+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kevin's future

Kevin's future

I think I am correct in saying that KvV's contract is until next summer? If so, the first prize would obviously be to keep him. However, we all know about financial realities, so what sort of number would be the absolute minimum for the board to consider, if we receive an offer.

Given that we got R3 m+ for Turnbull, but Kevin is 31, what price on a player who has broken all sorts of scoring records?

I think we'll get 500k and tbh it's hard not to be thrilled with that all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I think we'll get 500k and tbh it's hard not to be thrilled with that all in.
    Sounds about right to me too. I doubt we'd entertain anything less than 500, and can't imagine who'd pay more than 750 for a 31-year-old who may well never hit the same form again.

I saw an article in Dutch (luckily I speak Afrikaans!!!) that said that the chairman of Groningen had been to Motherwell to talk to Kevin, but since they have just been relegated, that might not be an attractive prospect (mind you, I've been to Groningen and it's a nice city).

As long as he doesn't go to Ibrox!!!!

Looks like he's off to Groningen according to this report

Google translates the story as -

Kevin van Veen says yes

FC Groningen almost got Kevin van Veen. The Groningers have reached a verbal agreement with the 32-year-old striker, reports FCUpdate journalist Mounir Boualin. Van Veen gave his yes to the Eredivisie relegation team last weekend.

If the final details have been worked out and the medical examination does not cause any problems, Van Veen can call himself a player of Groningen. The Pride of the North takes him over from Motherwell. In Scottish service, he became a sensation last season, scoring 29 goals in 44 games. Of those, he made 25 at the highest level in Scotland. Only Celtic's Kyogo Furuhashi (27 goals) has scored more often.

The 32-year-old Van Veen started his career at PSV (youth) and Helmond Sport and seemed to have to put the professional life out of his mind after a breakthrough failed. The striker became a plasterer and continued with the amateurs, where he impressed so much that TOP Oss picked him up. Van Veen then played for S****horpe United, SC Cambuur (loan), Northampton Town and since the summer of 2021 for Motherwell.

Van Veen will succeed Ricardo Pepi at Groningen. The American striker was on loan from FC Augsburg last season and impressed by scoring twelve times in 26 Eredivisie games, but failed to save his temporary club from relegation to the Kitchen Champion Division.

My concern is that Groningen have offered KVV a substantial wage (I’ve seen £10K per week mentioned) but are not going to offer us a similarly attractive transfer fee, hoping that Kevin will pressure us into releasing him “no release, I down tools”. I hope they are playing fair, but they do seem to be a bit of a basket case when you read how last season went for them. I agree with the other posters that it should be no less than £500K. More than that would be better and not unreasonable in terms of the money often paid for players these days.

£500K is on the low side of what I think is commensurate with his value to the coming season. But of course, these days everything goes to the advantage of the players and yeah if the transfer is blocked how enthusiastic will he be at performing?

Groningen by the sounds of it are up to their tricks and if he goes there, well, I understand it's back to his homeland, but he's taking a step down in leagues. Only thing here is paying him and ripping off Motherwell.

It will be back to what it was like at the start of last season... scarcity of goals for the lack of a goalscorer.
    Such is typical these days.

Offer the entire squad a low basic wage, but offer goal scoring and winning incentives in higher bonuses. That way the whole squad will hopefully give their all in every game knowing the difference between a defeat or draw is way below that of a win bonus

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)