+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction Time

Prediction Time

Manchester City and Newcastle will be playing at least some ‘home’ games in Saudi Arabia within five years. Discuss if you wish, happy to be contradicted but that’s the way I feel the wind blowing and look at how golf has been hijacked in what seems like minutes, F1 too in a wider context

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Manchester City and Newcastle will be playing at least some ‘home’ games in Saudi Arabia within five years. Discuss if you wish, happy to be contradicted but that’s the way I feel the wind blowing and look at how golf has been hijacked in what seems like minutes, F1 too in a wider context
    Saudi Arabia will be ideal for us. The players run around like headless chickens at the best of times.

Starting to feel like Kerry Packer all over again

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Starting to feel like Kerry Packer all over again
    I wouldn't worry, TTR. Forest players won't be leaving the country anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    I wouldn't worry, TTR. Forest players won't be leaving the country anytime soon.
    You're from Barnsley yer pudding. Anything north of Leeds or south of Sheffield, is out thar bloody country lad.

You forgot to add West of Huddersfield

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    The globalisation of the PL has been steadily creeping in over the last several years via firstly players and managers, then ownership and all the while sponsorship, TV rights and merchandising.

It's only an English League by virtue of where the games are played and the team names.

So yes the next move will be to create non friendly games across the global reach. Saudi may be that destination, although maybe Saudi based teams will try to buy their way into the PL.

Another twist in the gradual move to a franchised teams basis, disconnected from their local supporters. cf the Manchester United Surreyfication starting in the 80s.

Glad to see the PL piss off.

The model is all over: NFL regular season games in London, Germany, Canada, Mexico; MLB regular season games in London this weekend. The IPL franchises buying into South Africa, USA, Caribbean leagues. It an inexorable change across most sports.

Remember Rollerball?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The globalisation of the PL has been steadily creeping in over the last several years via firstly players and managers, then ownership and all the while sponsorship, TV rights and merchandising.

It's only an English League by virtue of where the games are played and the team names.

So yes the next move will be to create non friendly games across the global reach. Saudi may be that destination, although maybe Saudi based teams will try to buy their way into the PL.

Another twist in the gradual move to a franchised teams basis, disconnected from their local supporters. cf the Manchester United Surreyfication starting in the 80s.

The model is all over: NFL regular season games in London, Germany, Canada, Mexico; MLB regular season games in London this weekend. The IPL franchises buying into South Africa, USA, Caribbean leagues. It an inexorable change across most sports.

Remember Rollerball?
    As you know I take an interest in NFL and beyond just the games, I was explaining the draft to a luddite friend yesterday (actually because the MLB draft was on UK news), and she wondered if such a drafting process would ever hit football. I'm not sure its possible for a worldwide sport but it may put the 'Gulf states', with their deep pockets, back into the mix instead of BEING the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

Remember Rollerball?
    No I was a Death Race 2000 fan, now THERE'S a sport ripe for reactivation.

There's plenty of new old people's homes to provide stock.... Remember the early video game based on the film?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)