+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luggy documentary

Luggy documentary

Really looking forward to this.

Luggy doc on BBC Scotland 2230 Friday 23rd. Read a bit about it in the daily ranger. Gary linker on it talking about the team, Luggy and how we deserved the win.

It's on BBC I player now , brilliant. So is the Archie McPherson one. I don't think you have to wait if you can access the I Player.

Just watched the Luggy episode - very emotional. I don't think he has ever realised just how good he was. What a time it was to be a United supporter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    It's on BBC I player now , brilliant. So is the Archie McPherson one. I don't think you have to wait if you can access the I Player.
    Cheers bud. Just watched it. Great watch. Have some special memories of luggy through the 80s so was always aware of just how special a player he was for us. What I didn’t realise was just how good a manager he was and how highly rated he is

It’s sad to see the affects Parkinson’s is having on him now, but some of my best memories came from always watching him terrorising defences at tanny with his socks at his ankle. God bless you wee man. 🧡🖤

Yeah, it's a good watch. Good comments from Heggie throughout too. Surprised they didn't show his goal against East Germany in there. But plenty of good moments for arabs to enjoy.

Luggy was a great player, and a great servant to DUFC.

If we could have one player back from the 80s, it would have to be be Luggy. Even above Dave Narey. Luggy made the players around him better. Give him the ball and he'd create something. Billy Kirkwood (who has had the longest career in football of any of the 82-83 team) explained to me how Luggy would bring other players into the game, and whenever Luggy got the ball, or looked like he was about to get the ball, the rest of the forwards started their next run, knowing he'd find them. It is demonstrated brilliantly in "that" goal at Dens in 1983. Ralphie starts his run before the ball is even at Luggy's feet. There was also a "cross-face running" move they'd do (I've put a diagram of it in the 1982-83 book) that relied on Luggy being able to take the ball under pressure from a defender behind him and choose which player to feed as they cross paths in front of him then run past. Incredibly simple, yet it worked incredibly often. Same with the throw-in move he and Ralphie perfected. I don't understand why teams today don't copy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    If we could have one player back from the 80s, it would have to be be Luggy. Even above Dave Narey. Luggy made the players around him better. Give him the ball and he'd create something. Billy Kirkwood (who has had the longest career in football of any of the 82-83 team) explained to me how Luggy would bring other players into the game, and whenever Luggy got the ball, or looked like he was about to get the ball, the rest of the forwards started their next run, knowing he'd find them. It is demonstrated brilliantly in "that" goal at Dens in 1983. Ralphie starts his run before the ball is even at Luggy's feet. There was also a "cross-face running" move they'd do (I've put a diagram of it in the 1982-83 book) that relied on Luggy being able to take the ball under pressure from a defender behind him and choose which player to feed as they cross paths in front of him then run past. Incredibly simple, yet it worked incredibly often. Same with the throw-in move he and Ralphie perfected. I don't understand why teams today don't copy that.
    That's a very good point. Why not give it a go ?

Did notice at the Scotland match in Atlantis , that we tried an auld low corner to the front post (hopefully a flick) , which worked , and is very hard to defend.

Might be time to ignore the X Box tactics and get back to what actually , might work in oor leagues. Yi never know.

What is the title of the documentary plz and is it in yout. yet.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    Icons of Football - I went on the BBC football website, clicked on Scottish football and if you scroll down the series is available there. It takes you to the BBC I Player and you can select which episode you want to watch (Luggy is episode 2). Or you can just go onto the BBC I player on your TV. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    It's on BBC iPlayer so you will most likely need a VPN from Cyprus. 🙂

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)