+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 📝Slocombe Signs

Archie Mair?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Loyalty to a group of players who’ve brought success is understandable but I think keeping Slocombe is a mistake.
    Some very good points made in this thread. I was a bit hasty in my opinion so fair enough if we’re getting someone else in and the club still think he’s got something to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Is this something certain fans just get in their heads about "young keepers/players" and repeat parrot fashion, irrespective of the actual evidence?

We were unbeaten in the four games Brooks played, he looked confident and showed the courage to come out of the area and play the way Williams wants, which isn't easy, and he saved a penalty to boot. I've seen much more experienced keepers do far worse: Bob Catlin, Brian Parkin and Pegguy Arphexad to name three off the top of my head!

As I've said above, Brooks probably needs a loan now to a mid-table National League team to top up on his experience with us and Boston last season, but there will come a time when we can't keep saying he's "one for the future", especially when he's done little wrong when given the chance.
    Not sure I agree. He didn’t look confident to me and was fortunate in my eyes not to be sent off against Bromley (though he shouldn’t have been booked in the first place of course). He doesn’t command his area well with balls into the box and I think if Slocombe or Mair were in goal against Barnet away then we win that game.

Nothing against him really, and I hope he does make the grade but when you compare him to Patterson and Mair then he very clearly isn’t ready to be Notts first choice keeper. You need to feel safe with a goalie, I never did with him between the sticks.

LW and the coaches clearly feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Not sure I agree. He didn’t look confident to me and was fortunate in my eyes not to be sent off against Bromley (though he shouldn’t have been booked in the first place of course). He doesn’t command his area well with balls into the box and I think if Slocombe or Mair were in goal against Barnet away then we win that game.

Nothing against him really, and I hope he does make the grade but when you compare him to Patterson and Mair then he very clearly isn’t ready to be Notts first choice keeper. You need to feel safe with a goalie, I never did with him between the sticks.

LW and the coaches clearly feel the same.
    I think it was telling that Slocombe was rushed back for S****horpe, then got injured again and Mair was put in. Brooks is an ok shot stopper but his distribution isn't great and as you say, his command of the area is lacking. Thankfully, these are things that can be improved but in the mean time, we need two top keepers we can rely on, we have one in Slocombe, now I reckon we'll get a second who is a bit younger but probably an upgrade on Slocombe.

Wouldn't mind James Bellshaw, got promoted from league 2 with Bristol Rovers, can play the sweeper keeper role and is a Notts fan to boot

Well at least he hasn't scored an own goal off an opposition players back. Or conceded a goal to a chap that was hiding behind a goal post. Or conceded a penalty for randomly kicking someone up the arse.

My word we've had some loons in goal. I think we've got a bit too used to having a relatively sane keeper around here!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBalrog View Post
    Well at least he hasn't scored an own goal off an opposition players back. Or conceded a goal to a chap that was hiding behind a goal post. Or conceded a penalty for randomly kicking someone up the arse.

My word we've had some loons in goal. I think we've got a bit too used to having a relatively sane keeper around here!
    Those instances were comical.

I’m hoping that Cameron signs today and the big one is tomorrow - c’mon Ruben, it makes sense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234