+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023-24 Aberdeen European Football Thread

Official 2023-24 Aberdeen European Football Thread

As it stands at this moment in time, we will be unseeded for the UEFA Europa Conference League Third Qualifying Round (Main Path). This is two rounds before the group stage.

As I understand it (and I can't really make head nor tail of it), if Sellick pull off a cup win over Inverness CT, then we take the cup winner's berth in the Europa League (UEFA Cup in auld money) and go into the play-off round as a "priority one" team, which means we can draw either a team which loses in the Champions League third qualifying round, or one of the teams from the main path of the third qualifying round.

If we win that, then we're in the group stage. And if we lose that, then we drop into the Conference League group stage.

It's that simple.

So we want raselickbyrawaybutbigman to win the cup.......this wishing the cheeks well doesnae sit easy.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    So we want raselickbyrawaybutbigman to win the cup.......this wishing the cheeks well doesnae sit easy.
    I prefer to think of it as hoping that Caley don't win.��

I’ll be
    “Oh was there a game on?
    Now, when are the Dons in the draw?”

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I’ll be
    “Oh was there a game on?
    Now, when are the Dons in the draw?”
    Assuming no shock tomorrow the draw is on 7th August with the matches on 24/31 August.

If it all goes horribly wrong tomorrow, the draw would be on the 24th July with the matches on 10/17 August.

As a quick aside the Europa League final is in Dublin next year on 22nd May - keep the date free

That seems ages away.

I suppose we've gotten used to starting in Europe about the trades fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    I prefer to think of it as hoping that Caley don't win.��
    This^^^^

Traditional Highland League hatred for the Telford Street Masons lives on. I can guarantee that hunners of Inverness Thistle fans, still angry about the way their club was murdered in plain sight, will be hoping that the Masons get a fûcking hiding tomorrow.

The Tims will win easily. If they don't, Ange won't be getting the Spurs job.

I thought we'd beat Darvel easily. Anything can happen in fitba.

Let's hope it disnae tomorrow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    That seems ages away.

I suppose we've gotten used to starting in Europe about the trades fortnight.
    I have a question, and it is purely out of curiosity and an interest in language. I have seen the increase in usage of the past participle 'gotten' in younger generations (presumably tv influence?). I have no issue with this - after all, it was commonplace here until the 1700s. But since that time only the Americans have persevered with this version rather than the shortened 'got'.

I am quite surprised of your adoption of an Americanism given your generation and your perceived hatred of all things USA. I wondered if you have always used this version of the past participle, or if this Americanism has slowly worked its way into your everyday speech, unconsciously infiltrating you like so many other Americanisms? And if you have always used it, I am fascinated as to how such an old form of speech has managed to survive in a part of the North East (presuming you're not so old you were around in the days of middle English &#128521.

Thanks

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast