+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: At long last....

At long last....

Guys, many of you contributed to this book and (now it is on general sale) I want to acknowledge and express my thanks to you.
    Mostly via email, I got chatting to a lot of United supporters. It was great fun reliving and often laughing again about the incredible events of 82-83. The stunning wins at the likes of Parkhead and Pittodrie, Holtie’s hat-trick, Ralph trying to kick Alex McLeish in the pus, the Morton 4-0 at Cappielow (one of the best United away days in the club’s history) and all the other little things that added up to so much – plus reminders of Luggy’s pub, and Winstons, the Glass Bucket, The Barracuda!
    I also found it fascinating to get the stories of how people came to be United supporters, or why they chose United over Dundee or any other club. Some similar to my own experience, some that amused or bemused me.
    I’ve said this before but this is a new way to approach doing a football book. The reminiscences of the players are brilliant, don’t get me wrong, but the memories and experiences of so many ordinary fans are incredibly valuable. I’ve stumbled upon something – a way to record an event, a way to capture history in a unique way. This isn’t just a book, it is a social document recording an era, a season, a momentous occasion for the city. Sometimes you have to read between the lines a little, but there are personal stories that go above and beyond football. I spoke to a librarian who told me that diarised accounts of events in the past are quite common, but gathering scores of different viewpoints to a single event is very rare.
    We, us United supporters, have created something pretty special.
    This couldn’t have been done without the good will of fans like you, and some second-hand accounts from people no longer with us. And some people who don’t even like football.
    An example being this account (below). I freely admit, had tears streaming from me! It is given in the woman’s own words and I think it carries genuine sentiment that brilliantly describes what football means to people, and yet isn’t really about football at all.
    Anyways, the book is in the United shop now and, in my opinion, the best Father’s Day gift in existence.
    Thanks again. I owe you all a pint.
    Name:  Munro.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  62.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Loving the book, almost finished the players section, and really looking forward to reading the fans section. Cheers!

Hi Steve. The book is fantastic and I would urge as many arabs as possible to get a copy while they can. It's a great overview of a fantastic team and season. My only disappointment was that you never included my name or my late dad's in the fans credits when you had confirmed in an e-mail that you would but I guess it must have missed the deadline. Best of luck with it Steve.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)