+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Morris to Stoke?

The current England squad is full of academy graduates. Are you saying they are not as good as National League players.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    With the 'right' coaching, perhaps you would have been a pretty good player at 15, professional standard at 18, and played for your country when you were 20.

That seems a fair point but my case is that the younger we are, generally the less strong we are and so when we grow we do get a lot stronger and generally fitter and as we play against better players, we also get better not because of coaching but out of human instinct if that makes sense. ie the hunter gets better or he will starve to death.

Academies are not designed to make us stronger although we may get a bit fitter with gym work and playing matches. I was a good single figure handicap golfer but there was no way on earth that I could become scratch and there were some at our golf club that were lower than scratch and brilliant golfers but again nowhere near pro standard. Its human natural ability that makes the difference. Coaching in my simple view is irrelevant and in some ways counter productive as they can remove or reduce that natural ability because the coaches want them to play by numbers. There are actually no brilliant coaches that have played at the highest level and why so many are mediocre really. I was reading about the really great players we had in the past way before academies and they all got to play for England because they were so good when they played against other kids in the street. Its actually why I have the views that Jimmy Greaves had about all that..

I contend that we at Crewe have rarely if ever managed to get a player with a great throw as no doubt the coaches and Doctors would not allow kids to train that technique as too damaging to their youngish bodies.
    Last edited by MikeSB; 20-06-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OzMozz View Post
    The current England squad is full of academy graduates. Are you saying they are not as good as National League players.
    When I last looked, a while back, I was looking at the PL selection of players in the first team and very few eg about 5% were ever selected for the first team from their academies and why clubs spend 70million on buying players from abroad. Of course as most English National players have been through the academy then they wiil try and argue their skills are due to that but there will be always players coming through, even here at Crewe that are far better than most in the squad eg Nick Powell but even he could not make it in the PL..He has just been sacked by Stoke.

The question then becomes, how many academy players nationally ever get to play in their first teams and in the National Leagues? That would answer a lot of questions.

Actually I would like coaches and managers to come onto these forums and explain exactly what they do from Monday to Saturday and let us into their secrets about 'coaching' and indeed 'management'

Why don't we ever see any of them do that? Even Dario would have a lot to offer here..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Actually I would like coaches and managers to come onto these forums and explain exactly what they do from Monday to Saturday and let us into their secrets about 'coaching' and indeed 'management'

Why don't we ever see any of them do that? Even Dario would have a lot to offer here..
    That is a non starter, because for one thing they would not want to waste their time justifying their existence to someone locked into the dinosaur age, and also they are unlikely to have the time because I imagine their jobs are full time

When I last looked, a while back, I was looking at the PL selection of players in the first team and very few eg about 5% were ever selected for the first team from their academies and why clubs spend 70million on buying players from abroad. Of course as most English National players have been through the academy then they wiil try and argue their skills are due to that but there will be always players coming through, even here at Crewe that are far better than most in the squad eg Nick Powell but even he could not make it in the PL..He has just been sacked by Stoke.

The question then becomes, how many academy players nationally ever get to play in their first teams and in the National Leagues? That would answer a lot of questions.
    Having a quick look at the PL squads, I would guess that over 90% of players came through a team’s academy, not necessarily the current team they are playing with. Academies work. Simple !

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    That is a non starter, because for one thing they would not want to waste their time justifying their existence to someone locked into the dinosaur age, and also they are unlikely to have the time because I imagine their jobs are full time
    In the dinosaur age we won the world cup and have not made the final since...

Of course they have plenty of time but probably they won't has too much criticism from fans on their views.

Dario told me that the problem with the EEEP system was that the 'coaches' spend most of their time on computers since they have to measure and log every single thing each player does. Under 18's are at school and so what do the coaches and managers do during the day? Oh they work at night then?

Its not their existence they need to justify Timmy, its the plain old facts that almost no other club at the lower league level wants or desires a Cat2 academy and Brentford has ditched their Cat1 and Cat2 academy and were what 8th in the PL?

I would guess that it was only Dario that was on the working group of EEEP of the FA that caused him to go for Cat2 which is strange as most PL clubs academies don't play teams in the Cat2 and below..Their loss hey?

I suppose when other clubs PL start to abandon the EEEP people here will admit they were a waste of money....see our last two seasons to confirm that and 2 million spent on ours?? Better signing better players methinks!

And yet another hijacked thread!! For petes sake, stop ruining the forum. You're even replying to yourself now!!

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    And yet another hijacked thread!! For petes sake, stop ruining the forum. You're even replying to yourself now!!
    Solution?

Why don't you stop reading and posting on this forum as you rarely contribute anything worthwhile. IMO at least!

I do not reply to myself unless someone is asking a question...Lots to learn but few learners...

Solution?

Why don't you stop reading and posting on this forum as you rarely contribute anything worthwhile. IMO at least!

I do not reply to myself unless someone is asking a question...Lots to learn but few learners...
    Back to the arrogance

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast