+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer Rumour & Transfer Thread

Pass - I agree with nearly all of that.
    One thing to remember tho is that many events you mention could well have been influenced by Paul Conway which came to a head of course in the 21/22 season.

He’s not in charge now - so as mentioned, what we will see with recruitment in the coming years is something that more resembles what Patrick and James had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Pass - I agree with nearly all of that.
    One thing to remember tho is that many events you mention could well have been influenced by Paul Conway which came to a head of course in the 21/22 season.

He’s not in charge now - so as mentioned, what we will see with recruitment in the coming years is something that more resembles what Patrick and James had in mind.

I also mentioned the selling of the 2016 team which Conway had nothing to do with. The moneyball system has many flaws. I was pointing out that in 10 years of it's use at Barnsley, it doesn't work at championship level unless you're prepared to invest in it.

Pat and James Cryne deserve credit because they identified the likes of Winnall, Hourihane, Scowen, Roberts, Mawson to mention a few of the 2016 team and they were all good players. However, they were on modest contracts at Oakwell as we were in league one when they all signed for us.

They were offered new deals when we went up but wouldn't sign. This is where the investment factor comes in. Had we been in a position to pay them the going rate and get them to sign new contracts, then it would've made our position stronger as a club, so instead of losing Hourihane and Winnall for peanuts, we could've commanded millions for them. Even better still, we would've had a solid championship team and could've kicked on to better things.

To me it seems that we want to use moneyball to finance the club. That was Patrick Crynes idea as he was sick of putting in his own millions to finance things which he had done prior to the introduction of moneyball. Fair doos. However, it's a catch 22 situation in regard of ambition. You can't expect success if you're not prepared to invest in football. This is why it will never work for us at championship level using this moneyball system. Our better players will keep getting cherry picked by wealthier clubs and we remain as the yo yo club that we've been in these last 10 years.

It's been crying out for investment but there's nobody prepared to finance it. It just tells me that the people behind our system don't truly belive in it to be brutally honest. We've been standing in a puddle for so long we've now got webbed feet. It'll not change either imo. We'll see Connell leave, Mads leave, Cadden etc leave for bigger clubs and modest transfer fees because this is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I also mentioned the selling of the 2016 team which Conway had nothing to do with. The moneyball system has many flaws. I was pointing out that in 10 years of it's use at Barnsley, it doesn't work at championship level unless you're prepared to invest in it.

Pat and James Cryne deserve credit because they identified the likes of Winnall, Hourihane, Scowen, Roberts, Mawson to mention a few of the 2016 team and they were all good players. However, they were on modest contracts at Oakwell as we were in league one when they all signed for us.

They were offered new deals when we went up but wouldn't sign. This is where the investment factor comes in. Had we been in a position to pay them the going rate and get them to sign new contracts, then it would've made our position stronger as a club, so instead of losing Hourihane and Winnall for peanuts, we could've commanded millions for them. Even better still, we would've had a solid championship team and could've kicked on to better things.

To me it seems that we want to use moneyball to finance the club. That was Patrick Crynes idea as he was sick of putting in his own millions to finance things which he had done prior to the introduction of moneyball. Fair doos. However, it's a catch 22 situation in regard of ambition. You can't expect success if you're not prepared to invest in football. This is why it will never work for us at championship level using this moneyball system. Our better players will keep getting cherry picked by wealthier clubs and we remain as the yo yo club that we've been in these last 10 years.

It's been crying out for investment but there's nobody prepared to finance it. It just tells me that the people behind our system don't truly belive in it to be brutally honest. We've been standing in a puddle for so long we've now got webbed feet. It'll not change either imo. We'll see Connell leave, Mads leave, Cadden etc leave for bigger clubs and modest transfer fees because this is what happens.
    Interesting & well put together points & most of of it hard to disagree with , however & with respect , how & where are we going to get the investment from , genuine question because I see clubs like Wigan & Reading & even Wednesday who have chased the dream but ended up in a mess , its a question I have asked my self as a fan over 60 years thousands of times , how do we attract the finance & investment for a club & fan base the size of ours ? I have yet to come up with a credible answer & when Conway & his mob came in I thought the answer had arrived but alas we all know how that has gone .

The closest we have got is the John Dennis/ Danny Wilson/ Dave Bassett era when the financial playing field was slightly more level with the Premiership having just got underway in the early 90's A season in the Prem meant players such as Craig Hignett were coming to Oakwell.
    It all went t1ts up in the Championship Play Off Final against Ipswich in 2000 followed by administration two years later with the collapse of ITV Digital, We have not got over that financially 20 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Interesting & well put together points & most of of it hard to disagree with , however & with respect , how & where are we going to get the investment from
    That's the $64000 question Shads and I honestly don't know.

It's not just throwing money at it like Wednesday and Wigan have with respect Shads.

How I see it is that moneyball and stats have served us well in respect of the fees that we've paid for players over the last 10 years. We've bought some real bargains in to be fair. We've also had some poor recruitment just to add balance, it has to be said.

I can see the logic behind our policy but the fact is that after 10 years at it, we've gone backwards both on the pitch and off it. A decade is a long time and in my opinion proves quite conclusive that the clubs policy needs investment in order to thrive.

Michael Duff linked with Swansea City is the latest rumour doing the rounds if Russell Martin does indeed take the Southampton job .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    That's the $64000 question Shads and I honestly don't know.

It's not just throwing money at it like Wednesday and Wigan have with respect Shads.

How I see it is that moneyball and stats have served us well in respect of the fees that we've paid for players over the last 10 years. We've bought some real bargains in to be fair. We've also had some poor recruitment just to add balance, it has to be said.

I can see the logic behind our policy but the fact is that after 10 years at it, we've gone backwards both on the pitch and off it. A decade is a long time and in my opinion proves quite conclusive that the clubs policy needs investment in order to thrive.
    poor recruitment goes with the job, I doubt that there is any club out of the 92 that do not make mistakes on the recruitment front, lets be fair if you get above 50% right on your transfer dealings then you are not doing too bad & that is one of the reasons I do not mind loan signings, at least if you get it wrong the player goes back & if you have a successful loan signing then he has done a job for you without having to gamble on laying out the costs involved, regarding the investment then all businesses need investment or they stand still or go backwards but we can bang that drum as loud as we can but I ask the question " Where does the investment come from ? " not only do we nedd it on the pitch but also on the ground etc but unless the Tykes money fairy looks kindly on us then we are struggling .

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Isted is reported to be looking at offers from at least one other club before signing a contract at Barnsley.

Thadda thought this one would have been tied up by now. Wages again maybe ?
    It’ll be huddersfield, they want to cash in on Nichols.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Michael Duff linked with Swansea City is the latest rumour doing the rounds if Russell Martin does indeed take the Southampton job .
    Predicted this a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    There's one drawback for Swansea unfortunately... Duff dunt like sheep

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast