+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Macca to Leicester?

Quote Originally Posted by Moreton_Pie View Post
    I would like to think that these clubs are a but more astute. Mecca we t hiding in the games against Wrexham Away, Boreham Wood and Chesterfield. He will be man marked now and when he is, he isn't the goalscorer that he was. There will be a better class of defender even if he stays with us. They should all wait another season TBF.
    Sorry don’t agree… he was man marked for most of the season but particularly against those teams.

He is the real deal as far as I’m concerned… he’ll score wherever he goes… natural goal scorer.

I hope he stays but Langstaff has absolutely earned a move to someone like Leicester. If they pay the necessary, trebles all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    1.5 mill + Vardy
    Yep I'll take that 👍

In my opinion, both Macca and Rodrigues didn't really produce the goods in the big 3 games (Wrexham, Borehamwood, Chesterfield), but not through a lack of talent, effort or anything else. It just looked like it wasn't their game which is something that happens in football.

The main thing for me about Macca is his incredible discipline to play the role he's clearly been told by the manager, which often means he spends many games running himself into the ground and barely seeing the ball. How many games this season, particularly towards the latter half, did he have very few touches on the ball except sticking it in the back of the net? I'm in no doubt he can do a lot more if he gets on the ball, but it's just not been part of the plan. I think that his dogmatic approach to instructions will endear him to any manager.

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyPie View Post
    While he did dry up over the last few games I wouldn't say he went missing. The opposition closed him down and we very rarely got the ball into the right place for him (a foretaste of L2?). His game is based on running onto a ball and we were forced into a possession game around the edges of a packed defensive third. Couldn't fault his work rate trying though.

This. It's easy to say a player went missing but there is more to it than that. Are/were they carrying an injury? Also we are talking the end of a long grueling record breaking season going toe to toe with Wrexham and compounded fatigued surely has to be considered? Secondly having watched the Wembley Final again in a less heighted stressed state and knowing the result the level of service that Macauley Langstaff received that day was minimal. It was also similar in the Wrexham game and Boreham Wood. If the opposition can cut the supply line out to the front man who operates in the box then they are going to get little service and little opportunities to score.

Kyle Wootton has scored 14 goals in 41 appearances for Stockport in League Two this season. Last season he scored 19 goals for us and the season before 15 goals. So the step up on the face of it between NL and EFL L2 for exceptional teams like us and Wrexham means we should be competitive. It also means strikers being able to get the service should still be able to produce the goods.

Time will tell but for me Macauley Langstaff is a natural goal scorer and providing we can adjust to the level we will be playing at by giving him the service to outwit league two defence's then there is no reason for me that he can't be a 20 goal a season striker in league two. Although when you've scored 32 goals in tier 6 and 42 goals in tier 5 then what's to say he can't battle it out with Paul Mullin who scored 37 last time out in League Two?

It's going to be about the quality of service for me, not Maccas ability.

The rumour to Leicester is an easy one for anyone to make up especially as they have just been relegated, they are in the East Midlands and the Vardy story set's it up for a potential Vardy Mark 2. As others have said I'm sure Middlesbrough and Sunderland will have been watching closely with him being a North East lad.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 01-06-2023 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    Kyle Wootton has scored 14 goals in 41 appearances for Stockport in League Two this season. Last season he scored 19 goals for us and the season before 15 goals. So the step up on the face of it between NL and EFL L2 for exceptional teams like us and Wrexham means we should be competitive. It also means strikers being able to get the service should still be able to produce the goods.
    I would also say there is a side to Kyle's game I think that was missed this season, from defending set pieces, corners etc, certainly not a strong point on Langstaff's game.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    i would also say there is a side to kyle's game i think that was missed this season, from defending set pieces, corners etc, certainly not a strong point on langstaff's game.
    a somewhat ‘negative’ comment!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    a somewhat ‘negative’ comment!
    'Informed comment' I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    'Informed comment' I'd say
    Odd way of comparing 2 strikers and I reckon we conceded less from set pieces this season than in Kyle Wootons last season at Notts?

Was interesting to see Kristian Dennis got 20 goals for Carlisle last season. I'd say he is very similar to Macca in the way he scores his goals so if we can ensure Macca gets the service he should have no problem scoring the goals. I have no concern over Macca's ability to step up, he's a natural goal scorer and definitely L1 standard. My concern for next season is ensuring we have the players to give him that service.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast