+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: McGoldrick or Rodrigues

Put it this way, if Ruben was 35 and McGoldrick 27 99% of folk would be delighted and this would be seen as a massive upgrade. I think it really comes down to DM’s fitness levels. If he’s still got the legs for the next two years, we’re not a weakened team.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Brutal, but true.

I think the fitness aspect is key for RR to progress. He looked slow and tired towards the end of the season, and even his touch looked heavy. He'll need to really apply himself if he wants to be a regular in L1.
    That was the reason subtly given by NA why he wasn't selected week in week out in that first season and why he rarely did a full 90 mins when starting.

Obviously in time and under IB that improved significantly and his energy levels under LW were there for all to see for the vast majority of the season.

I fear for RR, I think he should have had a 1 year contract with us to get used to the faster and more physical game and then tried his luck in L1.

I think the fact that RR showed so much enthusiasm and positive vibes in his time with us led him to be a firm fan's favourite,and rightly so,but was so so frustrating towards the latter part of the season which led to murmers of 'head being turned' or 'not being fit' which meant showed what other class players we've got when our 'star player(s)' aren't performing!
    Speaking to a cricketing teammate who is a Rams season ticket holder yesterday for the first time since DM's move and he is still astounded at how they've let him go and said he was the best player they've had in years and convinced he'll tear up the 2nd division!!

I don't think it's a direct comparison, Ruben was more of an attacking mid whereas I think McGoldrick is more of a second striker - not much in it, admittedly, but both will have brought different things to the team. Don't want to be negative but I just hope our style of play will complement McGoldrick's attributes

I think the physical aspect highlighted by many is the key. As you go up the league's, the fitness and physicality needs increase dramatically. DM has shown he can handle tough leagues. RR was operating in a team playing with an ideal system for him.
    So, DM would be my pick, but I hope RR conquers the Division 1 challenge. It will be a good marker for the other players.

Ruben was good in the National League, apart from from when we played the likes of Wrexham, Chesterfield and Borehamwood. In those games he was closely marked and was ineffective. Div. 1 will consist of teams that much better than any of those in the National league, and i think this may prove to be a step too far for him..
    Last edited by durhampie; 19-06-2023 at 12:41 PM.

Some interesting comments. RRs lack of genuine pace should be a negative at L1 level, but his obvious strength should be a big positive.

I hope the question we are not all asking in a few weeks is:
    McGoldrick or Langstaff?

I'm not going to be taking as much interest in RR's next step as I thought I would, he's chosen something of a backwater so let him be regaled by stories of the Milk Cup until he faints from boredom

On the other hand, the references on how good Didzy is are mouth-watering

Seeing is believing though, so I'll stick with my original pick for this question until that time. Generally speaking, players find their right level and as things stand Rodrigues is a L1 player and McGoldrick is a L2 player.

There's a massive statistical void to fill in terms of goals/assists/key passes etc etc - really hope DMcG can fill the bulk of that, and Sam and Jodi can take it to the next level too.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast