+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashes 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Indeed but Ali will be a capable replacement. .
    And so it came to pass, the baldy one replaced by the beardy one. Ali on firm would be a real asset imo

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Welcome back AF...please note now nice we’ve all been to each other in your absence...not a single cross word.
    As I said before, politics divides, sport provokes music unites. A dive not been absent, I’ve been here daily so your comment’s I’ll informed, I’m part of the ‘we’

No ‘proposal’...I bow to your local knowledge. He’s just one of three or four names that have been put forward and with Parky no longer in the reckoning I just wondered. Maybe Root is going to have to bowl more than anticipated as we suddenly seem to have a dearth of spinners and a surfeit of ‘keepers who can all bat.

What’s the verdict then? Yesterday was exciting but perhaps a tad irresponsible in terms of Bairstow’s and Ali’s dismissals. Today they’ve been a little unlucky...missed stumping, dropped catch and a clean bowled off a fractional no ball.
    Do you favour England’s extravagance or the Aussie’s greater restraint? Australia score more slowly but, with ten minutes to go today, are in a slightly better position.
    JB having a bit of a ‘mare’ behind the stumps since lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    What’s the verdict then? Yesterday was exciting but perhaps a tad irresponsible in terms of Bairstow’s and Ali’s dismissals. Today they’ve been a little unlucky...missed stumping, dropped catch and a clean bowled off a fractional no ball.
    Do you favour England’s extravagance or the Aussie’s greater restraint? Australia score more slowly but, with ten minutes to go today, are in a slightly better position.
    JB having a bit of a ‘mare’ behind the stumps since lunch.
    Even at the moment as they have to bat 4th on a wicket already spinning / looking a day older than it is. That said it could just curl up and go to sleep and kill the game.

Tomorrow morning key, if we can get a 25/30 run lead I'd have us slightly favoured. If they get 450 then I'll favour them.

Curious declaration last night when we might have added that 25/30 extra runs at the end of day 1. Feel Stokes was bring "too clever" perhaps

It's wall to wall sport for me this weekend, ashes all day followed by the US Open Golf, who needs footie!!??
    Unfortunately, it's being tempered by the loss of a very close mate, golfing pal and fellow cricket nerd who has finally lost his 5 year battle against lung cancer. Unfortunately, he was a Sunderland supporter but we can forgive him for that. RIP pal.
    You certainly never know what's coming next with Stokes, he's certainly not interested in any 'Guide to playing Test Cricket', a guide, however, the Aussies are very much sticking to! Let's be honest, when you've got their batting line up why not stick to the old adage 'grind the buggers down'!
    I have to say it's been 2 interesting and generally good viewing Test Cricket. Whilst I recognise that the declaration was a typical Stokesy aggressive ploy to try and nick a wicket to round off a day of attack, attack, attack, in my opinion, against this lot, under 400 on a slow wicket ain't enough and with Rooty on a roll we should have carried on batting. Early wickets are urgently needed tomorrow or 500 plus looks likely. Aussies favourites to go one up!

I’m a tiny bit proud that I ‘called’ the declaration albeit thinking of when Robinson was out rather than quite when it was. I’d call it imaginative more than ‘curious’.
    Agree with mac’s appraisal of the Aussies...sorry about your mate. Maybe get ‘lost’ in sport, even though golf just doesn’t do it for me, and always remember the positives.

Sorry to hear of your loss Mac, my condolences.
    Regarding the declaration, I was very surprised BUT, I like the attacking intent, trying to win the match rather than avoiding defeat. I felt it was an "aggressive" declaration, to get in the Aussies heads, show no fear and a little bullying of our hosts. It almost paid off, they nearly run themselves out a couple of times in that spell.
    Tactically though, I think we'd have been better slogging out for another 10 overs or so, which could easily be another 100 runs these days.
    All to play for and very exciting, Broad's double wicket had me on my feet.

Easy to say in hindsight but declaring was a mistake imo

Thanks rA and RS, looking back it's hard to believe that we were buddies for nearly 60 years. Great memories.
    To me there's not much more attacking intent than a big score in the first innings, scoreboard pressure counts for a lot. I'm not convinced that we have the batting strength to give two wickets to the Aussies with less than 400 on the board on a benign wicket. Now Mo's got a finger problem which doesn't help our bowling 'attack'! Interesting day ahead.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)