+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Summer Rumour & Transfer Thread

Official Summer Rumour & Transfer Thread

I'll start with this lad from Brentford linked with us .

https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/stat...40440814370817

In Duff we trust! If he wants him then he must think he can do a job for us? Personally he doesn’t look like a signing that would get anybody excited!
    I’m hoping we try and get Rak-Sakhi on loan from Palace!
    I see that Rodrigues we were linked with at Notts County has chosen Oxford, I can’t see why he would have chosen them over us, so it must have been that we were not interested?

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    In Duff we trust! If he wants him then he must think he can do a job for us? Personally he doesn’t look like a signing that would get anybody excited!
    That's the thing with our transfer policy over these last 10 years Perks. How can we get excited about a new signing that no bugga has even heard of or seen laiking? Take last season with Connell, Phillips, Cadden etc. Wid nivver heard o them but they turned out to be good acquisitions. Duff ez to mould em together into a good unit and get results- that's his bit. The main responsibility for new signings rests wi the recruitment team- In genius James we trust!!

Gone are the days when tried and tested proven quality player comes into Oakwell -the likes of a David Currie returns or a Wayne Biggins comes in or a John Hendrie, Neil Thompson or a Craig Hignett type player signs. It's just a case of suck it and see these days. Some signings work out, others not so.

Unless some supporter are not taking much interest in how things are done at Barnsley - I don’t know why the recruitment process has to be continually explained.

The head coach eg Duff does NOT target potential players.
    That role is carried out by James Cryne and his recruitment team.

The process works on the lines of this:
    The head coach says for example we need another right wing back.
    The recruitment team then present the head coach with several options.
    The head coach then places the players into a list of who he would prefer eg try for player A first, then if that player is unattainable then go for player B, then C.
    It’s then the role of the CEO with the support of the head coach to try and persuade one of those players to join the club.

The players that are targeted are generally younger players that have potential which can be developed and are able to play in the Barnsley high press style.
    So no wonder no one will have heard of them.

What’s happened in the recent past is that Paul Conway has interfered with the process and knocked it off track - which has caused all types of problems.
    What we will see IMO in the coming few years is the recruitment process in its purest form, being carried out as it should have always been done.
    This for me is very exciting.

The Barnsley recruitment strategy is far removed from most other clubs who still go down the traditional route of throwing as much money as they can at recruiting players.

Im not saying this because of recent events but a prime example of this is Sheffield Wednesday - who again in this close season will try to fish for players in ponds where they just cannot compete.
    Consequently they end up throw £££ millions at older players that have been around the block a few times - but even those players demand a transfer fee and high wages.
    Last I heard Wednesday were £60 million in debt and counting.
    The older players in their squad will not be able to compete in the Championship - so Darren Moore has now been left with the unenviable task of trying to find a nearly new squad.

As I’ve said before - us Barnsley fans need to be very very graceful for the directors and recruitment strategy we have at Barnsley.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 14-06-2023 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    I see that Rodrigues we were linked with at Notts County has chosen Oxford, I can’t see why he would have chosen them over us, so it must have been that we were not interested?
    We will have been blown out of the water by the wages offered at Oxford and Derby, who were also in for him.

The reality of the club finances is that we are fishing in an even smaller pond of free agents, loans or tiny fees. "Casper" Lopata came on a free from Woking and that is our level to look at for recruitment beyond loans. Our wage levels can only compete with Fourth Division/ non league levels and there aren't many Pinnocks out there.

Iseka, Styles and Moon are back on our books from 1st July. Iseka alone has two years to run on a four year contract at £6K to £7K a week, 400K a year plus NI and Pension payments. Unless Ahmad's big and exciting news is that Parekh has cleared all the club's deficits and loans then we need to clear the decks of high wage earners and sell some prize assets before we can begin to fish elsewhere.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 14-06-2023 at 07:10 AM.

Isted is reported to be looking at offers from at least one other club before signing a contract at Barnsley.

Thadda thought this one would have been tied up by now. Wages again maybe ?

You are correct Nudge about the basic recruitment process.

On has to think there may have been a nod and a wink between Genius James and Mr Duff when Burnley players like Phillips and B Thomas and Forest Green's Cadden appear on the list Duff has to prioritise.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Isted is reported to be looking at offers from at least one other club before signing a contract at Barnsley.

