+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to change our identity

Time to change our identity

We can't persist in this high pressing in your faces- style of football that typifies Rotherham United.

The squad limped over the line last season.-too many injuries picked up running about like headless chickens.

Taylor is right. We need a new strategy if we want longevity in this division.

Are our fans though willing to embrace a radical new approach?.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    We can't persist in this high pressing in your faces- style of football that typifies Rotherham United.

The squad limped over the line last season.-too many injuries picked up running about like headless chickens.

Are our fans thought willing to embrace a radical new approach?.
    We stopped high pressing when Warne left.

It’s worked a treat for Luton and Millwall last season.

I agree we need an identity though. Because of our patched up squad it’s been hard to settle.

Hugill not being ahead of our other attackers when injured or sick would be a good start.

Half the people who moan about the high press and 'workmanlike' players with no skill but bundles of energy that are good at running around and picking up injuries will be the same ones moaning that players we sign with technique, craft and skill are 'luxury' players we can't risk playing because they don't run around and track back to defend!!

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

Are our fans though willing to embrace a radical new approach?.

Would you be willing to embrace a radical new approach? Only yesterday you said 'If there was one player in the world who I would pick as being totally unsuitable for RUFC it would be Fosu.'. Seeing as Fosu isn't a high pressing, in your face footballer typical of Rotherham United, it would suggest you aren't?

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Would you be willing to embrace a radical new approach? Only yesterday you said 'If there was one player in the world who I would pick as being totally unsuitable for RUFC it would be Fosu.'. Seeing as Fosu isn't a high pressing, in your face footballer typical of Rotherham United, it would suggest you aren't?
    I see what you are saying. His work rate was poor but my grippers gripe about him was his decision making. Trying to go on mazy little dribbles at exactly the wrong time and in the wrong place.

Taylor won't have the funds to buy supremely talented individuals but he could afford accomplished passers with footballing intelligence. I don't believe that the passing game can't be coached into players anyway.

Fosu wouldn't suit any style we adopt . He looks like he doesn't even enjoy football.

Idiot, sounds like you're an admirer of a balding ginger Scottish person.

We need a mixture with enough ability but with the work rate. We can't do this all the time but when we can let the ball do the work sign then of a side going the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    We need a mixture with enough ability but with the work rate. We can't do this all the time but when we can let the ball do the work sign then of a side going the right way.

In theory what I t s says yes agree but budget dictates quality of players we can get in. An improvement in the main on last season recruitment would be a start. Opposition dictates how we play some games we know we're going to get out played. Others we've got to stop them playing. Be enough games though to impose ourselves on them given we get the right players in.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    I agree. Getting the right blend/mixture/combination of 'grafters' and 'quality' will be crucial to our success. Ronnie and Steve Evans got the balance about right in their teams. Occasionally, if you strike gold, you get the combination within one player, for example Lee Frecklington or Alan Lee.

Just as important I would say is to get the right mix of youth (with its energy and drive) and experience (with the ability to calm things and dictate).

The above is easy to type but I would suspect incredibly hard to forge into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSquirt View Post
    Half the people who moan about the high press and 'workmanlike' players with no skill but bundles of energy that are good at running around and picking up injuries will be the same ones moaning that players we sign with technique, craft and skill are 'luxury' players we can't risk playing because they don't run around and track back to defend!!
    Indeed.

If we are bottom 3 at Christmas we will be being told there is no "fire" in the team.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast