about what he's brought I trust his judgement as he's been around a bit at the top level.

Ultimately it's a gamble no matter who we hire as manager and Goodwin has a couple months head start over any others. He knows exactly what we need and I feel we can trust him to move for the right type of player. Plus he has something to prove.

Hopefully now we do not sleep walk into the season with a lack of pre season friendlies and a lack of signings and we are raring to go with a much improved squad for next season. Honestly how could it not be.

Quote Originally Posted by ianharab View Post
    Worse record than Fox ?? How the **** do you work that out ?? We only won 8 games 3 in his short time , need to give your head a wobble , Fox was in charge most of the season and I guarantee he we kept him we would have been down long before last Wednesdat
    He has a worse win % than Fox, lower goals per game, higher goals conceded per game and has a worse goal difference in 11 games than Fox does in 25, all whilst playing mostly vs bottom 6 teams, only having to play Rangers once and not having played Celtic who would have made the numbers even worse

Literally almost every stat you can look at is worse under Goodwin than Fox whilst Fox played harder games, albeit double the amount

BTW I am in no way defending Fox, but I have seen absolutely nothing from Goodwin to suggest this isnt going to be a disaster. Continuity is the only positive
    Last edited by the_arab; 28-05-2023 at 06:54 PM.

Just read Goodwins post match comments about first job tightening up the defence. He said something similar when he came into Aberdeen, something along the lines of organising a defence was easiest thing to do, and would be ironed out quickly on the training ground. He has resided over the two worst defences in the league this season. Don't necessarily blame him for not being able to turn our defence round with what he was left, but doesn't fill me with too much confidence for season ahead. On plus side at least he should have a head start on getting us up to speed for next season.

My bigger concern is Ogren, he is clueless, there can be no other conclusion to come from one of our, if not most, embarrassing seasons ever. He clearly doesn't have a clue, he needs to come out in the next week and make some sort of update/apology to fans. He might be a nice guy, have best intentions, but Eddie Thomson was a good guy and dyed in the wool Utd fan, and he was a clueless chairman, but at least he was on pulse with Utd fans. Ogren seems too easily influenced, I just hope Jim Goodwin isn't going to be his new 'man', who he just follows blindly as he did Asgar. If clueless on football, I can see why he might look at us getting up, consolidating, and getting Europe to think everything is rosy without having a proper understanding of where we were at. Fact our chairman, Sporting director and manager, coaches, couldn't see what every Utd fan and Stevie Wonder could see as needed addressed in our squad is mind boggling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)