Isted is a good player and I’d like to see him at Barnsley - but to be honest I’m not that bothered which employees goes or who comes in - and that extends to Duff.
    We will get a good replacement whoever leaves.

The only people that need to remain at the club are JAQ, James and Neerav.
    This solid base will form the foundation of any success the club has in the future.

The only concern I have at the moment is that we get a good deal for whoever goes.
    For example - Sheffield Wednesday supporters are liking the look of Mads.
    If Mads goes then I’m sure the present group of directors will demand a fair transfer fee for him.
    I’d be very surprised if Wednesday would be able to afford that valuation.

However, if Mads did go to Wednesday then it would cross one of my red lines.
    The red lines being:
    1) Players are not sold in January if we are in a relegation or promotion battle.
    2) We get a good deal for any player sold (which has yet to be accomplished by the club).
    3) Players are not sold to our rivals for supporters ie Leeds and the Sheffield clubs.

As been disclosed by the club - contingency plans have been put in place if we got promoted or we stayed in the 1st Division.
    I’m confident that all eventualities will have been covered with regard to individuals leaving - and that extends to back room staff including the head coach.

It's all well and good using our transfer policy whilst in league 1. The standard in our division is nowhere near the standard of the championship. We can take gambles on players in this division and invariably they'll come off. It's the bigger picture that concerns me.

In the last 10 years since the moneyball system was put into place, Barnsley has never settled in the championship and successfully built on it. There's various reasons for that and my opinion is that there's been too many overhauls of the squad and turnover of head coaches. The examples being the promotion team of 2016 being the first to succumb. That excellent team was broken up and sold on. The replacements took too long to bed in resulting in relegation in 2018.

The second was the promotion squad of 2019. We had a team capable of competing in the championship after Stendel secured promotion but it was decimated and again, the replacements took a while to bed in. On this occasion we somehow survived on the final day after victory at Brentford. Unbelievable really. We were dead and buried but got away with it thanks to Wigans points deduction.

Then there was Vals season- A complete one off. Vertical football was put into place by the head coach and the opposition struggled to cope with it or combat it. However, with the intensity we played at, it was never sustainable with a small squad and yet again that summer, we lost our club captain, the experience of Sollbauer, our head coach, our entire backroom staff and our CEO who incidently, was our best CEO in years.

Then Conway, in his wisdom, decided he knew how football matters should be run both on the pitch and off it resulting in a calamitous season where we obtained only 6 victories out of 46 league games resulting in finishing rock bottom 24th and plunging the club into big debt. The worst season in our history imo.

The key here is analysing those mistakes and not repeating them. It's also as important to not repeat mistakes that lead to the breakdown of the relationship
    between the club and it's supporters. If the reformed board have owt abart them then they won't go down the same path that the club has trodden in the last decade. We need to build on Duffs excellent work. However, finances will dictate. We have to bear that in mind. This is where some investment would be so welcome. This is where some clarity would be appreciated by the supporters who have been kept in the dark for far too long by Barnsley fc.

It's still raw after our Wembley defeat but as supporters, we can only wait and see what unfolds at the club up to the end of August when the transfer window closes. We will only then perhaps see what the state of affairs are.

Parekh came in last summer and said judge us by our actions. So far they've been true to their word and we had a much better season both on and off the pitch than the majority anticipated. This is what we now need to build on because not only are most of the supporters back onside, the team and the head coach with the necessary backing can get promotion next season. This period of the next 3 months is where the trust built up could be easily lost if the board do not act accordingly.

Big big summer this for the club. I'd suggest that the communication between BFC and it's supporters is of paramount importance. My bugbear is that maybe the CEO doesn't yet get what Barnsley people are about. His stupid tweet or whatever it was saying that big news was imminent is something that I loathe. Listen Khaled- Barnsley folk are straightforward people who just want directness and honesty. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

Maybe it is because the other club who are thought to be Hull City who play in the championship , it can be numerous things , not sure that we shudda had it tied up as the lad is contacted at Luton until the end of june & I feel sure his agent will be looking at what opportunities present themselves especially as the lad has put himself well & truly in the shop window , no need for him to rush into anything

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast