+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    If you want to talk about religion gunt please start a religion thread
    Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

Will do, AF.
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 10-07-2023 at 01:52 PM.

As predicted...Anderson for Robinson on Wednesday...a good thing I think, although getting the all important win on a ground we last beat the Aussies on 42 years ago with the current weather forecast will be a tough ask.
    Moeen Ali to keep the number three spot...not convinced but good luck to him...he has the skills, not sure he has the temperament to resist the risky hook shot. We’ll see.

Not a fan of bringing Anderson back, but well see, when he takes 5 before lunch on the first day my mind may change. Bairstow lucky to still be there.

If I was Australian selector I'd seriously consider pushing Labuschagne up to open in place of Warner and playing Green and Marsh to give the extra 10 over an innings bowler option. You may say that Labuschagne is not a natural opener, but he's done it so often when Warner had been dismissed early doors, why not formalise it. Hazelwood back in place of Boland who has been ineffective to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Not a fan of bringing Anderson back, but well see, when he takes 5 before lunch on the first day my mind may change. Bairstow lucky to still be there.

If I was Australian selector I'd seriously consider pushing Labuschagne up to open in place of Warner and playing Green and Marsh to give the extra 10 over an innings bowler option. You may say that Labuschagne is not a natural opener, but he's done it so often when Warner had been dismissed early doors, why not formalise it. Hazelwood back in place of Boland who has been ineffective to date.
    I never give any thought to the Aussie selection, but agree with what you say about Green, Marsh, Hazelwood and Labuschagne. Suppose what Warner brings, apart from being an amusing hate object, is that he’s the only one of their top order who favours scoring quickly.
    Hopefully Anderson and Bairstow can both prove you wrong. They’ll need to!

Smith and Labuschagne looking threatening!! Oops Smith out on review! Good review!

Need another wicket!

or 3 more. Jimmy an afterthought again - time for him to clean up tail

Lovely day for watching...the sun, untypically, shone all day...so not so good for bowling. Broad and Anderson disappointing, can’t help thinking this may be JA’s last Test unless he pulls something out of the bag in their second innings. Sad but inevitable some time soon.
    Woakes was magnificent imo and seeing Wood in the flesh you have to be impressed by the huge effort he puts in.
    Thought at one stage we’d be looking at 350-5 by close so a decent comeback, but with three days of very ‘mixed’ weather forecast I fear the Aussies have done enough and are now content to just take time out of a game England simply have to win.

Broad moves on to 600 Test wickets. That's twice as many as Fred Trueman when he became the first bowler to take 300 Test wickets and, back then, the commentators of the time though the feat would never be emulated. 59 years on, 36 bowlers have gone past Fred's final total of 307 in 67 Tests and, top of the tree is Muralitharan with 800 in 133 Tests. Of course, there are way more Tests played these days but Mura still averaged more wickets per Test. Fred, rather than 37th in the list would be top 10 on strike rate.

Comparisons don't mean much. Different times.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Broad moves on to 600 Test wickets. That's twice as many as Fred Trueman when he became the first bowler to take 300 Test wickets and, back then, the commentators of the time though the feat would never be emulated. 59 years on, 36 bowlers have gone past Fred's final total of 307 in 67 Tests and, top of the tree is Muralitharan with 800 in 133 Tests. Of course, there are way more Tests played these days but Mura still averaged more wickets per Test. Fred, rather than 37th in the list would be top 10 on strike rate.

Comparisons don't mean much. Different times.
    Agreed, but how many County games did he play compared to today and how many wickets did he take at that level?
    One of Fred's best comments when yet again he nips one past the edge was 'that one were too good for thee lad'!

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)