+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Morris to Stoke?

Morris to Stoke?

On the cards, it would appear.

Raises interesting questions if he goes: will Bell manage without him? Will the club replace him (as a possible cost saving exercise). Is this the rumour mentioned a few weeks ago taking place? How important has he been at the club?

Personally do not feel it would be a big loss. could be cost saving exercise, or yet another opportunity to promote internally.

Perhaps someone has read the email that MikeSB sent to the club (?)

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Perhaps someone has read the email that MikeSB sent to the club (?)
    The one offering his services as a coach?

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Personally do not feel it would be a big loss. could be cost saving exercise, or yet another opportunity to promote internally.
    I feel that anyone leaving the club who has been around the younger players as long as Morris has will be a loss. Might not impact the first team so much but his is a key voice around the place.

Personally do not feel it would be a big loss.
    I'm sorry but that's just plain rude and dismisses all the years that Alex Morris has served our club so well. He has been involved in the development of all our young players for over 20 years and has been a big part in whatever successes the club has had in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    I'm sorry but that's just plain rude and dismisses all the years that Alex Morris has served our club so well. He has been involved in the development of all our young players for over 20 years and has been a big part in whatever successes the club has had in that time.
    The academy is supposed to be the essential basis of the club so where is the success for the 1st team in recent years. Our standard of football has been dire. Why is my post rude and dismissive? There is nothing personal in my post. Management and coaches rightly are judged by the results of the 1st team and that is the way it should be for all professional clubs.

The academy is supposed to be the essential basis of the club so where is the success for the 1st team in recent years. Our standard of football has been dire. Why is my post rude and dismissive? There is nothing personal in my post. Management and coaches rightly are judged by the results of the 1st team and that is the way it should be for all professional clubs.
    I think to point of contention is that Morris would not be missed. He definitely will be missed if he goes.

Success in recent years? A promotion and a pretty good season in League 1 was achieved with significant contribution from Academy players who had made the step up to the first team, and Morris would have been a massive part of the development of those players. And that was a success.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I think to point of contention is that Morris would not be missed. He definitely will be missed if he goes.

Success in recent years? A promotion and a pretty good season in League 1 was achieved with significant contribution from Academy players who had made the step up to the first team, and Morris would have been a massive part of the development of those players. And that was a success.

Does that help?
    I suppose its OK me having a say on this...

The academy success or failure is how it supplies players for the first team and getting income from transfer fees to help support it. The evidence we have is that we have had a promotion or two but also some dire seasons like the last two and the last player we got a significant transfer fee from was what? Powell, 10 or more years ago.

The costs of a million pounds a year for the academy is around 10 million pounds over that period and why I want to know how much of that is provided by the FA/PL and the club itself. Nobody at the club wants to divulge that and the question is then why, what's the problem? We then have to estimate whether the money we put in to the academy (if any) could have bought far better players than we having to wait ten years and millions spent to find out. Clubs our size and the National League seem able to manage without a Cat2 academy and some PL sides are ditching all or parts of the academy as they too want to see footballers near 20 years of age, not 5 years of age or even 15 years of age.

Until the club provides us with the information, its reasonable to remain sceptical and whether you want to see academy graduates on the pitch for 27 quid a match is subjective. For me it's easy. I don't! There are more than enough footballers around to provide whatever is needed as we can see with clubs now who have played far better football than us and achieved more in the last ten years at least.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast