+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers in and out Summer 2023

why would Charlton be a bigger threat ?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Possibly, I guess it depends upon pay and what the lad wants. Would certainly class derby as the bigger club despite the league we are in.
    We are in the same league as Charlton ??

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    why would Charlton be a bigger threat ?
    Just because...Derby should always be able to see off the likes of Wrexham and Peterborough and Millwall are Millwall, but Charlton are a decent London club and he’s a lad from the South East, but hopefully playing in front of 30,000 at Pride Park will still prove more attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    We are in the same league as Charlton ??
    I didn't say we weren't!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Just because...Derby should always be able to see off the likes of Wrexham and Peterborough and Millwall are Millwall, but Charlton are a decent London club and he’s a lad from the South East, but hopefully playing in front of 30,000 at Pride Park will still prove more attractive.
    My thoughts exactly, they finished 10th and with 14 pts less. IF we are interested, then Warne should be able to sell the club and facilities plus our theoretical promotion prospects are better, we shall see no doubt.

FLW still plugging that Boro defender they linked us with back in January as a "possible target". BS of the highest order.

AF any chance of making this a sticky?

I see that Haydn Roberts is in talks with Bristol City, so it seems we wont be getting him, I guess it makes sense given they are in the championship and can pay higher wages.

Still waiting for McGoldrick to make a decision, it would be a shame if he chose Notts County, though understandable from his point of view to finish his career where at his home town club.

I think the next couple of weeks will see some movement, but it seems one possible player I definitely not returning.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    AF any chance of making this a sticky?

I see that Haydn Roberts is in talks with Bristol City, so it seems we wont be getting him, I guess it makes sense given they are in the championship and can pay higher wages.

Still waiting for McGoldrick to make a decision, it would be a shame if he chose Notts County, though understandable from his point of view to finish his career where at his home town club.

I think the next couple of weeks will see some movement, but it seems one possible player I definitely not returning.
    Am I the only one who finds this a little concerning?
    I understand Roberts wanting to step up to the Championship although I think he’ll be a huge loss. Perhaps we could see the return of Lee Buchanan who doesn’t appear to have settled in Germany.
    Find McGoldrick’s position more difficult. Obviously money isn’t an issue, as even we are better off than Notts County, and I understand the desire to finish at your boyhood club, but I’d have thought after such a successful season last time he’d be keen to stay and build on it. Bit puzzling and very disappointing if he leaves.
    Be nice to see some definite incoming moves...at the moment it all seems to be likely outgoings...Knight, Roberts and now Didzy too...big shoes to fill.

I understand Roberts wanting to step up to the Championship although I think he’ll be a huge loss. Perhaps we could see the return of Lee Buchanan who doesn’t appear to have settled in Germany.
    Find McGoldrick’s position more difficult. Obviously money isn’t an issue, as even we are better off than Notts County, and I understand the desire to finish at your boyhood club, but I’d have thought after such a successful season last time he’d be keen to stay and build on it. Bit puzzling and very disappointing if he leaves.
    Be nice to see some definite incoming moves...at the moment it all seems to be likely outgoings...Knight, Roberts and now Didzy too...big shoes to fill.
    Money talks rA! Given that its a precarious carer, which an injury could end at any time, I can quite understand why Roberts would choose adeal say at 15K per week plus bonuses with a champ side than say £7- 10K a week in a lower league.
    Also warne might have had a discussion with the lad but not be prepared to pay the wages asked, he is working under a budget and if he feels he can get a player in that position for half of what Roberts asked then IMO thats his judgement call.

As for McGoldrick, well its possibly his last contract, he is I believe on holiday, but maybe say beign captain at ones home town club appeals to him, and I wouldn't fault him for that.

Players away on holiday at the moment, nobody finalising deals whilst they see whats on offer, towards the en dof the month we shall see some movement I'm sure.

I'm not concerned rA, if business is conducted quietly as it has been in the past, we shall more than likely see players announced that we ahve never been linked with. Warne knows what he is doing and will be working to get in the players he thinks can do the job, its refreshing to see that we won't (not that we can really) be paying silly wages for the division we are in. Lets face it, it might be worth paying a higherwage to a proven striker, but not for a full back.

I'd rather they both stayed but we have no rights to them and I'd guess neither are 'made for life' financially (Roberts may fade into lower leagues over the years, McGoldrick has one, maybe two, years of any sort of decent level left) so will have salaries at the front of their mind. Interesting (to me) I had a similar conversation with an early-mid-20's 'journeyman' (already!) league 1/2/National league pro while on holiday, he's just moved to his fifth club, he says maintaining a decent salary NOW is a priority because he's seen friends just drift away from the pro game without ever making their 'fortune'. Also interesting is that one of his other priorities was to land with a club with a 'proper' stadium/crowd, 'with proper stands' I think he said, and he has done- I think the pull of a proper stadium was mentioned arlier in the thread and that may be a plus point in Notts landing McGoldrick, albeit their operation is about 50% of ours.

Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)