+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 📝Slocombe Signs

📝Slocombe Signs

Sam Slocombe has renewed his contract for 2 years. Interesting tidbit is that the board have been honest and said we are bringing in another senior keeper as well
    Last edited by SwalePie; 31-05-2023 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added signature icon to title

Loyalty to a group of players who’ve brought success is understandable but I think keeping Slocombe is a mistake.

Sam Slocombe has become the second out-of-contract player to commit his future to us.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper has signed a new two-year deal, following in the footsteps of fellow long-serving Magpie Connell Rawlinson.
    And both Luke Williams and our board of directors look forward to welcoming him back to Meadow Lane in pre-season.

A statement reads: “Sam, like Connell, is such a valuable asset to us on and off the field.

“He’s an immensely experienced goalkeeper who has demonstrated his quality and consistency over his four years at the club.

“The role Sam played in last season’s promotion cannot be underestimated. He was a v1tal component in our team and many of the outstanding performances we produced would not have been possible without him.

“Equally importantly, he’s one of the best professionals you could ever wish to have in your squad. The way he conducts himself day in, day out is exemplary and we see him as the perfect role model for our younger players.

“We’ve enjoyed open and constructive dialogue with Sam over the summer to explain our intention to bring in a new, senior goalkeeper to work alongside him and Tiernan Brooks.

“We see this as an important element of our long-term squad development and Sam fully understands our position.

“We know he will continue to drive high standards from those around him and provide extremely tough competition for a place in our starting line-up.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/

The statement reads clearly that we are looking to bring in another keeper.
    I’d assume he’s accepted the role as bench keeper and top pro at the club with a younger guy coming into the team.
    Send Brooks out on loan to a non league team to make a step up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Loyalty to a group of players who’ve brought success is understandable but I think keeping Slocombe is a mistake.
    He's a reliable keeper and decent backup for a L2 side, plus he's a solid pro who's no doubt a great influence on Brookes and the rest of the lads, but I think we definitely need to bring someone in who's more comfortable with our playing style if we want to progress.

I would have also said possible mistake, depending on the terms (£) of the contracts, but that 'tidbit' is indeed interesting and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Sam Slocombe has become the second out-of-contract player to commit his future to us.

The 34-year-old goalkeeper has signed a new two-year deal, following in the footsteps of fellow long-serving Magpie Connell Rawlinson.
    And both Luke Williams and our board of directors look forward to welcoming him back to Meadow Lane in pre-season.

A statement reads: “Sam, like Connell, is such a valuable asset to us on and off the field.

“He’s an immensely experienced goalkeeper who has demonstrated his quality and consistency over his four years at the club.

“The role Sam played in last season’s promotion cannot be underestimated. He was a v1tal component in our team and many of the outstanding performances we produced would not have been possible without him.

“Equally importantly, he’s one of the best professionals you could ever wish to have in your squad. The way he conducts himself day in, day out is exemplary and we see him as the perfect role model for our younger players.

“We’ve enjoyed open and constructive dialogue with Sam over the summer to explain our intention to bring in a new, senior goalkeeper to work alongside him and Tiernan Brooks.

“We see this as an important element of our long-term squad development and Sam fully understands our position.

“We know he will continue to drive high standards from those around him and provide extremely tough competition for a place in our starting line-up.”

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/may/slocombe-new-contract-310523/

Makes total sense. Great that we're being so upfront about our plans, and that senior pros like Rawlo and Slocombe realise they have a massive role to play not only on the pitch, but also in mentoring younger players and instilling the type of professionalism that has got us this far. Plus, with seven subs on the bench, we'll need players like them more than we might realise.

Clearly Luke Williams values Sam for more than his on pitch performances. I think it's telling that Luke has made it clear we're looking to sign a new number one goalkeeper and Sam is on board with this.
    I've always been impressed when I've heard Sam speak and his attitude is obviously very professional.
    Yes, he's made bad mistakes as have others but a mistake by a goalkeeper more often than not can lead to a goal being conceded. Mistakes by other defenders are more quickly forgotten.
    I've seen Sam make some outstanding saves that have kept us in games but sadly we only remember the howlers.
    I'm sure Sam would be the first to accept that his track record of penalty saves is not great but Luke is no fool and wouldn't have offered him a contract if he didn't have a role in mind for him.
    In Luke we trust. You Pies.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...ntract-310523/

Not upset with this with the caveat we're bringing in another keeper. He had a shocker at Wembley and I don't think he makes many unexpected saves but for continuity in the dressing room and behind the scenes he's probably worth his wage for that alone.

Great news, model profesional and confirmed that he will have senior competition for the #1 spot. Can't recall the last time we didn't have to loan a goalkeeper as backup!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast