+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Defence of Possession

Quote Originally Posted by BJPIE View Post
    You put it so much better thanI could Jackal. I agree, but would just of said Baldwin and Camerons games are riddled with errors. Baldwin quick enough to recover, Cameron not so. Rawlinson makes less errors but possibly the slowest of the 3. We need significant reinforcement in defence.
    Agree with this. Defensively, we muddled through some of the games towards the end of the season. IFeel our present trio may be nearing the peak of their potential and it might not be enough for us to push on as a team. Hope they can all prove me wrong, cuz I love The Undeniables to bits! but in my opinion, including goalie, defence is the area is the main area we need to continue to develop, maybe including LW's strategizing.

Kyle Walker, there's ya man AC. Can do all those things and more.

Sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    If you think of the Dobra goal...everyone would have been wanting Rawlo to show Dobra down the line. But he couldn't do that for fear of being skinned and how bad that would have looked. So Dobra was given more chance to come inside and that goal might have done for us. We need a great one-on-one defender with strength, pace and ball skills at RB to complement Cameron and Baldwin
    Agree, Dobra shouldn't have been allowed to shoot so easily from there. That was a bit of a classic mistake.

It was also one of the those goals, especially with the viewing angle I had, where you know it's in as soon as it's left his foot. Poor defending, great finish from a talented player, cocky celebration, unlikeable lad.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Kyle Walker, there's ya man AC. Can do all those things and more.

Sorted.
    It's interesting that he starting out as a full-back at Spurs and then adapted to the 3 - a lower league version of him is what I imagine the radar is looking for. It won't be a traditional centre-half will it? Even if they have the centre in mind, it's going to be someone with pace I think. But I reckon they'll target the right side.
    We've tried Sam Graham 3 times in 4 years, that says a lot to me. I think we'll bring in someone in that mould.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Very interesting analysis.

There have been several games this season where we've retained the ball so brilliantly, and won it back so high up the field if we lose it, that the opposition have barely troubled our goalkeeper, but it would seem that in those games against stronger opponents where we can't control the game quite as much and opponents do get close enough to have shots on our goal, we are quite vulnerable to conceding.

This tallies with the impression I've had of the team watching games subjectively and emotionally, rather than looking objectively at the data. Our record clearly shows that we've got a very good defensive record, but I actually don't think players like Kyle Cameron and Aden Baldwin are particularly good defenders. I think they're often slow to sense and react to danger. What they are - without a doubt - is very good footballers with more skill than you would normally expect from players in defensive positions at this level, so when it comes to not misplacing passes and having the skill to be able to take a risk and beat an opponent, their skillset is perfect for retaining possession and simply preventing the opponent from having enough of the ball to do damage.

As we progress to the higher level of League Two and hopefully beyond, we're obviously less likely to dominate the ball as much and have as many games going all our own way, which is why I think the recruitment during the summer needs to include a couple of 'proper' defenders who can cope in games where we come under pressure, especially away from home.
    With any style of playing it's about risk v reward and the rewards last season far out weighed the risks with how we played. In the National League our style of play worked. Will it work in league two? Maybe, maybe not. The defenders we have and also the goalkeeper in the style we play are the beginning of the attacks and so like you say are able to play football, pass and dominate the opposition in their own half. The high line allows them to almost be deep holding midfielders and wing backs are essentially wingers and as a unit they pick out passes and probe the opposition.

I can't see our principles of play changing dramatically, more refining and tweaking like what we have seen over the past four seasons. We may end up with defenders who have been in lower league teams who have played out from the back, and are pacey so can recover if we play a high line and are beaten, but also know how to defend robustly when required.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    It's interesting that he starting out as a full-back at Spurs and then adapted to the 3 - a lower league version of him is what I imagine the radar is looking for. It won't be a traditional centre-half will it? Even if they have the centre in mind, it's going to be someone with pace I think. But I reckon they'll target the right side.
    We've tried Sam Graham 3 times in 4 years, that says a lot to me. I think we'll bring in someone in that mould.
    The conundrum is that more often than not pace and height in footballers don’t go hand in hand. Kyle Walker is very good, BUT, how many premier league teams have 6ft 4 forwards where the ball is put on them? Wimbledon of the 80’s would be brutal on the likes of Walker.
    I guarantee if we go for pace at the back, folk will start moaning when we start conceding from set pieces because we lack height and physicality.
    Thankfully LW probably isn’t as worried as some are on here about L2. Assuming Cameron signs I can’t see more than 1 further defender being added.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The conundrum is that more often than not pace and height in footballers don’t go hand in hand. Kyle Walker is very good, BUT, how many premier league teams have 6ft 4 forwards where the ball is put on them? Wimbledon of the 80’s would be brutal on the likes of Walker.
    I guarantee if we go for pace at the back, folk will start moaning when we start conceding from set pieces because we lack height and physicality.
    Thankfully LW probably isn’t as worried as some are on here about L2. Assuming Cameron signs I can’t see more than 1 further defender being added.
    That's why Sowumni from Bromley was a good shout. As an example
    I think we can get somebody at 6ft who is still quick and ticks the other boxes

Great analysis. I think our defence is brittle, like over-hardened steel. While the outer edge isn't penetrated (we have high line possession) it's very strong, but lose possession in our own half and we're in deeper trouble than most.

I think that's mostly down to our tactics, and that's not a bad thing, it's an inevitable side effect. We operated an almost extreme attacking-oriented system for the whole season.

At its worst, our defence consists of a back three, two of whom have a strong attacking focus, and a goalkeeper who is also trying to attack as much as possible. And the result was... we scored a massive amount of goals, and conceded relatively few, except when our brittle defence collapsed. I suspect we'll be "found out" like that more often in L2, but hopefully we'll still be highly competitive.

And I wouldn't swap our system with boreham's for all the tea in china.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    With any style of playing it's about risk v reward and the rewards last season far out weighed the risks with how we played. In the National League our style of play worked. Will it work in league two? Maybe, maybe not. The defenders we have and also the goalkeeper in the style we play are the beginning of the attacks and so like you say are able to play football, pass and dominate the opposition in their own half. The high line allows them to almost be deep holding midfielders and wing backs are essentially wingers and as a unit they pick out passes and probe the opposition.

I can't see our principles of play changing dramatically, more refining and tweaking like what we have seen over the past four seasons. We may end up with defenders who have been in lower league teams who have played out from the back, and are pacey so can recover if we play a high line and are beaten, but also know how to defend robustly when required.
    No I think we will play the same way with perhaps both Bostock and Palmer playing as a defensive pivot(especially away from home) covering the wing backs and covering the centre backs when they travel with the ball.
    I think and would hope we will sign another tall pacey centre back who can damage the opposition if they leave him as the overload.
    Interesting how Boreham let Baldwin be the overload in the semi final but after 3 excellent shots including our goal of the season Chesterfield closed that up at Wembley.
    TBH during the rest of the season Baldwin has shot 30 feet over the bar when he has been the overload and shot for goal to the point where the fans are telling him not to shoot ha ha little did we know !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12