+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: McGoldrick or Rodrigues

McGoldrick or Rodrigues

Now the dust/emotion has settled on the two deals, what are peoples thoughts as to who they would rather have playing for us next season.

As much as I would have loved to see RR in a black and white shirt next season, my head tells me McGoldrick will be better for us.

Assuming we're getting the same player other fans are describing then definitely David McGoldrick.

Ruben had unbelievable levels of silk for National League but we've signed someone who has done it at all levels above.

What a horrible yet brilliant question for a Sunday night and beyond.

Read/seen a few unbiased reviews of the signing of McGoldrick and they all say it's the L2 signing of the season by far and he'll show his class. Personally I'd like them both but that's just greedy. I'll be keeping an eye on RR though see how he gets on to see if he can perform without LW.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 18-06-2023 at 10:34 PM.

I will go for McGoldrick. Ruben couldn't get away quick enough to cash in on his star player status that we gave him....

McGoldrick in his prime was top level championship/lower premier league.

Rodrigues, no matter how we have taken to him is probably in his prime now and not proven any higher than the national league. He's a very good player, but probably top end league 1.

In that regard, we are probably comparing two players of similar quality in their current ability, but we are getting a player that has experience of higher levels. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer both but if I had to chose, I think it would be McGoldrick.

Rodrigues could be ruffled, look at the playoffs where both teams had plans for him, league 2 sides are going to have more quality and therefore a better chance of stopping Rodrigues. few league 1 sides could stop McGoldrick for instance

McGoldrick for me too…. as I said when he signed, it’s a stella signing and one I wouldn’t have believed was possible. Loved Rubes when he was on his game but the semi and the final was the last straw for me… his head was clearly turned and he just didn’t look bothered. Sorry to see him go but eh ho… we are Notts County etc etc etc.

McGoldrick will alway score a hatful of goals each season, no matter what level he plays at… proven goal scorer and incredibly skilful and difficult player to play against.

I might have gone with Rodrigues given the chance. We will be lucky to get a season or two out of McGoldrick before he retires and he will be declining during that time, whereas Rodrigues is mid-career with probably a bit of a room to grow.

But, I think we've done well. Hopefully McGoldrick is as good as everyone remembers last season, but we've been burned before with people coming to the lane to retire, so part of my brain is mentally preparing for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    I might have gone with Rodrigues given the chance. We will be lucky to get a season or two out of McGoldrick before he retires and he will be declining during that time, whereas Rodrigues is mid-career with probably a bit of a room to grow.

But, I think we've done well. Hopefully McGoldrick is as good as everyone remembers last season, but we've been burned before with people coming to the lane to retire, so part of my brain is mentally preparing for that.
    McGoldrick, his heart is in our club.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I will go for McGoldrick. Ruben couldn't get away quick enough to cash in on his star player status that we gave him....
    I'm pretty sure he had a part to play in his star player status too. The club and it's coaches helped no doubt but you have to work with good raw ingredients, and he was very good.

I HEART Ruben

The answer is McGoldrick, one of L1s very best players last season , a Championship level player now in L2.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast